The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

Does Sony not realized one of the things they had over Xbox was free online gaming??
The way I read it was the online gaming would still be free.

The tiers of packages will be more of a tier'ed PlayStation Plus Platform. Allowing a certain amount of "free" online games depending on the tier you pay for monthly.

PlayStation 4 GPU – compute, queues and pipelines

A lot of rumors are flooding internet about GPU enhancements in PS4. We will try to give more info about this AMD’s custom graphic card inside PS4.

As we said Liverpool GPU is derived from R10XX family from AMD (Southern Islands). Front end blocks, back end blocks, and the basics of the shader cores remain largely unchanged. But they have added some major new additions (mostly aimed at improving the capabilities and efficiences of compute workloads).

Liverpool has multiple compute rings and pipes that provides fine control over how the system resources are divided amongst all of the application’s GPU workloads. This pipelines can perform simulteneous asynchronous compute.

This diagram exposes the queues and pipelines from PS4 GPU.

URL]

PS4 GPU has a total of 2 rings and 64 queues on 10 pipelines.

Same as R10xx
Graphics and compute
For game

- High Priority Graphics (HP3D) ring and pipeline

New for Liverpool
Same as GFX pipeline except no compute capabilities
For exclusive use by VShell

- 8 Compute-only pipelines

Each pipeline has 8 queues of a total of 64
Replaces the 2 compute-only queues and pipelines on R10XX
Can be used by both game and VShell (likely assign on a pipeline basis, 1 for VShell, and 7 for game)
Queues can be allocated by game system or by middleware type
Allows rendering and compute loads to be processed in parallel
Liverpool compute-only pipelines do not have Constant Update Engines (presented in R10XX cards)

http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-gpu-compute-queues-and-pipelines/

PS4 Dualshock motion control “possible, but in a different way than the full Move”

The DualShock 4 features a ‘light bar’ on the front and at its recent PS4 reveal there was mention of it being able to track player position. That wasn’t elaborated on further but now Denny has now confirmed the full extent of the controller’s abilities. “So its not a Move controller because the Move controller is different and will be compatible with PlayStation 4 and the new camera,” he said.

Talking about what the new pad would be able to do Denny explained: “The feature your talking about is the light bar and how that may interact with the camera. Obviously the new 3D stereo camera and HD feed [will] be a lot better with AR aspects, and it can track the light source clearly in 3D so there are going to be features possible in a motion sense there. And obviously the DualShock 4 has improved SixAxis motion sensing so motion gaming is possible with the new controller”.

But while a degree of motion gaming will be possible with the new set up it will be, “in a different way than the full Move” according to Denny. Largely because the Move controller “is more free in design to do more motion”. Because of this this the two will be kept separate with Denny concluding. “I think the way to to look at the camera use and the light bar for the DualShock 4 it is that it adds new more possibilities to the DualShock controller rather than thinking of it as a separate Move controller”.

http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...le-but-in-a-different-way-than-the-full-move/
dude basically said a whole lotta nothing

Does Sony not realized one of the things they had over Xbox was free online gaming??

Seriously if they go the pay for play method

Xbox will win as they have the better online experience

What I am assuming is that they will offer subscription models for streaming games and other content (lump in Netflix and a set amount of Gaikai game streaming for $X.XX), while allowing games purchased to be able to run online with no charge.

I think Sony knows that the online experience being free is a huge thing for them currently.

I'm pretty positive that online gaming will still be free. It's what makes Sony online services so attractive, Sony wouldn't take that away.

A lot of rumors are flooding internet about GPU enhancements in PS4. We will try to give more info about this AMD’s custom graphic card inside PS4.

As we said Liverpool GPU is derived from R10XX family from AMD (Southern Islands). Front end blocks, back end blocks, and the basics of the shader cores remain largely unchanged. But they have added some major new additions (mostly aimed at improving the capabilities and efficiences of compute workloads).

Liverpool has multiple compute rings and pipes that provides fine control over how the system resources are divided amongst all of the application’s GPU workloads. This pipelines can perform simulteneous asynchronous compute.

URL]

Same as R10xx
Graphics and compute
For game

New for Liverpool

Can be used by both game and VShell (likely assign on a pipeline basis, 1 for VShell, and 7 for game)
Liverpool compute-only pipelines do not have Constant Update Engines (presented in R10XX cards)

My computer architecture course last quarter helped me understand this :smokin

Damn, but look like they got a few cats from Sony San Monica studios and a few other cats have worked on pass CoD games.....games gonna look awesome just hope online is legit.

http://www.respawn.com/
I'm excited too but a couple things I'm worried about

-Respawn had all 4 project leads from COD come over to the company. So far, 3 of those 4 have left the company. Including the lead engineer behind the COD engine and the designer who played the biggest part in creating COD4's multiplayer

-Second their best multiplayer map designer left the company too, Alex Roycewicz. Google his name to see the amont of classic maps dude designed.

Last edited:
Damn, but look like they got a few cats from Sony San Monica studios and a few other cats have worked on pass CoD games.....games gonna look awesome just hope online is legit.

http://www.respawn.com/
I'm excited too but a couple things I'm worried about

-Respawn had all 4 project leads from COD come over to the company. So far, 3 of those 4 have left the company. Including the lead engineer behind the COD engine and the designer who played the biggest part in creating COD4's multiplayer

-Second their best multiplayer map designer left the company too, Alex Roycewicz. Google his name to see the amont of classic maps dude designed.

The God of War guys are all artist, no designers.

The only positive I can see from losing all those top guys (the 3 I mentioned) was that it seems the game was fully designed by the time dudes left for hopefully it doesn't make a major difference.

The dude Alex Roycewicz is the only person I am concerned about really. You guys should google his name, dude is a genius when it comes to designing maps.

But this team is amazing they have been responsible for 5 classic shooters. And their team is so small compared to Treyarch, Bungie, DICE, etc. Even when they were getting sued Activision said they were amazed how so few people can make such a high quality games. :lol:

Last edited:

Seriously if they go the pay for play method

Xbox will win as they have the better online experience

What I am assuming is that they will offer subscription models for streaming games and other content (lump in Netflix and a set amount of Gaikai game streaming for $X.XX), while allowing games purchased to be able to run online with no charge.

I think Sony knows that the online experience being free is a huge thing for them currently.

Word. They have to win people over before they start charging.

URL]

Same as R10xx
Graphics and compute
For game

New for Liverpool

My computer architecture course last quarter helped me understand this :smokin

Care to explain?

while were waiting on david, id just like to say that it seems to me each new generation raises in-game graphical power to that of the previous genertions FMV/CGI sequences.....

has ne1 else considered this?

I don't know if this has been posted. But a good read on why the ps4 is next gen

I don't understand it all but something about the CPU/GPU being integrated properly and cheaply. And how there are things that couldn't be done in a PC rig that Sony has accomplished. So if Sony can sell the ps4 basically for anywhere in the realm of reasonable price ie: $400-$600 then its worth it.

A lot mentioned about this GDDR5 RAM.

kinda sums it up

But when people say they can build a PC with the same specs as the PS4, I simply must disagree. You can build one with better specs, but you’ll certainly pay for it. The PS4 is not a dream machine, and we’re not going to pay dream machine prices for it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...t-console-is-truly-next-gen-and-your-pc-isnt/

Same here...and why do people need to watch me play games when I'm chilling at home? 

I'm sayin. **** is kinda creepy lol
Given the amount of "I need help on this game" info that's available on the web, It's not that creepy.

I don't think that it's creepy, especially when they said that you could let a "friend" help. That means that you could somehow restrict your feed to just buddies and not make it public.

SO LONG, USED GAMES

MAR 28, 2012 10:30 AM

Just like the next Xbox/Durango, we've heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started. UPDATE - Since some people seem to have taken this to mean the console requires an "always on" intenet connection, we've heard nothing about that. All we've heard is that you need to authenticate a new game online via the PSN.
anything you care to tell hybrid???  any changes or corrections?

Last edited:
You can still play offline but there's a sticky situation in terms of how this is going to break down with publishers. Like I said before there's the over arching console based DRM which is how the games are authenticated via the PSN. The game will have to be authenticated via the PSN when you buy it. However, publishers may put in a second layer of DRM using their for using their own online services like EA does.

How this authentication works is still up for grabs. I've heard everything from registration codes to hardcoded cryptography in the discs. It's been discussed that you could be able to "gift" games that have been bought once from 1 account to another one time only. But this would require both parties to be active PSN friends.

And I don't want to hear any BS from JetPac about how Sony is Fing people over because this is coming to Xbox as well. This pressure came from the publishers and I'm fully on board with this course of action. Big corporate resellers and screwing developers over and the consumer over. And don't tell me games cost too much money and we're being greedy. You dudes forget Genesis games were 60-70 bucks and they didn't cost nearly as much to create.

You can still play offline but there's a sticky situation in terms of how this is going to break down with publishers. Like I said before there's the over arching console based DRM which is how the games are authenticated via the PSN. The game will have to be authenticated via the PSN when you buy it. However, publishers may put in a second layer of DRM using their for using their own online services like EA does.

How this authentication works is still up for grabs. I've heard everything from registration codes to hardcoded cryptography in the discs. It's been discussed that you could be able to "gift" games that have been bought once from 1 account to another one time only. But this would require both parties to be active PSN friends.

And I don't want to hear any BS from JetPac about how Sony is Fing people over because this is coming to Xbox as well. This pressure came from the publishers and I'm fully on board with this course of action. Big corporate resellers and screwing developers over and the consumer over. And don't tell me games cost too much money and we're being greedy. You dudes forget Genesis games were 60-70 bucks and they didn't cost nearly as much to create.

I always liked the idea to "gift" games. Hopefully it gets integrated.

thanks for the info

maybe theyll have both online and offline methods for authenticating and it will be easier if your online

cant imagine offline consoles never being able to play games

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom