The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

The more I think about this is absurd, the NCAA, an organism which existence is abhorrent, abnormal and nonsensical to begin with weighing in on criminal offenses of the worse kind is ridiculous, the fining of a public institutions being levied by and organization that deals primarily with, ******g boosters and tattoos scandals is ridiculous and Mike Emmerich turning these horrible offenses into an opportunity for some nice PR and to give a lesson on "morals" is bonkers.

This is stupid.
They have no business doing this.

In the future does this mean any possible violation of "the morals of higher education" will be punished by the NCAA? Are they going to look into the dude at West Virginia who murked his girlfriend?. How about Duke Lacrosse?

The more I think about this is absurd, the NCAA, an organism which existence is abhorrent, abnormal and nonsensical to begin with weighing in on criminal offenses of the worse kind is ridiculous, the fining of a public institutions being levied by and organization that deals primarily with, ******g boosters and tattoos scandals is ridiculous and Mike Emmerich turning these horrible offenses into an opportunity for some nice PR and to give a lesson on "morals" is bonkers.

This is stupid.
They have no business doing this.

In the future does this mean any possible violation of "the morals of higher education" will be punished by the NCAA? Are they going to look into the dude at West Virginia who murked his girlfriend?. How about Duke Lacrosse?
So whats the point of the NCAA in the first place if not this?

What does weighing in fiduciary discrepancies do that issuing punishments in a wide-spread sexual abuse cover-up doesn't?

The precedent of NCAA intrusion was CLEARLY set long before this ruling and for you to act surprised really makes me wonder.

Such a shame for the NCAA to punish a football program in which they allowed a sexual predator to molest young boys on campus. Yeah that's setting a bad precedent
eyes.gif

What does weighing in fiduciary discrepancies do that issuing punishments in a wide-spread sexual abuse cover-up doesn't?

The precedent of NCAA intrusion was CLEARLY set long before this ruling and for you to act surprised really makes me wonder.

Judges issue punishments, people are going to jail, there career and lives are ruined (and rightfully so), when has the NCAA ever issued punishments for criminal actions?

and do you really think punishing child molestation with bowl games is on the face of it just silly?

I agree with this. To me a 20 scholarship reduction for four years is impossible to overcome. They will be every bit as bad as SMU was after they got the death penalty. Penn State football will be a punchline and a game people look forward to playing for the foreseeable future. Personally if I were in their spot I would rather just take a year or two off and have it out of sight, out of mind, than to have to get blown out by my rivals and mocked by the rest of the country. Getting embarrassed on the field and reminded of not only how much you suck, but the reason WHY you suck, is more of a punishment than just having the program take a year off IMO.
yall dont understand that the death penalty was more then just a 1 year ban for SMU.

Judges issue punishments, people are going to jail, there career and lives are ruined (and rightfully so), when has the NCAA ever issued punishments for criminal actions?

and do you really think punishing child molestation with bowl games is on the face of it just silly?
I dont see how it's silly...I dont understand why ppl are so enraged by the NCAA doing this.

the NCAA has always played by it's own rules, why the **** do ppl care now as if it'll change things for how they approach criminal offenses within programs. This **** isn't going to change anything in the future for how the NCAA conducts it's business. This is the worst **** to happen within a collegiate program.

Ppl crying about this ****, they could have gotten hit alot harder. **** baffles me

yall dont understand that the death penalty was more then just a 1 year ban for SMU.

I watched the 30 for 30 on it and I know they had 55 schollies reduced over the next 4 years and no off campus recruiting etc, and ended up canceling their next season as well. But what's your point?

I dont see how it's silly...I dont understand why ppl are so enraged by the NCAA doing this.

the NCAA has always played by it's own rules, why the **** do ppl care now as if it'll change things for how they approach criminal offenses within programs. This **** isn't going to change anything in the future for how the NCAA conducts it's business. This is the worst **** to happen within a collegiate program.

Ppl crying about this ****, they could have gotten hit alot harder. **** baffles me

and I have never agreed with it, but now you have given Mark Emmirch, a hair cut with shiny teeth the power to arbitrarily fine public institutions, with no precedent, oversight or perspective based on something as ethereal as "the morality of higher education".

This served no purpose, it's not a deterrent, you are not even punishing the guilty it's merely a PR spectacle to be lapped up by the masses so forgive me if I don't get up and applaud.

Last edited:

They ice entire teams for giving football players random stuff like iPods. 

But now protecting raped children is too wild? 

I'm done...
roll.gif

Penn state should be happy they can even draw a picture of a football at this point.

Lest I remind you, this was an INSTITUTIONAL failure. 

Last edited:

and I have never agreed with it, but now you have given Mark Emmirch, a hair cut with shiny teeth the power to arbitrarily fine public institutions, with no precedent, oversight or perspective based on something as ethereal as "the morality of higher education".

This served no purpose, it's not a deterrent, you are not even punishing the guilty it's merely a PR spectacle to be lapped up by the masses so forgive me if I don't get up and applaud.
The NCAA will pick and choose what they deem fit to punish, they have always been this way and will  continue to be. Im not applauding them

The NCAA has always been on some BS, nobody is defending that but why is this particular situation have people up in roar for how the NCAA punishes institutions in the future for things in/outside their jurisdiction? The NCAA was headed this route regardless, whether this unfortunate situation happened or not so I don't see the point of being pissed about it in this particular situation. If it wasnt Penn State, it would have been something else down the line...I'm not going to shed tears for what happen to that school today, sorry...

They ice entire teams for giving football players random stuff like iPods

I'm done...:rofl:

Penn state should be happy they can even draw a picture of a football at this point.

THAT IS WITHIN THERE JURISDICTION, IT'S NOT THERE JOB TO OVERSEE TO CRIMINAL CASES. THEY HAVE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE, THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS DOING IT NOW.

THEY AREN'T PROTECTING ANYONE, if you want to eat up that ******** that's fine with me but, child molesters aren't going to NOT molest someone because oh wow, my wins will be vacated THAT'S ASININE. People aren't going to think of NCAA violations before they think of things like JAIL.

It's a power grab pure and simple, and you guys are buying into it. :smh:

The NCAA will pick and choose what they deem fit to punish, they have always been this way and will  continue to be. Im not applauding them

The NCAA has always been on some BS, nobody is defending that but why is this particular situation have people up in roar for how the NCAA punishes institutions in the future for things in/outside their jurisdiction? The NCAA was headed this route regardless, whether this unfortunate situation happened or not so I don't see the point of being pissed about it in this particular situation. If it wasnt Penn State, it would have been something else down the line...I'm not going to shed tears for what happen to that school today, sorry...

Let me get this straight,

1. I don't about Penn State, anything bad that happens to them is not only fine but deserved.
2. I'm not objecting to them being punished, I'm objecting to who is doing the punishment and the future ramifications of said punishment.

3. This has no precedent, the NCAA has never gone this far before.

They ice entire teams for giving football players random stuff like iPods. 

I'm done...
roll.gif

THAT IS WITHIN THERE JURISDICTION, IT'S NOT THERE JOB TO OVERSEE TO CRIMINAL CASES. THEY HAVE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE, THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS DOING IT NOW.

THEY AREN'T PROTECTING ANYONE, if you want to eat up that ******** that's fine with me but, child molesters aren't going to NOT molest someone because oh wow, my wins will be vacated THAT'S ASININE. People aren't going to think of NCAA violations before they think of things like JAIL.

It's a power grab pure and simple, and you guys are buying into it.
mean.gif
There are many things to hold against the NCAA, but this this seriously one of them?

What punishments would you have preferred? Nothing at all?

This was was an INSTITUTIONAL cover-up. Nothing like this has ever happened before. How is this NOT in their jurisdiction?

This was about sending a message. Thats what its always been about. 

I'm pretty sure "don't screw little kids" didn't make it into the bylaws because NO ONE ANTICIPATED THAT. 

They might as well include "don't turn right on red in a team school bus" as well. 

1. I don't about Penn State, anything bad that happens to them is not only fine but deserved.
2. I'm not objecting to them being punished, I'm objecting to who is doing the punishment and the future ramifications of said punishment.

Oh ok...so you were just gonna complain anyways.

You felt SOMETHING needed to be done but you just didn't like who was doing it...except they're the only people who can do something about it.

Last edited:
Thats not there job man, they have never dealt with any criminal matters, there job is to prevent competitive imbalances not arbitrarily hand out punishments of criminal offenses. Courts of law do that.

NCAA ARBITRARILY being able to punish people based on "morals" doesn't worry you people?

what message has been sent?

Last edited:
Thats not there job man, they have never dealt with any criminal matters, there job is to prevent competitive imbalances not arbitrarily hand out punishments of criminal offenses. Courts of law do that.

NCAA ARBITRARILY being able to punish people based on "morals" doesn't worry you people?

what message has been sent?
I'm going to answer this post with your previous post.

So then I ask you earnestly, what would you have wanted to see done?

I'm not an NCAA cheerleader here, but you can't sit on the fence about this.

You either support SOMETHING of a punishment or nothing at all. 

At the moment you support SOMETHING of a punishment, then you've gotta live with what you get.

The reason the NCAA got involved had nothing to do with the crime, It was the cover up and conspiracy by the athletic dept. It showed complete lack of institutional control. What really surprised me was the swift action they took.

i support, Sandusky, spanier, curly, going to jail, having there lives ruined, the careers ended, any of this other ******** by the NCAA, is a waste of time.

All you apologists out here are fighting a losing battle. I would have been perfectly fine with the suspension of the program.

Back
Top Bottom