The RETRO Gaming Thread!

giphy.gif

I only played the first Metal Gear on the og NES.
Game was hard af. So easy to get lost.

Years later I watched a walkthrough, then tried to beat it, the game froze halfway through
and I was just like...

giphy.gif

One of the hardest NES games in my book yet it rarely gets mentioned in that
conversation these days...This coming from someone who could routinely beat
the first TMNT game in maybe less than 30 minutes and could TKO Tyson in the
2nd round almost everytime. The Ninja Gaiden video game series may be my fav.

green rhino123 green rhino123 I think most people use the Metal Gear games on the PSX and upwards as their point of reference. Don't think that even us mid-30 cats would've been into a stealth, action game when we were in our single digit years plus Nintendo didn't even push for a sequel on the SNES.

Oh yeah regarding your ability to complete the NES TMNT in < 30 minutes (back in '89)...

DuckTales_%28Main_title%29.jpg

You'd want to smash the cartridge to bits after getting steam-rolled in the top down sections within 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Can't remember this one, but for some reason the 16-bit X-Men game were insanely hard. Friend let me borrow X-Men 1 on the Mega Drive and I just barely made it to the second level.

You guys feel that the 8/16 bit era had far too many games that were simply not fun due to their difficulty?

Can't remember this one, but for some reason the 16-bit X-Men game were insanely hard. Friend let me borrow X-Men 1 on the Mega Drive and I just barely made it to the second level.

You guys feel that the 8/16 bit era had far too many games that were simply not fun due to their difficulty?

I used to get pretty far on that Genesis X-Men game with a friend of mine, we were in 5th grade too.

That era was tough but it's all we knew. It really made you think while you played and taught you how to exercise patience. My 9 and 11 year old nephews finish ps4 games quickly but can't pass the first stage of Mario Bros (nes) so it leads me to believe these new era games are too easy.

I owned the game. Took me while to beat but once I did I was a master and could beat it every time...I would basically do
speed runs on that game. Must have beat it 20 times or more. Losing even 1 turtle before beating it was unacceptable...that is I could beat it every time with all 4 turtles in about 30 minutes. In may have taken a few months to get that good.

Ninja Gaiden games are harder. The OG Ghost 'N Goblins was harder. Gumshoe was harder.
I put TMNT in or around the same level of difficulty as the first Metroid...which did take much longer to beat.

After almost 30 years of not playing these game - I think I could pick up TMNT and beat it in a day or two now just
from muscle memory. I could beat Tyson in the second rd after just a few practice bouts.

Man, this thrift store I visit got put on to reseller prices for Nes games. I saw 7 games and they all had higher than usual prices. $12.95 for Metal Gear? $9.95 for Breakthrough? Passed on all except for Urban Champion because I didn't have it. It was $3.95 so I didn't mind.

Man, this thrift store I visit got put on to reseller prices for Nes games. I saw 7 games and they all had higher than usual prices. $12.95 for Metal Gear? $9.95 for Breakthrough? Passed on all except for Urban Champion because I didn't have it. It was $3.95 so I didn't mind.

In their defense TURBO UNO TURBO UNO they're late by about 2-3 years so hopefully that gave you enough time to go in there and get some steals. :lol:

In their defense TURBO UNO TURBO UNO they're late by about 2-3 years so hopefully that gave you enough time to go in there and get some steals. :lol:
The place is reseller central and it's where all the weekly "yard sale" people get their stock from. I'm just annoyed it's the Nes games that got a price hike, but I definitely got great games at this spot. I'm taking $1 for games now going for $40+

Urban Champion is a decent game.
A school friend had this one but he never wanted to play it. Always left me curious, lol. Good thing for YouTube.

sometimes they get new management and they think they gonna get ebay prices.
Ahh, might me the case.
Damn.

Back
Top Bottom