The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

Dickie V and Coach K, Both **** heads for trying to stick up for a Chronie.

Coach K had a recent interview on Piers Morgan where he said to the effect of Paterno was fired too abruptly

what a Bunch of D-Bags

Yup and the link to that interview is in the last tweet of DJ's quote.

I can't say anything but wow, this @%!% stuns me to hear.

The way these guys stick up for one another is %**!+%* awful.
30t6p3b.gif

16 Jun SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS

Every day that passes shows us again and again how twitter has become the school playground for the juveniles.

I like SBB but if you have such an issue with Vitale go call him up, we dont need to really see thirty-three tweets in a row towards the old bag
grin.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Every day that passes shows us again and again how twitter has become the school playground for the juveniles.

I like SBB but if you have such an issue with Vitale go call him up, we dont need to really see thirty-three tweets in a row towards the old bag
grin.gif

Maybe...but I think that the back and forth between SbB & Vitale captures the mindset of MANY out there.  They'll defend Paterno as if he didn't have anything to do with the situation at hand.  All goes back to how much Paterno was revered in State College and his God-like standing amongst the people there AND in various coaching circles around the country.  Instead of giving a PC "no comment" or something along those lines, they'd rather talk about the unfairness in which people treated Paterno in the wake of the scandal breaking.  Like he was a victim. 
30t6p3b.gif

Oh no doubt, the twitter part is just a different beast that I have many issues with almost daily 
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Today's updates:

[h1]Defense begins in Sandusky trial with colleagues' testimony[/h1]
BELLEFONTE, Pa.–The defense of Jerry Sandusky opened Monday with two former Penn State assistant football coaches telling jurors that it was not uncommon for coaches to shower with young children following workouts and other physical activities.

One of them, Richard Anderson, a long-time friend of Sandusky, said he recalled seeing the coach in the university shower room with a young boy but that nothing "inappropriate" took place.

Anderson said that young boys often accompanied Sandusky to football games along with Sandusky's family. He said Sandusky spent a lot of time with children related to Sandusky's charity, The Second Mile. But he also said that college football coaching responsibilites were so extensive that it left little time for family or outside activities.

Anderson said Penn State coaches generally worked up to 17 hours a day, at least four days a week, and frequently traveled outside of the area on recruiting trips in the off-season.

"Jerry had a great reputation," he said. He was "well thought of in every regard."

Anderson said that it was "part of my life" to be in locker rooms showering with either fellow coaches or young people.

Many of the 51 criminal counts against Sandusky allege that the former coach abused young people in university shower rooms.

Booker Brooks, another former Sandusky colleague, testified that showering with children following physical activities was a "very common thing."

"Were you naked?" defense lawyer Joe Amendola asked.

"I never shower with my clothes on," Brooks said drawing laughter from the courtroom gallery.

Prosecutors dropped one of the 52 counts against Sandusky on Monday because the statute he was charged under did not apply at the time of the alleged illegal contact.

And lastly this dropped on Deadspin:
[h1]Jerry Sandusky Still Has A Legal Advantage Over His Accusers Because Pennsylvania Law Is Still Stupid[/h1]
Prosecutors have identified all but two of the 10 men Jerry Sandusky is accused of sexually assaulting as children. All eight of those known victims finished testifying Thursday, so those of us following the trial are hereby spared from any more nauseating details of the former Penn State defensive coordinator's alleged abuse.

Yet as credible as those victims were, and as overwhelming as their testimony was, there is still room for Sandusky's defense team to maneuver legally, and that's because Pennsylvania's criminal statutes are still uniquely, stupidly stuck in the past.

We told you about this in December, thanks to some terrific reporting by Philadelphia Weekly's Tara Murtha, who at the time pointed out two ways in which accused sex offenders like Sandusky can benefit from Pennsylvania law at trial:
1. Trial judges are required to instruct jurors to factor in how long it took for victims to report their allegations of sex abuse to authorities, even though that time difference is known to have no relevance to the truth of their claims.

2. Expert testimony in sex assault cases is not permitted.

As Murtha has written, federal courts allow experts to testify about the behaviors of both victims and assailants in sexual assault cases. So does the military. So does D.C. And so does every other state in the country. Just not the one in which Jerry Sandusky is accused of committing his alleged crimes. So why is this now worth repeating? Because in April, Murtha wrote another story highlighting the fact that the state Senate failed to take action to close those legal loopholes—even though a bill that would allow for expert testimony in sex-abuse cases had already passed the state House last year by a 197-0 margin.

You'd think, after all the publicity the Sandusky case garnered last fall, that Pennsylvania lawmakers would have been moved to act swiftly to bring these statutes into the 21st century. But you'd be wrong.

Here's Murtha:
As it sat gathering dust, state Sen. Stewart Greenleaf, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, offered various tone-deaf reasons for the stall.

In December, to the surprise of both of the bill's sponsors, Greenleaf told PW he needed to "fine-tune" the legislation. In February, Patriot-News reporter Sara Ganim, who broke the Sandusky story, wrote that the reason for the delay was that "Greenleaf wants to make sure any bill allows for the defense to bring an expert into court, too."

After more pressure from groups like Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape, HB1264 finally passed out of committee on March 27—but it still isn't law and, with a 60-day effective date along with the news today that the trial will not be delayed again, it will not be in effect during the Sandusky trial.

Likewise, neither chamber of the legislature made any effort to do anything about the backward-@#* language that's been codified into the state's jury instructions, which read as follows:
"Failure to Make Prompt Complaint in Certain Sexual Offenses: ‘The evidence of [name of victim]'s [failure to complain] [delay in making a complaint] does not necessarily make [his] [her] testimony unreliable, but may remove from it the assurance of reliability accompanying the prompt complaint or outcry that the victim of a crime such as this would ordinarily be expected to make.'"

Sandusky's attorney, Lawyerin' Joe Amendola, has made it clear he intends to pound away at the victims' credibility. And because of the legislature's inaction, he's got the law on his side.

Remember, only one of Sandusky's victims came forward just after the alleged abuse took place. Some continued to associate with him for years after the alleged assaults stopped, with at least one acknowledging he had lunched with Sandusky as recently as summer. Sandusky's defense claims he has something called "histrionic personality disorder," and on Friday Judge John Cleland issued an order allowing an expert to testify to that effect. As for the psychology of Sandusky's victims, Murtha wrote:
"In sexual-assault trials, psychology experts could advise jurors, for example, that it is common for child-sex-abuse victims to maintain relationships with the authority figures who attacked them and that it's also common for a victim to not reveal the abuse for years."

But in Pennsylvania, and in the case of Jerry Sandusky's victims specifically, none of that is in play.

[h1]Prosecutors may present unaired portions of NBC News' Sandusky interview[/h1]
Former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky's lawyers plan to argue that he suffers from histrionic personality disorder, a rare psychiatric illness that results in inappropriate behavior. NBC's Michael Isikoff reports and TODAY's Savannah Guthrie discusses how the new defense plan may affect Sandusky's sex abuse trial.

By Michael Isikoff, NBC News

Pennsylvania prosecutors may seek to use unaired portions of an NBC News interview with Jerry Sandusky in November in which the former Penn State defensive coach said, "I didn't go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I've helped."

The unaired portions of the "Rock Center with Brian Williams" interview-- conducted by NBC Sports host Bob Costas -- could become an issue this week as Sandusky's lawyers start presenting their defense to charges that he repeatedly abused 10 young boys over a 15 year period.

On Friday, a prosecutor from the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office contacted an NBC News lawyer asking the network to re-authenticate a full unedited transcript of the Costas interview. Because the network had already released the transcript, and it had been published on a Pennsylvania news website, the network agreed.
The unaired portions of the Costas interview include an exchange about Sandusky's work with young people. Sandusky founded a charity for troubled kids, called The Second Mile, and, according to prosecutors, he met every one of his alleged victims through the charity.
"I'm a very passionate person in terms of trying to make a difference in the lives of some young people," Sandusky said in the interview. "I worked very hard to try to connect with them. To make them feel good about themselves. To be something significant in their lives. Maybe this gets misinterpreted, has gotten depending on. … I know a lot of young people where it hasn't. I have worked with many, many young people where there has been no misinterpretation of my actions and I have made a very significant difference in their lives.

Former Penn State University assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky speaks to NBC's Bob Costas in a Rock Center exclusive interview.  Sandusky was charged earlier this month with 40 criminal counts accusing him of sexual abuse of minors.

Costas then challenged Sandusky.

"But isn't what you're just describing the classic MO of many pedophiles?" he asked. "And that is that they gain the trust of young people, they don't necessarily abuse every young person. There were hundreds, if not thousands of young boys you came into contact with, but there are allegations that at least eight of them were victimized. Many people believe there are more to come. So it's entirely possible that you could've helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D and E. Isn't that possible?

Does it matter if Sandusky has a personality disorder?

Analysis: Prosecution presented strong case against Jerry Sandusky

Sandusky replied: "Well -- you might think that. I don't know. In terms of -- my relationship with so many, many young people. I would -- I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward. Many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and -- and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life. And I didn't go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I've helped. There are many that I didn't have -- I hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways."

NBC News legal analyst Wes Oliver said that Sandusky's reply to Costas complicates his defense. It also could provide fodder for prosecutors if Sandusky decides to take the witness stand this week and testify in his defense.

"A reasonable interpretation of that statement is that he did in fact have sexual contact with these young men he supposedly helped," Oliver said.

More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Oh no doubt, the twitter part is just a different beast that I have many issues with almost daily 
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Today's updates:

[h1]Defense begins in Sandusky trial with colleagues' testimony[/h1]
BELLEFONTE, Pa.–The defense of Jerry Sandusky opened Monday with two former Penn State assistant football coaches telling jurors that it was not uncommon for coaches to shower with young children following workouts and other physical activities.

One of them, Richard Anderson, a long-time friend of Sandusky, said he recalled seeing the coach in the university shower room with a young boy but that nothing "inappropriate" took place.

Anderson said that young boys often accompanied Sandusky to football games along with Sandusky's family. He said Sandusky spent a lot of time with children related to Sandusky's charity, The Second Mile. But he also said that college football coaching responsibilites were so extensive that it left little time for family or outside activities.

Anderson said Penn State coaches generally worked up to 17 hours a day, at least four days a week, and frequently traveled outside of the area on recruiting trips in the off-season.

"Jerry had a great reputation," he said. He was "well thought of in every regard."

Anderson said that it was "part of my life" to be in locker rooms showering with either fellow coaches or young people.

Many of the 51 criminal counts against Sandusky allege that the former coach abused young people in university shower rooms.

Booker Brooks, another former Sandusky colleague, testified that showering with children following physical activities was a "very common thing."

"Were you naked?" defense lawyer Joe Amendola asked.

"I never shower with my clothes on," Brooks said drawing laughter from the courtroom gallery.
Prosecutors dropped one of the 52 counts against Sandusky on Monday because the statute he was charged under did not apply at the time of the alleged illegal contact.

And lastly this dropped on Deadspin:
[h1]Jerry Sandusky Still Has A Legal Advantage Over His Accusers Because Pennsylvania Law Is Still Stupid[/h1]
Prosecutors have identified all but two of the 10 men Jerry Sandusky is accused of sexually assaulting as children. All eight of those known victims finished testifying Thursday, so those of us following the trial are hereby spared from any more nauseating details of the former Penn State defensive coordinator's alleged abuse.

Yet as credible as those victims were, and as overwhelming as their testimony was, there is still room for Sandusky's defense team to maneuver legally, and that's because Pennsylvania's criminal statutes are still uniquely, stupidly stuck in the past.

We told you about this in December, thanks to some terrific reporting by Philadelphia Weekly's Tara Murtha, who at the time pointed out two ways in which accused sex offenders like Sandusky can benefit from Pennsylvania law at trial:
1. Trial judges are required to instruct jurors to factor in how long it took for victims to report their allegations of sex abuse to authorities, even though that time difference is known to have no relevance to the truth of their claims.

2. Expert testimony in sex assault cases is not permitted.

As Murtha has written, federal courts allow experts to testify about the behaviors of both victims and assailants in sexual assault cases. So does the military. So does D.C. And so does every other state in the country. Just not the one in which Jerry Sandusky is accused of committing his alleged crimes. So why is this now worth repeating? Because in April, Murtha wrote another story highlighting the fact that the state Senate failed to take action to close those legal loopholes—even though a bill that would allow for expert testimony in sex-abuse cases had already passed the state House last year by a 197-0 margin.

You'd think, after all the publicity the Sandusky case garnered last fall, that Pennsylvania lawmakers would have been moved to act swiftly to bring these statutes into the 21st century. But you'd be wrong.

Here's Murtha:
As it sat gathering dust, state Sen. Stewart Greenleaf, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, offered various tone-deaf reasons for the stall.

In December, to the surprise of both of the bill's sponsors, Greenleaf told PW he needed to "fine-tune" the legislation. In February, Patriot-News reporter Sara Ganim, who broke the Sandusky story, wrote that the reason for the delay was that "Greenleaf wants to make sure any bill allows for the defense to bring an expert into court, too."

After more pressure from groups like Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape, HB1264 finally passed out of committee on March 27—but it still isn't law and, with a 60-day effective date along with the news today that the trial will not be delayed again, it will not be in effect during the Sandusky trial.

Likewise, neither chamber of the legislature made any effort to do anything about the backward-@#* language that's been codified into the state's jury instructions, which read as follows:
"Failure to Make Prompt Complaint in Certain Sexual Offenses: ‘The evidence of [name of victim]'s [failure to complain] [delay in making a complaint] does not necessarily make [his] [her] testimony unreliable, but may remove from it the assurance of reliability accompanying the prompt complaint or outcry that the victim of a crime such as this would ordinarily be expected to make.'"

Sandusky's attorney, Lawyerin' Joe Amendola, has made it clear he intends to pound away at the victims' credibility. And because of the legislature's inaction, he's got the law on his side.

Remember, only one of Sandusky's victims came forward just after the alleged abuse took place. Some continued to associate with him for years after the alleged assaults stopped, with at least one acknowledging he had lunched with Sandusky as recently as summer. Sandusky's defense claims he has something called "histrionic personality disorder," and on Friday Judge John Cleland issued an order allowing an expert to testify to that effect. As for the psychology of Sandusky's victims, Murtha wrote:
"In sexual-assault trials, psychology experts could advise jurors, for example, that it is common for child-sex-abuse victims to maintain relationships with the authority figures who attacked them and that it's also common for a victim to not reveal the abuse for years."

But in Pennsylvania, and in the case of Jerry Sandusky's victims specifically, none of that is in play.

eek.gif
mad.gif

Wait....WHAT???!!!????

CoachES, as in PLURAL?  What the hell are they doing at Penn State?  This is absolutely inexcusable.  I'm not accusing other coaches of doing what Sandusky did, but they have NO business in the same showers as those children.  NONE.  Where the hell is the common sense?  Names need to come out. 

*I'm reading the articles you and Gunna posted now, but obviously I didn't get past the first paragraph...

@DickieV Paterno: "I would have called people right away, but it was a Saturday morning and I didn’t want to interfere with their weekends."

This quote has me so heated and sad at the same damn time.

So it wasn't just Jerry on the coaching staff showering with young boys?

Good Lord.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

@DickieV Paterno: "I would have called people right away, but it was a Saturday morning and I didn’t want to interfere with their weekends."

and you got Folks saying its sad this ruined Paterno's Legacy

Paterno deserved worse than just a "Tarnished Legacy"
what a *%!@@%% Joke.

Am I to understand that in that last article by deadspin about the 197-0 vote to adjust the laws and nothing has been done, anyone else lookin at that like there are members of the God damn senate that are protecting Sandusky and leaving this loophole WIDE open for him to get thru? 
eek.gif
indifferent.gif

49 states have the law, military, etc, and it was just voted in a landslide to be changed, and it's just sitting on a desk somewhere, no action taken? 
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

Please tell me that's not what's going on. 

I say bravo to SBB goin at dickie v, yes or no, answer the question, that simple.  V obviously took the time to go back and forth, so why not answer one lone question?  %#!* that dude's legacy. 

Multiple coaches showering with kids.  This is normal......More I hear, more I feel comfortable just goin back to 49 states with a big $!@ parking lot beneath New York. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

and you got Folks saying its sad this ruined Paterno's Legacy

Paterno deserved worse than just a "Tarnished Legacy"
what a *%!@@%% Joke.

i guess im not as informed as i thought. what did paterno do?

How would anyone want to go to Penn State now? I mean, lets be honest. If you meet anyone for the first time and you ask them where they went to school....and their response is Penn State....what will be the first thing you think of?

Forget giving the football program the death sentence....shut down the college period.

https://twitter.com/search/#Sandusky
#Sandusky trial in recess for the day. Defense has 'technical' issues. Will resume for a full day Tues. Expected to hear closings Thursday

Deadspin:

(Amendola) has said Sandusky will take the stand. But Judge John Cleland said today the defense is expected to rest by noon Wednesday, and as Yahoo's Dan Wetzel points out, that wouldn't leave enough time for what is certain to be an extended cross-examination. At this point, if Sandusky is called to testify, I half-expect him to wear a Groucho mask and bring sock puppets with him to the witness stand.

Originally Posted by Erincaprice

just my opinion, i think paterno had something to do with this whole thing,, sandusky just was the fall guy

I believe he knew, hell, everyone knew

but I dont believe there is anything to Paterno being involved in acts... there is zero evidence to it.

This older generation and their "locker room mentality" SMH.   These old coaches on the stand are in that same club, thank god this is slowly getting phased out with current and future generations.

Go to any gym this week. Old wrinkled dudes just hangin out stark naked, showering together, chillin together. This attitude is exactly how Jerry got away with a lot of this crap 
eyes.gif

Ive played sports My entire Life. Im talkin from 7 years old CYO baseball, CYO basketball, tennis, Pop warner football, High school baseball, football, basketball, golf, and football in college.

Ive traveled up and down from Vermont to Florida playing in tournaments, camps or meets.

Ive been in Locker rooms all over, Never once Have I seen, heard of, or being in a shower with coaches, or older males. and My Dad Coached my teams in football and baseball up thru my 7th grade year. I have never even showered with My pops.

that !%#% is Not acceptable.

I got kinda upset reading about the courtroom laughter after dude said he doesnt shower with his clothes on, there isnt a single thing funny in this case.

[h1]Bernstein: Krzyzewski, Vitale Embarrassing Themselves[/h1][h6]June 18, 2012 10:41 AM[/h6]
Share thishttp://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/18/bernstein-krzyzewski-vitale-embarrassing-themselves/#http://
/chicago.cbslocal.com/?p=317481">http://chicago.cbslocal.com/?p=317481">View Comments
Share and see what your friends read on CBS Local.
What's this?

73522616.jpg

**** Vitale and Mike Krzyzewski (Photos by Jonathan Daniel and Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)

dan-bernstein2.jpg

Reporting Dan Bernstein

[h5]Filed under[/h5]Blogs, College, Sports, Syndicated Sports

[h5]Related tags[/h5]Bobby Knight, CNN, Dan Bernstein, **** Vitale, Duke University, ESPN, Jerry Sandusky, Joe Paterno, Mike Krzyzewski, Penn State, Twitter

[h5]Don't Miss This[/h5]

By Dan Bernstein

CBSChicago.com Senior Columnist

(CBS) One is a wolf in sheep’s clothing — a nasty megalomaniac who is over-worshipped and overpowered because of a bouncing, rubber ball. He’s as vainglorious and vindictive as the coach for whom he once played, but with a better understanding of PR. Bobby Knight, airbrushed.

The other is an otherwise well-meaning buffoon who has shriveled into a groaning, geriatric caricature. He’s an infomercial pitchman for a sport in decline, still doing the same act that worked in 1987. He is what his employer is: a broadcaster turned marketer.

Mike Krzyzewski and **** Vitale are symbiotic beings, having nourished each other for nearly 30 years. The literal tower from which Krzyzewski surveys Duke’s west campus was built as much by Vitale’s obsequiousness as it was by victories, and the national attention to the school afforded Vitale a bully pulpit.

Their biological mutualism showed an ugly side over the weekend, when both waded into the dank, murky water of the Penn State child-rape scandal. Krzyzewski told CNN the school was wrong to fire Joe Paterno, the coach who had an eyewitness account of Jerry Sandusky raping a boy in the shower of the football office, yet allowed him to use the facilities to prey on more victims for ten years afterward.

“You had somebody who’s given six decades of service to the university and done such an incredible job,

Maybe I missed it but what age for the grand daughter.

I feel bad for PSU alums (beyond my obvious feelings for families and victims), nothing to do with the situation but your alma mater is just looking worse and worse and that degree becomes less attractive by the day. At no faukt of your own, just a select few

Back
Top Bottom