The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

What do y’all think? It was an accident but girl still got hit and was shaken. Other team kinda weak for pushing that default so hard.

IMG_1822.jpeg

:lol:

Murphy's Law at its best, Kato seemed to be aiming the ball towards the ball kid so that they can collect it easier but the ball kid wasn't looking.

Their opponents pushing for the DQ was low and pretty uncalled for.

Have seen ball kids get hit harder by serves and not fold over.

Hope Tsurenko is OK.

It's nice to see some consistency at the top of the women's game. Besides one early loss in Rome, both Swiatek and Sabalenka have reached at least the QFs of every tournament since the Aussie Open.

Rybakina's been pretty unlucky having to pull out a few matches due to injury/illness, but she's been pretty solid during that time frame when she has played a full match.

Apparently, Tsurenko got the same bug as Rybakina.

Anyway, I've been trying to follow the whole Kato/Aldila saga. I think it was incredibly unlucky. Players hit the balls back to the ball kids all the time, especially after a service game when all 6 balls have to go to the other side of the court. It was clear she didn't do so in frustration or whatnot. It just so happened the ball girl didn't see it and it hit her right on the head. She was freaked out and started crying. If you want to go strictly by the book, then you can say she could have been defaulted, but it can also be argued that this has happened many times before (even by Fed) with not even a warning issued. Sensibly, the ump should have just given her a code violation warning and that would be the end of it.... which was what he initially did. Incidentally, Andreeva slapped a ball out of frustration, which went into the crowd... no warning was given.

And I don't think you can compare it to a ball hitting a ball kid when it's actually in play. Completely different circumstances.
Also saw some comments on the socials saying how the ball kid shouldn't have cried or that it didn't even hurt.
Blaming the kid ain't it. :smh:

What bothered me more were her opponents arguing with the ref (not just the chair ump) to get them tossed, when they didn't even see the actual incident itself. Their coach told them to do it. That's like footballers telling a ref to issue a red card to an opposing player... something I don't like seeing. Since then, a majority of the tennis community (pros and journos) have criticized the two for their sportsmanship. Sorribes Tormo lost her singles today and when asked about the situation in the presser, she didn't even think they did anything wrong... went on about how the ball girl was crying and that it was tough seeing all the negative comments on their socials.

Anyway... just noticed Grigor's volt Vapors.
roland-garros-day-10.webp

Geez, the match is on Tennis Channel? :smh:

Wish it's on ESPN so I can watch on my phone at work

What a bizarre turn of events. Kid was playing well... but I guess he needs to learn how to pace himself.

Thanks

Just found the game is on Peacock app

Geez Carlitos getting outworked badly
He was cramping early in the 3rd... had to basically forfeit a game to get treatment. Hasn't been moving at all since then.
It was only around 2h30m into the match, so he shouldn't have been feeling it already. Very strange.

He was cramping early in the 3rd... had to basically forfeit a game to get treatment. Hasn't been moving at all since then.
It was only around 2h30m into the match, so he shouldn't have been feeling it already. Very strange.

Aw man

That explains

Cramping in the arms is bizarre, he'll learn from it i guess dealing with playing the big matches.

Back
Top Bottom