The Official Taxes Thread Vol. 2010

Im pretty sure as long as you over 18 you can file as an independent. Even if you still live in your parents house. and you arent still in school. I think ifyou go to school, and live in the house then you are supposed to file as a dependent under one of your parents. But you could give it a shot.

Just make sure you tell your father that you filing as an independent. Because if you file as independent, and he files you as one of his dependents you andyour father will be audited. My mother forgot to tell her Tax guy that I was filing as an independent and they came at her for an audit. But she fixed that upreal quick, since that was the only questionable thing on her return.

Well my parents wont care if I claim myself because they know I will get more of a return if I filed as independent... Im 21, full time student(no loans orscholarships) and made about $16k last year...

Worked Part-time and made a lil bit above 7k. But, I claimed 1 dependent on my checks so they didnt take that much out of my income regarding taxes (They tookout betweet $50-150 for income taxes out of my checks total for the whole year) Paid tution for one semester (About $700) and Im currently enrolled in schoolfull-time. How much could I see back? My buddy was telling me that being in school, there are good sentiments about this and I could possibly see a lot morecash back. Thanks!

Originally Posted by amarusgear

what if i didnt work?
No income, no taxes.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

usually during tax times, yahoo and google will release new articles with new items that can benefit you
smile.gif

Getting back $3.5k

pretty good for a broke college student w/ no wife/kids..
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

These Hope Scholarship/learning credit are a gift.
eek.gif
eek.gif

Going straight to savings.. Hopefully i can do a Euro trip for at least a month this summer.

Will i get audited for never filing my income from interest on savings/MMAs?? i figured it's only a couple hundred bucks from the past few years the IRSwon't hassle me over that, will they?
embarassed.gif

I work part time, made about $12.5K, go to school FT, and i'm claimed as a dependent. Is it normal for it to say I hsould pay almost 700 in federal tax? Ionly paid like 200 last year.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by bjm5295

I work part time, made about $12.5K, go to school FT, and i'm claimed as a dependent. Is it normal for it to say I hsould pay almost 700 in federal tax? I only paid like 200 last year.
ohwell.gif
I dont see how you should be paying anything at all...

question: how big of an L is it that my employer put the wrong social on my w2? they put a 3 instead of a 2 for the third digit. made 10k with them.

tired.gif

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Yezzir. Great when you have a child, about 5k+ return.

if you end up with a "refund" of that size, its called welfare.  i would wager most of the people here likely arent paying any real tax on income.

Originally Posted by DublBagn

cant wait...this is my first year writing off home deductions and interest....should see a nice lump of cash to throw at a new car (i need one bad)...I cantwait to see how much I get back...
yea, dont get used to it because it will probably be our last.  chances are high that obama lets that tax credit expire after 2010.

Which one gives you the maximum refund, Turbo Tax or a tax agency? I have all my documents and I calculated  it on Turbo Tax, I had a BIGGER refund last year and this year I'm barely breaking $700!

Originally Posted by bjm5295

I work part time, made about $12.5K, go to school FT, and i'm claimed as a dependent. Is it normal for it to say I hsould pay almost 700 in federal tax? Ionly paid like 200 last year.
ohwell.gif

frown.gif
 Same here. I think I'm going to skip doing my taxes.
embarassed.gif
eyes.gif

where can i find an easy tax calculator/estimator online? i googled it but several are mad confusing

I'm pissed I owe them $14. I ran over to the tax office thinking I would get 2k+ back and end up owing.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Will i get audited for never filing my income from interest on savings/MMAs?? i figured it's only a couple hundred bucks from the past few years the IRSwon't hassle me over that, will they?
embarassed.gif
who did your tax's ? you should ask them, i got my bank interest info in the mail last week.

going to the hood spanish lady that does tax's again this year...
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

yo tell me why turbo tax is making me pay when i made less than 5k last year and they said it was free
indifferent.gif
  also wuts good with the 1098-t form?

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Originally Posted by s1eepyboy

Put down that you donated around $300-$400 (no more than $500) so you can get a better return. I'm doing it this year & gonna see how much I get back.
pimp.gif

nerd.gif
you tryna get that Fed time
roll.gif

Quick question:

Which website is the quickest when it comes to getting my $$?

Since we're on the topic:

[h2]http://consumerist.com/2010/02/how-the-irs-picks-its-audit-targets.html[/h2]
[h2]How The IRS Picks Its Audit Targets[/h2] By Phil Villarreal on February 2, 2010 8:30 AM

The IRS doesn't just draw potential audit victims out of a hat.There is actually a method to its cruel madness, as outlined in this 2006 IRS.gov post spotted by Jim Wang of Bargaineering.

Wang highlighted four of the chief audit-hunting processes:

* Computer Scoring- I listed this one first because it’s the most interesting of the fourreasons. Tax returns are “scored

Anybody that banks with bankofamerica is entitled to a 35% discount on their Federal filing fee via TurboTax. I ended up paying $69.95 at the end of the day, which I'm ok with.

Back
Top Bottom