The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

I do feel like a year off from football would have done a lot of good

But the death penalty is more than a "year off from football"....SMU had 55 scholarships suspended for the 4 following years in addition to that one-year suspension.

Last edited:
Penn State will stil be on TV, can still sell out their stadium & receive donations from alumni & boosters.
They said Penn State needed a culture chang but after the sanctions were handed out does this really change the culture there? I don't think so.
i thought most of the main people in it thought are not a penn state any more? dead,fired,resigned, etc etc

• The 1987 season was canceled; only conditioning drills were permitted during the 1987 calendar year.
  • All home games in 1988 were canceled. SMU was allowed to play their seven regularly scheduled away games so that other institutions would not be financially affected.
  • The team's existing probation was extended until 1990. Its existing ban from bowl games and live television was extended to 1989.
  • SMU lost 55 new scholarship positions over 4 years.
  • SMU was required to ensure that Owen and eight other boosters previously banned from contact with the program were in fact banned, or else face further punishment.
  • The team was allowed to hire only five full-time assistant coaches, instead of the typical nine.
  • No off-campus recruiting was permitted until August 1988, and no paid visits could be made to campus by potential recruits until the start of the 1988-89 school year
  • because all the players left SMU canceled the 1988 season on its own.
  • and the conference SMU was in. end up getting broken up

Thanks for posting Mike. (BTW, cant wait for basketball season....go Bruns!!)

i thought most of the main people in it thought are not a penn state any more? dead,fired,resigned, etc etc
Only on the surface. They're are probably still people within that institution who enabled Paterno who enabled Sandusky. Probably still some skeletons left in the closet there, I think PSU took what was given to them rather than go through a full investigation where other things can become discovered.

Y'all don't get it, this will kill the school. Who will want to go to the butt of all jokes school? It will be a long time before respect it restored Let alone the football program

The Big Ten announced psu will not be able to play in conference title game in the next 4 years & ineligable to receive it's share of the Big Ten conference bowl revenues for the next 4 years also (apprx $13 mil).

So vacating wins from 1998 - 2011, going into this season Penn State is on a 13 year losing streak?? Wow!!! 

Need to call my bookie..............Someone owes me $$$$ :tongue:

Don't agree with taking away the wins, from 98 at that, either take away all of them or leave them alone, like do the teams they face lose or gain a game, it never happened? School records, are all over the place at this point...

Oh the T-shirts and plaques............

At first I thought the NCAA should stay out of it but after all those details came out they had to do something. The football program's finger prints is all over this. I hope Joe Pa's family leaves it alone. I understand his son wants to defend his father but at this point you really cant.

^
They'll keep releasing statements everyday saying he wasn't guilty of anything and not responsible.

As I said before I can't fault the family for defending him. I shake my head way more at the alums and former players that are standing 100% behind him and not seeing/hearing the evidence. Have a open mind about it at the very least

See the reactions from these PSU students? Especially the females that are sitting right up in the camera. What the hell are YOU crying about. 8)

See the reactions from these PSU students? Especially the females that are sitting right up in the camera. What the hell are YOU crying about. 8)

as much as I love Nebraska football, THERE IS NO WAY i'd be upset at the consequences if it were us and not Penn state. no way. i'd probably renounce my fandom.

and this is coming from someone who feels a part of him die every time he sees Taylor Martinez drop back to pass. its just football.

:smh:

^ I think a lot of the "reactions" were for show because they knew a camera was sitting right in their faces. 8)

Hey ESPN... I had a 13 game win steak going in "Streak for the Cash" and then I picked Ohio State over PSU, and thanks to Pryor's fumble. I lost. Do the right thing ESPN.!

This penalty is worse than the death penalty to me in the long run.

I don't like the NCAA, but they did the right thing here.

I agree with this. To me a 20 scholarship reduction for four years is impossible to overcome. They will be every bit as bad as SMU was after they got the death penalty. Penn State football will be a punchline and a game people look forward to playing for the foreseeable future. Personally if I were in their spot I would rather just take a year or two off and have it out of sight, out of mind, than to have to get blown out by my rivals and mocked by the rest of the country. Getting embarrassed on the field and reminded of not only how much you suck, but the reason WHY you suck, is more of a punishment than just having the program take a year off IMO.

Death penalty would be slightly worse because the school wouldn't get any tv money or tickets sales from football games. I don't think the penalties were enough. I would've given that school a 5 year death penalty.

Can the new president tell everyone associated with the school to shut the eff up? There needs to be one voice right now coming from that school & it needs to contrite & full of humility.

ESPN radio's Gottlieb had a newly elected psu board member on earlier today & he was saying the Freeh report was full of holes & there was no way that bastard paterno covered this up.

I wanted to reach through the radio & choke the life out of him. I swear, psu alumni are the most arrogant people I think I've ever heard or been around.

I agree with this. To me a 20 scholarship reduction for four years is impossible to overcome. They will be every bit as bad as SMU was after they got the death penalty. Penn State football will be a punchline and a game people look forward to playing for the foreseeable future. Personally if I were in their spot I would rather just take a year or two off and have it out of sight, out of mind, than to have to get blown out by my rivals and mocked by the rest of the country. Getting embarrassed on the field and reminded of not only how much you suck, but the reason WHY you suck, is more of a punishment than just having the program take a year off IMO.
But wouldnt they lose a ton of money from not playing the games altogether? I think being embarrassed on the field while still gaining a profit is the lesser of evils imo

SMU was also forced to down-size their coaching staff....They got hit from every angle possible

Last edited:
Any big athletic school alumni would be like that. Sports over everything else....

Nothing like having your priorities straight!

Yeah, after these videos, Penn State students CLEARLY don't get it. 

roll.gif
 nothing more than blind sycophants.

Its not about you. Its about those victims.

Now I REALLY don't care about Penn State. At. All. 

And miss me with the "the media selected those faces to represent a reaction"

Non-sense! That room was PACKED.

Get to class young'uns. Theres an economy waiting for you to fix when you graduate!

Now for a REAL response:

Back
Top Bottom