The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by af1 1982

You're looking into too much and putting words in his mouth.
That was absolutely NOT my intention.  I was merely seeking clarification.

And what do you mean that I looking too much into it?  I heard McQuery was not going to be coaching this weekend.  Dude replied that he wasnt being fired, but that it would be "too dangerous for him to show up there."  And I asked if he meant that it was more to do with his safety than his actions.

Dont know where I was putting words in his mouth or looking too far into it, or where you come off with your condescending post. 

laugh.gif
 Okay dude. 

You serious right now?  How on earth could you have reacted the way you did about my initial post?  Whatever.  Done.

So basically you are saying that its more to do with his safety rather than his actions (or lack there of) ?

I'm simply repeating what they said on ESPN. What I meant in that he shouldn't be allowed period, is that this shouldn't be an issue to begin with because red head should not be allowed to coach...Should've been fired.

But yes. ESPN made it appear as if it was for red heads safety and the safety of that environment more than it was of any wrongdoing on red heads part.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

So basically you are saying that its more to do with his safety rather than his actions (or lack there of) ?

I'm simply repeating what they said on ESPN. What I meant in that he shouldn't be allowed period, is that this shouldn't be an issue to begin with because red head should not be allowed to coach...Should've been fired.

But yes. ESPN made it appear as if it was for red heads safety and the safety of that environment more than it was of any wrongdoing on red heads part.

Thank you for your rational response. 

Whitlock saying that the fact Penn St keeps Mcquery on the payroll is to control what he says to the media. 

They fire him, Mcquery can speak freely as he wants.  Penn St may not want that.

Take that as you wish.  I know Whitlock isn't the most credible dude, but that isn't all that far fetched given the circumstances. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Whitlock saying that the fact Penn St keeps Mcquery on the payroll is to control what he says to the media. 

They fire him, Mcquery can speak freely as he wants.  Penn St may not want that.

Take that as you wish.  I know Whitlock isn't the most credible dude, but that isn't all that far fetched given the circumstances. 
well if thats true penn states still saving face rather than doing the right thing.  i see they've learned alot so far.

CNN.com story here.

(CNN) – Both are managed by male dominated-hierarchies. Both are revered by millions of people. And both allegedly dealt with accusations of sexual abuse of children internally, without going to law enforcement authorities.

To many victims’ advocates, commentators and others, the parallels between this week’s allegations about how Penn State dealt with reports of sex abuse and decade-old revelations about sex abuse in the Roman Catholic Church are uncanny.

“It is really a striking and almost identical factual pattern that has emerged in the Catholic Church cases and at Penn State,

OMG....(I know, why am I posting in this thread then?) BUT...
Anyone else just tired of hearing about this every 5 seconds on ESPN? It's ridiculous. Leave it to ESPN to sensationalize a story and milk the hell out of it. We get it, lots of Penn State higher ups knew what was going on, people are upset that Joe Paterno is being scapegoated. He's old, he's Penn state "football" (whatever that means, last national championship? 86). 

I want my ESPN back, not this Paternothon. Give it a rest already.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Anyone else just tired of hearing about this every 5 seconds on ESPN? It's ridiculous. Leave it to ESPN to sensationalize a story and milk the hell out of it. We get it, lots of Penn State higher ups knew what was going on, people are upset that Joe Paterno is being scapegoated. He's old, he's Penn state "football" (whatever that means, last national championship? 86). 

I know this is America where people have attention spans of 15 seconds, until the next "big" story comes out...but this story might be the greatest scandal/cover-up in sports history. And to top it off, we still haven't heard the full extent of details. If there's any truth to these rumors floating around right now, then all hell is about to break loose. I hate to break it to you, but this will be in the news for awhile longer.

has this been posted?

In April, Pittsburgh radio host Mark Madden wrote a story revealing Penn State for much of the cover-up of Jerry Sandusky's alleged child rape that has been exposed in the past week. While it didn't raise many eyebrows back then, six months later it looks to be incredibly accurate.
On Thursday morning, just hours after legendary head coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were fired by the school's board of trustees, Madden was asked on WEEI's The Dennis and Callahan Show what he believes the next piece of news will be.

What he said was twice as shocking as anything that's been released thus far.

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

After the news spread, Madden later explained via Twitter why he went public with the rumors.

"I normally abhor giving RUMORS credence," Madden wrote. "But whole Sandusky scandal started out as a RUMOR. It gets deeper and more disgusting all the time. One of state's top columnists investigating. That adds credence. I am NOT rumor's original source. [Why does] Sandusky deserve benefit of doubt?"

Madden also spoke more definitively on Dennis and Callahan to the cover-up efforts at the school and beyond that he expects will be made public soon.

"The other thing I think that may eventually become uncovered, and I talked about this in my original article back in April, is that I think they'll find out that Jerry Sandusky was told that he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up," Madden said. "If you look at the timeline, that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

"My opinion is when Sandusky quit, everybody knew -- not just at Penn State," Madden added. "I think it was a very poorly kept secret about college football in general, and that is why he never coached in college football again and retired at the relatively young age of 55. [That's] young for a coach, certainly."
http://www.nesn.com/2011/...rs-says-mark-madden.html

I decided not to go this weekend between my family concerns over safety and own struggles to be in Happy Valley right now, I'm just disgusted by all of this from leaders I once trusted and had much confidence in.

Originally Posted by AG 47

I know this is America where people have attention spans of 15 seconds, until the next "big" story comes out...but this story might be the greatest scandal/cover-up in sports history. And to top it off, we still haven't heard the full extent of details. If there's any truth to these rumors floating around right now, then all hell is about to break loose. I hate to break it to you, but this will be in the news for awhile longer.

SURE, if you've been watching sports for all of five minutes. Just off the top of my dome here were "the biggest scandal in sports history of all time"
1. Dude that got murked by his own teammate at Baylor. The coach had something to do with a coverup regarding the murderer, can't remember the details exactly but it was a big deal a few years ago.

2. Pete Rose gambling scandal (There's no doubt the violation of these kids is a bigger deal, but from a history point of view his scandal has been one of the most polarizing issues in sporting history).

3. Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan

4. All those doping scandals. McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, Canseco etc. 

5. Duke Lacrosse scandal.

6.Tiger Woods ya'll.

Point i'm trying to make is that ESPN is sensationalizing the topic. It's boring and really repetitive. Attention span? Yeah because one obviously has no attention span if they get tired of hearing about the same details over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

I fail to see how Tiger woods having consensual sex with a bunch of women, Pete Rose GAMBLING, baseball players taking supplements that were legal at the time, and a single false rape accusation against a lacrosse team (a sport very few care about) are more of a scandal than the winningest and longest tenured coach in the sport's history having his career end because of his inaction, which resulted in dozens of children being raped/molested and emotionally scarred. You're talking about kid's lives being ruined vs. people simply breaking the rules or cheating on their wives. How do any of the things you mentioned besides Baylor even come close to approaching the gravity of this case?

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

I fail to see how Tiger woods having consensual sex with a bunch of women, Pete Rose GAMBLING, baseball players taking supplements that were legal at the time, and a single false rape accusation against a lacrosse team (a sport very few care about) are more of a scandal than the winningest and longest tenured coach in the sport's history having his career end because of his inaction, which resulted in dozens of children being raped/molested and emotionally scarred. You're talking about kid's lives being ruined vs. people simply breaking the rules or cheating on their wives. How do any of the things you mentioned besides Baylor even come close to approaching the gravity of this case?

Did you read my post? I said they were considered to be the biggest, I never once said that they outweighed this scandal in terms of severity. Looking back they all got just as much press and they were all mind numbingly boring and repetitive to read/watch/hear about.
I do care about the kids but realize that all this reporting has been centered around Paterno's firing, Penn state rioting and very little about Sandusky himself, all those also implicated, the pimping allegations and the kids themselves (which should be protected but still, we should be hearing about details surrounding the crime itself instead of this sensationalist bullcrap).

SURE, if you've been watching sports for all of five minutes. Just off the top of my dome here were "the biggest scandal in sports history of all time"
1. Dude that got murked by his own teammate at Baylor. The coach had something to do with a coverup regarding the murderer, can't remember the details exactly but it was a big deal a few years ago.

2. Pete Rose gambling scandal (There's no doubt the violation of these kids is a bigger deal, but from a history point of view his scandal has been one of the most polarizing issues in sporting history).

6.Tiger Woods ya'll.

Point i'm trying to make is that ESPN is sensationalizing the topic. It's boring and really repetitive. Attention span? Yeah because one obviously has no attention span if they get tired of hearing about the same details over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
I get the point about recent events being bigger, but none of the examples your posted even come close in terms of the overall seriousness of the crime AND the institution and personalities involved. This is one of the biggest sports programs in America, one of the most famous coaches in America, and it involves child molestation over the course of decades. You're comparing that to feuding figure skaters, steroid use, a guy cheating on his wife, an alleged rape that proved to have never happened, and a manager betting on his own team? The only one that is even in the same ballpark is the Baylor one, and while it was a deadly serious crime, the consequences and magnitude were not nearly as large as this one. It was an isolated crime handled with negligence. This is a pattern of conduct over 20 years or more that was ignored by one of the most famous coaches in the world. 
So yes, this may indeed be the biggest scandal in sports history. The Black Sox scandal is the one that really should be compared, but even that pales in comparison when you consider it was about betting on sports rather than a heinous crime of this nature. 

The fact that ESPN is covering it so exhaustively doesn't make it any less of a big deal. Nothing like this has ever happened before, and ESPN is giving viewers what they want to see. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

6.Tiger Woods ya'll.

I get the point about recent events being bigger, but none of the examples your posted even come close in terms of the overall seriousness of the crime AND the institution and personalities involved. This is one of the biggest sports programs in America, one of the most famous coaches in America, and it involves child molestation over the course of decades. You're comparing that to feuding figure skaters, steroid use, a guy cheating on his wife, an alleged rape that proved to have never happened, and a manager betting on his own team? The only one that is even in the same ballpark is the Baylor one, and while it was a deadly serious crime, the consequences and magnitude were not nearly as large as this one. It was an isolated crime handled with negligence. This is a pattern of conduct over 20 years or more that was ignored by one of the most famous coaches in the world. 
So yes, this may indeed be the biggest scandal in sports history. The Black Sox scandal is the one that really should be compared, but even that pales in comparison when you consider it was about betting on sports rather than a heinous crime of this nature. 

The fact that ESPN is covering it so exhaustively doesn't make it any less of a big deal. Nothing like this has ever happened before, and ESPN is giving viewers what they want to see. 
Again, I never compared the severity of the situations to one another just the media reaction and the sensationalism. It's all very repetitive information.

6.Tiger Woods ya'll.

Bro...this trumps EVERYTHING you posted....and it's not even close. 

Anyways, I just saw on Audibles, that Cars.com has pulled their sponsorship on ESPN for the next two PSU games...

Barry Switzer:

“Having been in this profession a long time and knowing how close coaching staffs are, I knew that this was a secret that was kept secret,

Originally Posted by Zach13g

posted?

292r1pz.jpg
A PSU poster on Rivals said that one of the boys in the video was one of the victims from the Grand Jury investigation. 
Take it FWIW

This is so cray. I swear I'd dip out of this school if I was attending, especially if I was paying out of pocket. I would never wanna associate myself with some %%!% like this. Disgusting.

Like, what kind of footballer players are gonna wanna play here? PSU is done.

I'm sorry but this is biggest scandal in sports of my lifetime and it isn't close.

I'm sick of hearing about it too but if this was a movie and not real life it would be unbelievable.

For those of you questioning why McQueary hasn't been fired yet...here are two possible reasons as to why he's still employed:

There are a few possible explanations for why McQueary remains employed. As the Penn State football employee who was the most forthcoming to the grand jury, he could present a different kind of PR nightmare for the university if fired. If McQueary got canned and decided to spill his guts to the media, who knows what revelations might pour forth? An already nasty situation could get even nastier.

The other possibility is that McQueary's job is protected by Pennsylvania's Whistleblower Law, which prohibits public employees from having their jobs threatened following a "good-faith report" of wrongdoing. McQueary did go to his supervisor, after all. Asked if the Whistleblower Law was the reason for McQueary's continued employment, Penn State spokesman Jeff Nelson said "I honestly can't answer that question."

Meanwhile, Curley's continued employment can only be explained by a fear of a lawsuit from a man who might say he was fired for being accused of a crime. It was Curley who told the grand jury McQueary told him that he saw Sandusky "horsing around" with the boy. According to the presentment, McQueary told the grand jury that he told Curley he had seen what he believed to be anal sex. The grand jury believed McQueary.

Link

@SPORTSbyBROOKS
SPORTSbyBROOKS
I can confirm there will soon be new, major allegation involving child sex abuse in Sandusky case. Told tonite it could come before Saturday
Nov 10 via TweetDeckFavoriteRetweetReply

30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom