The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

Paterno should have been fired but he absolutely deserved the decency of being told in person. It was classless to inform him via telephone.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Ask the kids to forfeit the season? Why?

First off, the kids shouldn't have to be asked. If I'm a leader on that team I'm stepping forward with a statement saying I couldn't play on that squad for some that are allegedly involved and that I can not support a decision to play football when it only endangers people in that environment. Then I'm transferring.

yep

football just shouldn't be anyone's priority any longer at that school from the very top (school admin & officials) to the players themselves

everyone is way too busy thinking about paterno's "dignity," how this affects the players, how it affects the psu students, the future of psu financial donations, etc.

where do the kids/people who were directly affected by all this come into the picture? they got lost in the shuffle as usual and the story no longer is about them anymore

Originally Posted by af1 1982

And don't get me started on McQueary. He saw the raping. He saw that little boy look at him. He saw that look on his face, crying for help. And he turned away. Betrayed the little boy and betrayed mankind. !!@@%!! coward.

It sickens me that while he was being assaulted, the little boy got his hopes up because he saw McQueary and he saw an opportunity to be saved. And that when the coward turned around, he was sunk to an even deeper level of devastation than he was already in. !!@@%!! DISGRACE.
It is sick to think about the situation.

My thought, until I hear differently on McQuery, is that he is a coward. He may have some demons lurking in him somewhere.

Originally Posted by Jello B Afro

First off, the kids shouldn't have to be asked. If I'm a leader on that team I'm stepping forward with a statement saying I couldn't play on that squad for some that are allegedly involved and that I can not support a decision to play football when it only endangers people in that environment. Then I'm transferring.

yep

football just shouldn't be anyone's priority any longer at that school from the very top (school admin & officials) to the players themselves

everyone is way too busy thinking about paterno's "dignity," how this affects the players, how it affects the psu students, the future of psu financial donations, etc.

where do the kids/people who were directly affected by all this come into the picture? they got lost in the shuffle as usual and the story no longer is about them anymore

sick.gif
The nerve of this guy to say he "bear hugged him"while being naked.

where do the kids/people who were directly affected by all this come into the picture? they got lost in the shuffle as usual and the story no longer is about them anymore.

At this point I'm reluctant to be optimistic, but you'd hope that the sensitivity of this issue keeps the victims hush hush and that it will be taken care of in a private matter. The possibly hundreds of victims are almost certainly scared to come forth and rightfully so. I just think the victimes will try to remain under wraps for as long as possible.

Originally Posted by Jello B Afro

yep

THIS
Football is just football, it doesn't make it any different if you are in State College, Eugene, Austin or anywhere in America. There always will be next season and there will be an opportunities to build these 'legacies' that some of those idiots were talking about last night. I understand people get passionate about their sports and I do too but this whole scandal is more than football. We are talking about vulnerable members of our society getting exploited and abused in every menacing way possible by these men in power who's busy fulfilling his desires (Sandusky) and the rest of those who look the other way to cover their own butts. I'm sorry but I can't feel any sympathy for anyone who's involve in this. It's just not right. 

And all of that riot just put our attention even further away from those victims, it's such a shame that some people cannot distinguish what's more important in life. Next spring the season will start at 0-0 but these kids and families who's going through this trauma do not get a second season nor do they get the reset button to do it all over. It's really sad to watch all of this unfolding way it did last night. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

So this is how they fired Paterno:
-They got a courier to deliver a letter to his house
-The letter had a number to call
-He called and was told he was relieved of his duties

The University keeps making themselves look stupid. There would be no Penn State administration without him. They wouldn't have that job without him. And you fire him over the phone? I'm sorry but if you're going to fire him, you tell him to his face. You look him in his eye and you tell him why he's done. He's earned that right. Disgrace.
IMO, no he hasn't.  

I've respected and still continue to respect your opinions in this thread DoubleJs
But I'm sorry I am going to have to disagree with you. Agree to disagree. 

Nah, I gotcha....Obviously, I don't have any ties to the school aside from what I've been reading and seeing over the past couple of days.  But in all the information I've gathered, I've lost every last bit of respect I've had for Joe Paterno.  I don't think he deserves any sort of dignified way of being told he's fired.  If it came by phone, US Postal Service, etc...so be it.  He didn't look out for the well-being of many children who became prey to Sandusky.  He could have EASILY stopped this before it snowballed.  Also, in listening to his comments...he DARED the BOT to fire him.  In addition, his statement outside of his home really seemed to marginalize the magnitude of the hurt these kids (who are now adults) are suffering.  It's beating a dead horse, but I don't see how he could have continued to let Sandusky around campus.  I HONESTLY believe that once these guys start singing to the feds, we'll find out Joe Paterno was tied into this scandal worse than what we already know. 

Originally Posted by TraPpStar

Paterno should have been fired but he absolutely deserved the decency of being told in person. It was classless to inform him via telephone.
decency...you mean like telling the RIGHT people about little kids being molested? that would have earned him some decency in return...

where do the kids/people who were directly affected by all this come into the picture? they got lost in the shuffle as usual and the story no longer is about them anymore.

At this point I'm reluctant to be optimistic, but you'd hope that the sensitivity of this issue keeps the victims hush hush and that it will be taken care of in a private matter. The possibly hundreds of victims are almost certainly scared to come forth and rightfully so. I just think the victimes will try to remain under wraps for as long as possible.
well i definitely agree that their privacy should remain protected. just meant that the issue surrounding this is no longer about the child molestation, but rather how it affects everyone, except for the people who were actually molested

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

decency...you mean like telling the RIGHT people about little kids being molested? that would have earned him some decency in return...
Yeah, the ignorance in that comment was easy to spot.

decency...you mean like telling the RIGHT people about little kids being molested? that would earn him some decency in return...
Doesn't matter. I've been a proponent of Paterno's dismissal the moment this story released. His actions were despicable, reprehensible, and deserve to supersede and tarnish his legacy. Notwithstanding all the good that Paterno did for that university, you have a duty to look a man, any man, regardless of his accomplishments or past achievements, in his eyes whenever you are relieving him of his job and terminating his family's income stream. Respect is a code that one lives by and cannot be turned off or on just because you feel the actions of someone do not warrant decency. You are free to have an opinion of someone, but if you enable their character to impact your character then you are enabling them to define the morale of the situation, and thus stooping down to their level to which you so adamantly find reprehensible.

Paterno lost the right for a "respectable" firing following his failure to properly act and his later comments.

Paterno hasn't earned anything... that's part of the problem with everything's that happened. He's a coach, an employee, and due to his involvement and lack of action in an awful event and scandal, he needed to be fired. Not to mention his statements during this ordeal have shown he simply doesn't get it... it isn't about him, it's about the kids and the horrific actions that he didn't do enough to stop. That's the problem with Penn State, you cannot elevate a man to this level and associate yourself as much as Penn State has without suffering potential repercussions if/when he messes up. I understand as much as I can without being a student and/or alumni how important Paterno was to that school, but you also have to be objective in this scenario, it's bigger than an old man's legacy.

IMO, no he hasn't.  

I've respected and still continue to respect your opinions in this thread DoubleJs

Nah, I gotcha....Obviously, I don't have any ties to the school aside from what I've been reading and seeing over the past couple of days.  But in all the information I've gathered, I've lost every last bit of respect I've had for Joe Paterno.  I don't think he deserves any sort of dignified way of being told he's fired.  If it came by phone, US Postal Service, etc...so be it.  He didn't look out for the well-being of many children who became prey to Sandusky.  He could have EASILY stopped this before it snowballed.  Also, in listening to his comments...he DARED the BOT to fire him.  In addition, his statement outside of his home really seemed to marginalize the magnitude of the hurt these kids (who are now adults) are suffering.  It's beating a dead horse, but I don't see how he could have continued to let Sandusky around campus.  I HONESTLY believe that once these guys start singing to the feds, we'll find out Joe Paterno was tied into this scandal worse than what we already know. 
PLUS.. (Just heard on the news in regards to the phonecall firing) ..the last time they tried to fire him he threw them out of his house. This dude had absolutely no respect for any proposed authority and over this past week it's showed from his actions to his comments.
30t6p3b.gif

I find it amusing that in a world that has become ever increasingly detached with regards to communication, (i.e. the proliferation of social media sites like FB, twitter, message boards, e-mail, texting, etc), it can be somehow deemed "classless" to communicate Paterno's firing over telephone as if he deserved any better. No one that had knowledge of this over the course of the last decade or so doesnt deserve to be even looked in the eye.
I can't make sense of any of this....I can't comprehend how grown adults let this slide and did not raise living hell to the press and authorities when they caught wind of this. I raised all hell at my previous organization when the safety of the kids I worked with was being compromised and neglected (which resulted in me being suspended, demoted, and eventually led me to find a new job), and at no point did it ever cross my mind to do anything else but cause a +*!+ storm because that's what families deserve when they entrust the safety of their children with adults. 

This is just disgusting. I want to give a shout out to that one kid that got interviewed at that rally last nite onESPN and went against the grain by saying how disgusted he was with everything surroudning the event, including the rally.

The whole process of dismissal discussion is stupid because it's more trivial *!%%$+*+ about pride and machismo, which are the foundations that allowed for a lot of the +%%+ that lead to the downfall of Paterno.

decency...you mean like telling the RIGHT people about little kids being molested? that would earn him some decency in return...
Notwithstanding all the good that Paterno did for that university, you have a duty to look a man, any man, regardless of his accomplishments or past achievements, in his eyes whenever you are relieving him of his job and terminating his family's income stream. Respect is a code that one lives by and cannot be turned off or on just because you feel the actions of someone do not warrant decency. You are free to have an opinion of someone, but if you enable their character to impact your character then you are enabling them to define the morale of the situation, and thus stooping down to their level to which you so adamantly find reprehensible.
no

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

PLUS.. (Just heard on the news in regards to the phonecall firing) ..the last time they tried to fire him he threw them out of his house. This dude had absolutely no respect for any proposed authority and over this past week it's showed from his actions to his comments.
30t6p3b.gif

Because he viewed himself AS the authority...
30t6p3b.gif
  I mean, the NERVE of him to sit there and dare the BOT to fire him shows the type of man he is....unreal.   

30t6p3b.gif

Not surprising. Old man has no sense.

30t6p3b.gif

Because he viewed himself AS the authority...
30t6p3b.gif
  I mean, the NERVE of him to sit there and dare the BOT to fire him shows the type of man he is....unreal.   

But then when it comes to reporting the crime, he stops being the "buck stops here" authority figure he is and turned into just another coach who reported it to the right people.  *%%@*$# FRAUD.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Report: Jerry Sandusky Investigated For Allegedly Pimping Boys To Rich Donors[/h1]
audio

by Jon Bershad | 10:11 am, November 10th, 2011
http:///www.mediaite.com/?p=371969">http://www.mediaite.com/?p=371969" href="http://www.mediaite.com/online/loca...pimped-boys-out-to-rich-donors/#disqus_thread">/www.mediaite.com/?p=371969">http://www.mediaite.com/?p=371969">» 41 comments
The horrible Penn State child rape scandal is one of the worst stories the sports world has ever seen, one that involves some of the most heinous crimes imaginable as well a disturbing desire to brush them under the rug. However, a rumor is now surfacing that could make things even worse. Mark Madden, a local sports writer for the Beaver County Times, said on a radio show this morning that he had heard that a new development was going to break and that it involved the man at the center of the scandal, Jerry Sandusky, “pimping out

Originally Posted by Nako XL

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Report: Jerry Sandusky Investigated For Allegedly Pimping Boys To Rich Donors[/h1]
audio

by Jon Bershad | 10:11 am, November 10th, 2011
http:///www.mediaite.com/?p=371969">http://www.mediaite.com/?p=371969" href="http://www.mediaite.com/online/loca...pimped-boys-out-to-rich-donors/#disqus_thread">http://www.mediaite.com/?p=371969">» 41 comments
The horrible Penn State child rape scandal is one of the worst stories the sports world has ever seen, one that involves some of the most heinous crimes imaginable as well a disturbing desire to brush them under the rug. However, a rumor is now surfacing that could make things even worse. Mark Madden, a local sports writer for the Beaver County Times, said on a radio show this morning that he had heard that a new development was going to break and that it involved the man at the center of the scandal, Jerry Sandusky, “pimping out

Originally Posted by hugebird

The whole process of dismissal discussion is stupid because it's more trivial *!%%$+*+ about pride and machismo, which are the foundations that allowed for a lot of the +%%+ that lead to the downfall of Paterno.

This.  Who cares about Paterno? These $@!++@+ kids are out rioting about an 84 year old coach who was about as much of a figurehead as the Queen of England anyways rather than worrying about what was being covered up and about the children who were victimized more viciously than 99.99% of them will ever imagine.

Back
Top Bottom