||| - The Official Wiz Khalifa Thread [Cabin Fever Out Now] // Rolling Papers out March 29th - |||

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

Originally Posted by dtb00201

Atlantic is like the worst label you can be on if you're a rapper with no mainstream/commercial appeal.
1259767499-lupe-fiasco.jpg

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Who was the one that posted that blog entry from like March/April that said he signed with Atlantic a while ago, but they were just keepin it under wraps...
There was an article in NY Mag as well:
[h2]Hip-Hop’s New Business Model: Major-Label Rappers Stay ‘Independent’[/h2]
20100503_wizkhalifa_560x375.jpg

Wiz KhalifaPhoto: Alexis Maindrault

With his independently released mixtape So Far Gone, Drake went from digital dynamo (2,000 downloads in ten minutes) to Grammy nominee all before he signed on any dotted lines. Or maybe not: While a major-label bidding war supposedly raged, rumor had it that he was already signed to Young Money/Universal. Either way, the excitement around his quick, seemingly unassisted rise translated into true stardom. And today, a number of up-and-coming rappers, eager to re-create his magic, are at pains to represent themselves as boot-strapping independent artists — even when they’ve got freshly inked major-label deals.

This phenomenon existed before Drake. “I was over at Interscope when we signed Souljah Boy,

Atlantic is like the worst label you can be on if you're a rapper with no mainstream/commercial appeal.

True, and he is very capable of doing that. I just feel like the people at the label suck the creativity out of artists. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I always get from them. I'd rather see him be able to put an album out exactly how he wants it and not how some idiots at a label looking for the next ringtone want it to be. He doesn't even need a major label, his buzz is crazy without one.

True, and he is very capable of doing that. I just feel like the people at the label suck the creativity out of artists. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I always get from them. I'd rather see him be able to put an album out exactly how he wants it and not how some idiots at a label looking for the next ringtone want it to be. He doesn't even need a major label, his buzz is crazy without one.
This was a move for money. He said in the article I posted that is the main reason people sign with majors. There are plenty of people with buzz that are broke because they are on the indy circuit. We're definitely going to hear a new Wiz now that he's at a major label. I'm interested to see what he'll produce because he can make songs but I want to hear what he'll be putting out when the label doesn't approve certain stuff. Additionally, it was smart for him to announce that he just "signed" to Atlantic. If he did that during the Deal or No Deal tour (tour for independent album) it could have blown up in his face.

He can do Cudi #s...

at least... plus they gone love the merch. money... even if they dont buy his album his fans will def buy shirts and all types of other %%+%...

if dude was smart he'd look into makin his own joint papers...

He can do Cudi #s...

at least... plus they gone love the merch. money... even if they dont buy his album his fans will def buy shirts and all types of other %%+%...

if dude was smart he'd look into makin his own joint papers...
me and my boy were just saying that the other day...and I've seen a few dudes rockin Taylor Gang crews and all that so with a stronger push he could cake off of that

B.o.B's debut had nice numbers.. I think Wiz' Atlantic debut will do good numbers, he has a big tour coming up and he'll probably drop another mixtape before the album drops.

Album is scheduled for 2011...

And DO remember in the case of Cudi & B.O.B. they both had Billboard Top 5 records... (B.O.B. had a #1 & #2, both of which went atleast platinum)...

Wiz has a better buzz tho @ this stage then either of the 2...

But its all gonna come down to if he'll be able to make a record that can crack the Top 20, then when he does how far in between will if be for the next one...

He'll probraly debut #1 if they pick the right date...
And with Cabin Fever dropping and a tour his buzz will grow..
All he needs now is to pick the RIGHT single.

The RIGHT single shouldn't be too hard. He has a great ear for beats and knows how to create a hook.

I think he'll be solid.

Honestly, I hope he doesn't change much. A LOT of the songs he already has now could already be given that push to be on radio in the first place. Dude has been making amazing quality content from day one.

"Yeah, I'm signing to Atlantic," Khalifa said. "We've been working on it for a minute. I wanted to make sure that I had records that I was comfortable with before I went to any label or any situation. I wanted to make sure I had my direction so when I take it to them it's like, 'Let's go.' ... It's a huge honor for [Ross] to even extend a hand like that. [It's] crazy for him to even look out like that. Me and Ross is always gonna be working. He sees my vision. I think he gets what I'm trying to do. Even if it ain't no paperwork between me and Ross, it's gonna be work done between me and Ross." (MTV)

Originally Posted by gone in 60 seconds

"Yeah, I'm signing to Atlantic," Khalifa said. "We've been working on it for a minute. I wanted to make sure that I had records that I was comfortable with before I went to any label or any situation. I wanted to make sure I had my direction so when I take it to them it's like, 'Let's go.' ... It's a huge honor for [Ross] to even extend a hand like that. [It's] crazy for him to even look out like that. Me and Ross is always gonna be working. He sees my vision. I think he gets what I'm trying to do. Even if it ain't no paperwork between me and Ross, it's gonna be work done between me and Ross." (MTV)

So it's official?
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
That's a great look for Wiz. Props to the man.

Originally Posted by jupiterjaywall

He'll probraly debut #1 if they pick the right date...
And with Cabin Fever dropping and a tour his buzz will grow..
All he needs now is to pick the RIGHT single.

This.

If he drops CF towards the end or during the waken baken tour his buzz will be too crucial, push a single w/ that and the rest will fall into place.

And if he wants to go hard on buzz before the album everyone still wants to know whats good w/ that How Fly 2 project
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Dunk These

Originally Posted by JD161616

Tour dates:

Sep 16th The Trocadero Theatre  Philadelphia, PA
Sep 19th Jefferson Theater  Charlottesville, VA
Sep 21st Toad’s Place  New Haven, CT  Find Tickets
Sep 22nd Lupos Heartbreak hotel  Providence, RI
Sep 25th Stages Nightclub  Kingston, ON, CANADA
Sep 26th The Opera House  Toronto, ON, CANADA
Sep 28th Newport Music Hall  Columbus, OH
Sep 29th Metro  Chicago, IL
Sep 30th Canopy Club  Urbana, IL
Oct 1st Orpheum Theater  Madison, WI
Oct 2nd Ferri State University  Big Rapids, MI
Oct 4th The Union Bar  Iowa City, IA
Oct 5th First Avenue  Minneapolis, MN
Oct 6th Sokol Auditorium  Omaha, Nebraska
Oct 7th Ogden Theater  Denver, CO
Oct 8th Fox Theater  Boulder, Co
Oct 9th The Black Sheep  Colorado Springs, CO
Oct 10th In The Venue  Salt Lake City, UT
Oct 12th Knitting Factory  Boise, ID
Oct 14th Fortune  Vancouver, BC, CANADA
Oct 15th Showbox Sodo  Seattle, WA
Oct 16th Wow Hall  Eugene, OR
Oct 17th Humboldt State University  Arcata, California
Oct 26th Rialto Theater  Tucson, AZ
Oct 27th Venue of Scottsdale  Scottsdale, AZ
Oct 28th Sunshine Theater  Albuqerque, New Mexico
Oct 29th House Of Blue  Dallas, TX
Oct 30th Emo’s  Austin, TX
Oct 31st House of Blues  Houston, TX
Nov 2nd House of Blues  New Orleans, LA
Nov 4th Club At Firestone  Orlando, Florida
Nov 5th The Ritz  Tampa, FL
Nov 6th Masquerade  Atlanta, GA
Nov 10th The National  Richmond, VA
Nov 11th The Norva  Norfolk, VA
Nov 14th Northern Lights  Clifton Park, NY
Nov 16th Crocodile Rock Cafe  Allentown, PA

damn.. none is southern cali??!!
nerd.gif

they're being added. LA and SF can't be added until after RTB...

Originally Posted by lyrikill

Wiz & Spitta need to stay indie and keep building their brands...what they've built as a team in the last 2 years has been incredible....I couldve seen them around town anywhere in 08 now they making major moves...props

...at the end of the day they are no doubt ready to make more paper than what they've been making. I've been telling people for awhile though that they should put out something as a group because they help each other out on all levels. Only reason I check for C$Y now is cause of wiz...

Dude has a nice platform thats shaping up...

Back
Top Bottom