The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

This just shows how awful the WTA is right now. Proud of Elina but the top players just aren’t what they used to be. As 703 hwy 703 hwy said, Caro might as well come back and get bags because she might get her first major with the new top players. Kerber and Halep are going to feast when they get back which is sad

To be fair, Iga has won three of the last six majors...

This was her first QF at Wimbledon. Faster surfaces like grass are where she's been the most vulnerable (especially against the power players), so it's not really a surprise to see her lose on her worst surface. There's been plenty of players on both the ATP and WTA over the past 30+ that have had successful, even Hall of Fame, careers that have struggled on a particular surface.

Yeah, the WTA hasn't been hugely consistent as a whole, but this not on Iga, who has been one of the more dominant and consistent players over the past two seasons. Today she was shockingly bad, but she's never been hugely successful at Wimbledon. If anything, this has been her best result so far.

Yeah, the WTA hasn't been hugely consistent as a whole, but this not on Iga, who has been one of the more dominant and consistent players over the past two seasons. Today she was shockingly bad, but she's never been hugely successful at Wimbledon. If anything, this has been her best result so far.

did her foot blister get retaped during the match? Surprised by the outcome.

did her foot blister get retaped during the match? Surprised by the outcome.
I only tuned in mid-match, but I don't think there were any issues. She was just missing a lot of shots... shots that she would normally make... made a ton of errors. Elina, on the flipside, was pretty solid.

I’m not even blaming Iga and agree that she has been consistent but the quality of play as a whole on the WTA is pretty bad.

Caro might as well come back and get bags because she might get her first major
Great Dane: Wozniacki wins maiden Slam | AO

She really had no business winning that year, so I don't blame you for forgetting. Was down 5-1, 40-15 in the third set of the second round. Got to face Mertens in the semis after Mertens got by a hobbled Svitolina in the quarters. Meanwhile, Simona and Angie end up spilling their guts out in their semis matchup (played with the roof open). Simona comes through that, and battles to a three set defeat in the finals and ends up in the hospital after the match due to exhaustion and dehydration.

I don't see her causing any major shakeup when she returns. She's a pusher that is 3+ years removed from the game. Good luck.

Great Dane: Wozniacki wins maiden Slam | AO

She really had no business winning that year, so I don't blame you for forgetting. Was down 5-1, 40-15 in the third set of the second round. Got to face Mertens in the semis after Mertens got by a hobbled Svitolina in the quarters. Meanwhile, Simona and Angie end up spilling their guts out in their semis matchup (played with the roof open). Simona comes through that, and battles to a three set defeat in the finals and ends up in the hospital after the match due to exhaustion and dehydration.

I don't see her causing any major shakeup when she returns. She's a pusher that is 3+ years removed from the game. Good luck.
Excellent post and thank you for reminding me

Is CoCo messing with Jimmy Butler ?
:lol: Nah, but Coco’s a big Heat fan and Jimmy’s a tennis fan. He offered her tickets to watch the Heat in the NBA Finals this year even before the play-in tournament started. :wow:

But yeah, Jimmy’s been at a bunch of tennis events over the past year. US Open, Miami Open and he was shown on ESPN yesterday at Wimbledon. He was at a smaller tourney in Argentina during the All-Star break. He and Zverev are pretty good friends, if I remember correctly.

:lol: Nah, but Coco’s a big Heat fan and Jimmy’s a tennis fan. He offered her tickets to watch the Heat in the NBA Finals this year even before the play-in tournament started. :wow:

But yeah, Jimmy’s been at a bunch of tennis events over the past year. US Open, Miami Open and he was shown on ESPN yesterday at Wimbledon. He was at a smaller tourney in Argentina during the All-Star break. He and Zverev are pretty good friends, if I remember correctly.

C U L T U R E!

I lost respect for Sabalenka after that incident. Her first round match was literally against Marta Kostyuk from the Ukraine, so it should have been obvious that Svitolina wasn't going to shake her hand either. Not only that, but Lesia Tsurenko withdrew from her match against Sabalenka in March at Indian Wells due to having a panic attack in relation to the war.

She has a really good game, but damn, her extended grunts reaaallllyyy irk me. I'm absolutely ok with grunting... I'm even ok with Masha and Vika's grunting... but Saba's extended grunts should be borderline hindrance. You can still hear her when the ball has passed the net and as her opponent is about to hit the ball. I'm surprised no one's called her out on it more.

She has a really good game, but damn, her extended grunts reaaallllyyy irk me. I'm absolutely ok with grunting... I'm even ok with Masha and Vika's grunting... but Saba's extended grunts should be borderline hindrance. You can still hear her when the ball has passed the net and as her opponent is about to hit the ball. I'm surprised no one's called her out on it more.
For the people that play tennis, do the grunts make your shots more powerful? Similar to when karate people or power rangers do kiya sounds before doing a punch or kick.

For the people that play tennis, do the grunts make your shots more powerful? Similar to when karate people or power rangers do kiya sounds before doing a punch or kick.

In my casual tennis player opinion, no.

Like in any sport, when you hit a ball, swing a bat, throw a ball, kick a ball, etc... there's always gonna be some sort of exhaling after the motion. The difference with some athletes is that they choose to vocalize it a bit. For many, I'm guessing it's just something they started doing when they were young and has now become 2nd nature to them.

I remember some matches, when it got to tense situations, you could hear them grunt audibly louder. I guess in their minds, it's a way to focus and concentrate more on the shot? Perhaps putting in more effort? I dunno... I'm just speculating here. But I've also watched matches (same tense situation) where the player would suddenly go silent, but they would still be hitting the ball just as hard. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom