The Official The-Dream "Love King" Album Discussion Thread

pimp.gif

::

#TakeCareOfMe
Dream strayed from all of his previous styles and made one of his best songs ever

#FILA
I was iffy at first listen when it leaked because it sounded like the lovechild of Rockin That and Right Side of My Brain
but once I accepted that that's what Dream does and that those are 2 of my favorite songs of his then I got over it
Now it's one of my favorites but
it needs T.I. on it... the way he spit that first verse was delivery & annunciation perfection

SMH Not again. This dude stays with the same repetitive blueprint. Sounds way too much like his other albums. Nothing fresh at all.

Could've given "Veteran" to Jamie Foxx or Trey Songz for their next album

Gonna get overlooked in an album with the attention-grabbing synths of the other songs

"Take Care Of Me" not making the album is a HUGE mistake.  There is absolutely no excuse/reason to leave this off...*shrugs*
On another note, "Florida University" has grown on me like crazy. 
smokin.gif

Word, Take Care of Me is probably my favorite track on the album, and it's on the deluxe version and not the regular version? Fail on Dream's part.

Album is
pimp.gif

The-Dream is my favorite artist and has been for several years, so it pains me to say that this album isn't that great. I will give it several more listens and I will be copping on the first day (as I've done with L/H and LvM), but as of right now and as a huge fan, I'm totally let down.

The production is great, it really is, and Dream has never been the best lyricist, but some of these lyrics make me want to skip the track. Also, a lot of the music sound like re-hashes of songs he has previously made. "Floria University" sounds like a track he couldn't sell, so he took it upon himself to use it. And "break you down"? %%# does that mean? "Yamaha" doesn't even hold a candle to "Fast Car" -- it sounds like something a failed 80's pop artist would sing ...

Originally Posted by illfrozn

The-Dream is my favorite artist and has been for several years, so it pains me to say that this album isn't that great. I will give it several more listens and I will be copping on the first day (as I've done with L/H and LvM), but as of right now and as a huge fan, I'm totally let down.

The production is great, it really is, and Dream has never been the best lyricist, but some of these lyrics make me want to skip the track. Also, a lot of the music sound like re-hashes of songs he has previously made. "Floria University" sounds like a track he couldn't sell, so he took it upon himself to use it. And "break you down"? %%# does that mean? "Yamaha" doesn't even hold a candle to "Fast Car" -- it sounds like something a failed 80's pop artist would sing ..

Dude has had some of the simplest/most shallow lyrics from jump, so I don't really know what you were expecting. 
laugh.gif

grin.gif
 The main thing with Dream's albums is NEVER the lyrics/lyricism (it's the production/melodies).  If you're looking for lyrics, you're doing it wrong (in this case) and dude usually isn't for you....

Who in the world would purchase the lyrics to "FU"...that ishh is straight Dream.  No way he was trying to sell that...
laugh.gif

smh.gif
...and if you were referring to the beat, that *!%$ knocks.

"What does 'break you down' mean?" Are you being serious? 
nerd.gif

And "Yamaha" is > "Fast Car" IMO...when I heard the instrumental intro, I knew that *!%$ was going to be a PROBLEM. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

The production is great, it really is, and Dream has never been the best lyricist, but some of these lyrics make me want to skip the track. Also, a lot of the music sound like re-hashes of songs he has previously made. "Floria University" sounds like a track he couldn't sell, so he took it upon himself to use it. And "break you down"? %%# does that mean? "Yamaha" doesn't even hold a candle to "Fast Car" -- it sounds like something a failed 80's pop artist would sing ..

Dude has had some of the simplest/most shallow lyrics from jump, so I don't really know what you were expecting. 
laugh.gif

grin.gif
 The main thing with Dream's albums is NEVER the lyrics/lyricism (it's the production/melodies).  If you're looking for lyrics, you're doing it wrong (in this case) and dude usually isn't for you....

Who in the world would purchase the lyrics to "FU"...that ishh is straight Dream.  No way he was trying to sell that...
laugh.gif

smh.gif

nerd.gif

And "Yamaha" is > "Fast Car" IMO...when I heard the instrumental intro, I knew that *!%$ was going to be a PROBLEM. 
pimp.gif

It means hes not smashing. ever.

Nah. Song is good though.

Anyone who looks for strong lyrical content with any mainstream R&B artist is just searching for disappointment almost 100% of the time. I listen to music like this for the production aspect (actually most music, for that matter). Lyrics don't do anything for me.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

laugh.gif

grin.gif

laugh.gif

smh.gif

nerd.gif

pimp.gif

indifferent.gif
"Break you down" has nothing to do with smashing.

lulz @ dudes expecting Dream to spit sing intricate Nas type lyrics.
laugh.gif

He's always been known to have the simplest/not-so-hard-to-interpret lyrics which some folks didn't mind hearing catchy tunes like "Shawty Is A 10" and all his other sing-a-longs so why even expect "growth" on his third effort if that's his niche? All those complaining that The-Dream is recycling the same sound over-and-over should have realized that from '07 to '08. That was the sound he'd probably stick with. I mean, it did after all win him a couple Grammys from Beyonce and Rihanna so why switch up the sound so soon?

"BUT HE HAS TO GROW AS A SINGER. THAT'S JUST HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK."

No he doesn't.

Terius has decided to grow as an overall hit-maker. As you can see from the credits, this mofo pretty much produced/crafted his entire album by himself. He's already talked about retiring as an artist (too soon in my opinion) but maybe now he's realizing he doesn't give a *!%! about the singing and putting out albums aspect of the game and will probably just focus on songwriting, but more so executive producing. When people try to knock The-Dream for writing corny/catchy songs, I just hit them with that one joint he wrote for J. Holiday (Suffocate). The guy is indeed capable of writing a pretty damn good R&B song if he really wanted to, but leaves the Pop/R&B simplistic stuff for himself because maybe that's just what the hell he wants to do.

/vent.

(I can't believe I'm defending this fat *!%!. Still sorta salty he knocked up Christina Milian
laugh.gif
).

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

laugh.gif

grin.gif

laugh.gif

smh.gif

nerd.gif

pimp.gif

I smashed yo mama.

laugh.gif
j/k

EnEyeKayEe:

laugh.gif
No way, I'm looking for lyrics in a Dream album, but I do expect them to at least make some sense. Why would I not?

And "FU" as a song, not just the lyrics. That song could easily be on any pop singers album, unfortunately. And like I said, the production on the album is great, so not talking about that.

Yes, I'm being serious about "break you down". As in, I'm hoping it doesn't mean exactly what I think it means.
laugh.gif

Yamaha better than Fast Car? Are you drunk? NOOOOOO WAY!!! "I needa fast car!" That's my *%##!!

But you know what's the best part of this whole album??? "6-7-20-11"

Originally Posted by ILLIONAIRE

lulz @ dudes expecting Dream to spit sing intricate Nas type lyrics.
laugh.gif

He's always been known to have the simplest/not-so-hard-to-interpret lyrics which some folks didn't mind hearing catchy tunes like "Shawty Is A 10" and all his other sing-a-longs so why even expect "growth" on his third effort if that's his niche? All those complaining that The-Dream is recycling the same sound over-and-over should have realized that from '07 to '08. That was the sound he'd probably stick with. I mean, it did after all win him a couple Grammys from Beyonce and Rihanna so why switch up the sound so soon?

"BUT HE HAS TO GROW AS A SINGER. THAT'S JUST HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK."

No he doesn't.

Terius has decided to grow as an overall hit-maker. As you can see from the credits, this mofo pretty much produced/crafted his entire album by himself. He's already talked about retiring as an artist (too soon in my opinion) but maybe now he's realizing he doesn't give a *!%! about the singing and putting out albums aspect of the game and will probably just focus on songwriting, but more so executive producing. When people try to knock The-Dream for writing corny/catchy songs, I just hit them with that one joint he wrote for J. Holiday (Suffocate). The guy is indeed capable of writing a pretty damn good R&B song if he really wanted to, but leaves the Pop/R&B simplistic stuff for himself because maybe that's just what the hell he wants to do.

/vent.

(I can't believe I'm defending this fat *!%!. Still sorta salty he knocked up Christina Milian
laugh.gif
).
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom