The Official The-Dream "Love King" Album Discussion Thread

Yamaha better than Fast Car? Are you drunk? NOOOOOO WAY!!! "I needa fast car!" That's my *%##!!

A. Yes, I'm currently heavily under the influence of alcohol.
B. I just gave "Fast Car" a listen, and...........you right. 
laugh.gif

smh.gif

Dude probably wants to stick with the producing and writing credits because not only is that where the real money is made, but you dont have to do things like appearances and touring which i can understand being annoying. plus dude aint the best singer/entertainer when it comes to a live show anyway.

aint no need to defend him though. the guy makes pop/r&b music that sounds only like Dream's music. Nothing about is generic, and nothing about it sounds like any other r&b you hear on the radio. that alone is enough for me to appreciate it.

and Yamaha don't really come close to Fast Car, and i'm really feelin Yamaha.

Originally Posted by ZSong

::

#TakeCareOfMe
Dream strayed from all of his previous styles and made one of his best songs ever

NOW i can be cool with the album being called the Love King.
This song really took all the elements of love , good, bad, hate, hurt and culminated it in to this song.

I could do with out FU.
And the first single is wack pointless radio BS.
Overall, great album!

Originally Posted by eplaya06

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

Originally Posted by illfrozn

The-Dream is my favorite artist and has been for several years, so it pains me to say that this album isn't that great. I will give it several more listens and I will be copping on the first day (as I've done with L/H and LvM), but as of right now and as a huge fan, I'm totally let down.

The production is great, it really is, and Dream has never been the best lyricist, but some of these lyrics make me want to skip the track. Also, a lot of the music sound like re-hashes of songs he has previously made. "Floria University" sounds like a track he couldn't sell, so he took it upon himself to use it. And "break you down"? %%# does that mean? "Yamaha" doesn't even hold a candle to "Fast Car" -- it sounds like something a failed 80's pop artist would sing ..

Dude has had some of the simplest/most shallow lyrics from jump, so I don't really know what you were expecting. 
laugh.gif

grin.gif
 The main thing with Dream's albums is NEVER the lyrics/lyricism (it's the production/melodies).  If you're looking for lyrics, you're doing it wrong (in this case) and dude usually isn't for you....

Who in the world would purchase the lyrics to "FU"...that ishh is straight Dream.  No way he was trying to sell that...
laugh.gif

smh.gif
...and if you were referring to the beat, that *!%$ knocks.

"What does 'break you down' mean?" Are you being serious? 
nerd.gif

And "Yamaha" is > "Fast Car" IMO...when I heard the instrumental intro, I knew that *!%$ was going to be a PROBLEM. 
pimp.gif

It means hes not smashing. ever.

Nah. Song is good though.

indifferent.gif
"Break you down" has nothing to do with smashing.
Yeah you're ******ed.

What'd you think it was about? Model cars? Math Problems?

Dumb@&$
roll.gif

I haven't seen any promotion for this album aside from angry Tweets and videos of Dream complaining,
which I haven't bothered to watch

F.I.L.A and Florida University suck %#%.sorry is EH also. everything else is good

i always bumped dream because he had good break up music and would just break down and own a female on a track
roll.gif
pimp.gif
 and he has good sex tracks.

you should already know what u will get from dream after his 1st CD. he is who he is. he doesnt have to change it up since he puts little to know money in his Album since everything is in house and making a CD is not his main souce of $$$. he does what he wants to do

if you want that grown flokes R&B go bump some Jamie Foxx or Neyo

if you want that Teennage fake love making music go bump some Trey songz or Chris brown

if you want some Cuss you and and break a %**%$ down R&B music dream is there for you.

"Take Care of Me" might really be this guy's best song ever, if not, then it's one slot below "Fancy."

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

F.I.L.A suck %#%
I dunno... I just have a hard time understanding why folks don't like this song
laugh.gif

even the big time Dream fans

I stays singing the "WHOA-OA-OA-OA" part all day

Actually each of the melody arrangements all over the verses, hook and bridge are superb:
"You da sshhh I couldn't leave you alone"
"What ever your want, I'll be dat"
"After that she said, I just wanna fall in love, can-can you make me fall in love again"

^ Word, the horns are going nuts as well..."F.I.L.A." is faaaaaaaaaar from a skip in my book. 
pimp.gif

And like I said before, I'm completely befuddled that dude left one of the best 3 songs HE'S EVER MADE off of the regular/retail album ("Take Care Of Me").  !!%@ makes absolutely no sense. 

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how hot "Sex Intelligent (Remix)" is...SHE WANT ME TO REMIIIIIIIIIIXXXXX THIS DUMBBBBB SHIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT 
smokin.gif

I've listened to it about 10 good times and I can't help but think this album was made solely to spite somebody who did him wrong.

Nikki?
nerd.gif

FILA, Sex Intelligent, Yamaha, Nikki Pt. 2, and Florida Univ. are my favs.

I still stand by what I said. It's underwhelming and could have been better.

Can't wait for "Love Affair".

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how hot "Sex Intelligent (Remix)" is...SHE WANT ME TO REMIIIIIIIIIIXXXXX THIS DUMBBBBB SHIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT 
smokin.gif
Never bumped the OG much when it leaked but now I'm all for it  "BAAAABBBYYYY GIIIIRRRRLLL" #vocoder

Dream must've been bumpin a lot of Timbo, Missy, Static, Ginuwine Aaliyah and Jodeci/Devante
when he was making S.I. OG and remix and Turnt Out

I like FILA too, but I think maybe some peeps tune it out because the beat sounds recycled. Which it basically it is.

Turnt Out is top 3 on this CD
pimp.gif

Whoever dont like this album May God take your hearing away and give it to someone more worthy

Originally Posted by eplaya06

Originally Posted by illfrozn

The-Dream is my favorite artist and has been for several years, so it pains me to say that this album isn't that great. I will give it several more listens and I will be copping on the first day (as I've done with L/H and LvM), but as of right now and as a huge fan, I'm totally let down.

The production is great, it really is, and Dream has never been the best lyricist, but some of these lyrics make me want to skip the track. Also, a lot of the music sound like re-hashes of songs he has previously made. "Floria University" sounds like a track he couldn't sell, so he took it upon himself to use it. And "break you down"? %%# does that mean? "Yamaha" doesn't even hold a candle to "Fast Car" -- it sounds like something a failed 80's pop artist would sing ..

Dude has had some of the simplest/most shallow lyrics from jump, so I don't really know what you were expecting. 
laugh.gif

grin.gif
 The main thing with Dream's albums is NEVER the lyrics/lyricism (it's the production/melodies).  If you're looking for lyrics, you're doing it wrong (in this case) and dude usually isn't for you....

Who in the world would purchase the lyrics to "FU"...that ishh is straight Dream.  No way he was trying to sell that...
laugh.gif

smh.gif
...and if you were referring to the beat, that *!%$ knocks.

"What does 'break you down' mean?" Are you being serious? 
nerd.gif

And "Yamaha" is > "Fast Car" IMO...when I heard the instrumental intro, I knew that *!%$ was going to be a PROBLEM. 
pimp.gif

It means hes not smashing. ever.

Nah. Song is good though.

indifferent.gif
"Break you down" has nothing to do with smashing.
Yeah you're ******ed.

What'd you think it was about? Model cars? Math Problems?

Dumb@&$
roll.gif
Have you actually listened to the lyrics you %**#! $%% *@%+@?? He's saying he'll break you down if you take his love for granted.  Has NOTHING to do with smashing.  Sit the %$+$ down.

I need to chill on posting about this album for a bit...
laugh.gif
, BUT:
The transition from "Yamaha" -> "Nikki Pt. 2" -> "Abyss" is DOWNRIGHT FILTHY 
sick.gif

sick.gif

sick.gif

smh.gif
...that @$#% should be illegal.  

I REALLY want him to do an ENTIRE album in this fashion where you have to constantly look at your iPod/disk changer to see if it's still the same track number, or if it has changed. 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

If I could redo this album, I'd cut out "Panties To The Side" (this track is weak to say the least) and "Florida University" (I like this track, but it just doesn't fit).

Track list would look like this:

1. Love King
2. Make Up Bag (Feat. T.I.)
3. F.I.L.A.
4. Sex Intelligent
5. Sex Intelligent (Remix)
6. Yamaha
7. Nikki Pt. 2
8. Abyss
9. Turnt Out

10. February Love
11. Priceless

12. Take Care Of Me

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. Love King (Remix) (Feat. Ludacris) (BONUS)[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]^ With the subtraction of "Panties To The Side" & "Florida University" and the additions of "Priceless", "Take Care Of Me" & "Love King (Remix)", I think you could make a serious case for this album being JUST AS GOOD as Love/Hate, if not better
pimp.gif
[/font]

Album is a 10/10. I would've given it an 11/10 if he kept T.I. on FILA. Makeup Bag transitioning into FILA w/ T.I. on both could've been a mini Best of Both Worlds!
eek.gif
pimp.gif

I need to chill on posting about this album for a bit...
laugh.gif
, BUT:
The transition from "Yamaha" -> "Nikki Pt. 2" -> "Abyss" is DOWNRIGHT FILTHY 
sick.gif

sick.gif

sick.gif

smh.gif
...that @$#% should be illegal.  

I REALLY want him to do an ENTIRE album in this fashion where you have to constantly look at your iPod/disk changer to see if it's still the same track number, or if it has changed. 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

If I could redo this album, I'd cut out "Panties To The Side" (this track is weak to say the least) and "Florida University" (I like this track, but it just doesn't fit).

Track list would look like this:

1. Love King
2. Make Up Bag (Feat. T.I.)
3. F.I.L.A.
4. Sex Intelligent
5. Sex Intelligent (Remix)
6. Yamaha
7. Nikki Pt. 2
8. Abyss
9. Turnt Out

10. February Love
11. Priceless

12. Take Care Of Me

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. Love King (Remix) (Feat. Ludacris) (BONUS)[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]^ With the subtraction of "Panties To The Side" & "Florida University" and the additions of "Priceless", "Take Care Of Me" & "Love King (Remix)", I think you could make a serious case for this album being JUST AS GOOD as Love/Hate, if not better
pimp.gif
[/font]

eek.gif
eek.gif
For real?! Though, I am heavily biased towards L/H because Falsetto is my fave Dream track he's ever made
laugh.gif

After listening to the album some more, I still feel like it's a 3/5 (or so). And I wasn't even hyped for this album like I was for LvM.
ohwell.gif
Oh well, as long as he doesn't leave the game on this note ...

^^ illfrozen, I said with those subtractions and additions, you could make a valid argument that as a WHOLE, it is just as good.  Don't make it look like I said something that I didn't. 
laugh.gif

Let's take a look:

Love/Hate:

1. Shawty Is Da $$@! (Feat. Fabolous) - Never really liked this song...
ohwell.gif

2. I Luv Your Girl - Solid. Liked this song a lot until in became a single and was overplayed like crazy. 
smokin.gif

3. Fast Car - BANGER (top 4-5 song on album). 
pimp.gif

4. Nikki - Never saw the "appeal" like other cats did (remember seeing dudes having this as their most played song in their iTunes 
laugh.gif
). Still a BANGER regardless. 
pimp.gif

5. She Needs My Love - Solid track. 
smokin.gif

6. Falsetto - Solid track (tends to be overrated though).  Like you for example, 
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

7. Playin' In Her Hair - CERTIFIED BANGER (top 2 song on album). 
pimp.gif

8. Purple Kisses - CERTIFIED BANGER (top 2 song on album). 
pimp.gif

9. Ditch That - TRASH! 
alien.gif

10. Luv Songs - STRAIGHT HEAT (top 4-5 song on album). 
pimp.gif

11. Livin A Lie (Feat. Rihanna) - Meh 
grin.gif

12. Mama - Meh 
grin.gif

13. Shawty Is Da $$@! (Remix) (Feat. R. Kelly) - Meh 
grin.gif

^ Best tracks: Fast Car, Nikki, Playin In Her Hair, Purple Kisses, Luv Songs

Love King (my version):

1. Love King - Liked it on first listen, Solid. (*  > "Shawty Is Da $$@!"). 
smokin.gif

2. Make Up Bag - Can't stand the lyrics/message, but the beat and melody is hot. Overall: Meh 
grin.gif
 (* < "I Luv Your Girl").

3. F.I.L.A. - Solid. 
smokin.gif
 Don't see how dudes can hate on this track like my dude ZSong said. 
laugh.gif

4. Sex Intelligent - Above Average.

5. Sex Intelligent (Remix) - Solid. 
smokin.gif

6. Yamaha - BANGER (not as good as Fast Car though 
wink.gif
laugh.gif
). 
pimp.gif

7. Nikki Pt. 2 - I honestly prefer this over "Nikki" (I'm probably in the minority).  Track is smooth as !%!* (the transitions entering in and then fading out add A LOT). 
smokin.gif

8. Abyss - CERTIFIED BANGER. 
pimp.gif

9. Turnt Out - BANGER (* > Falsetto). 
pimp.gif

10. February Love - CERTIFIED BANGER (2nd best Dream track ever). 
pimp.gif

11. Priceless - This song is beautiful.  Kinda caught me off guard coming from Dream.  Dudes are sleeping on this. 
smokin.gif

12. Take Care Of Me - CERTIFIED BANGER. 
pimp.gif

13. Love King (Remix) (Feat. Ludacris) - Average/Above Average (* > "Shawty Is Da $$@! (Remix)").

^ Best Tracks: Yamaha, Abyss, Turnt Out, February Love, Take Care Of Me

While L/H's top tier tracks are slightly > than LK's top tier tracks, LK's remaining tracks (my version) are > than L/H's remaining tracks IMHO. *shrugs*

Back
Top Bottom