The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Batman Forever on Sega Genesis is still one of the worst games I've ever played

There were an 'ish ton of terrible platform games in that 8/16 bit era. Most of the digitized 'Mortal Kombat' type ones were horrid.

Just when you thought we were done talking Metal Gear.....

3503E02C-D289-4CF5-9975-1F326285CDED.jpeg

33A00980-C9CE-47F8-89F5-C4FE4A9BBB0F.jpeg

My pickup for the month

Game is ridiculous... be prepared to not take it seriously. I think there's a part where he back flips off a missle or something. Sold that game soon as I beat it.

Doesn't make them any less ******ed looking. Still wish they would give the game a proper remaster with out all the shenanigans but Konami won't do it justice.

I remember playing the Atari Lynx portable console aka "Gameboy on steroids" on display at the department store.

It was too expensive so no one I knew actually had it then - but I'm sure more cats have them now...if there is any demand.

Atari-Lynx-Flat-Front.jpg

I remember..

Like it was yesterday. 'Controversy' regarding the blood/gore was huge. Must've sold thousands of copies on that alone as the actual gameplay wasn't that impressive (but improved with MK2 and the excellent MK3). The Game Boy version was pure garbage - not even sure why they even bothered making it. :smh:

I know there were other digitized graphics games before MK but I remember it being the game that pushed more developers onto that bandwagon.

Like it was yesterday. 'Controversy' regarding the blood/gore was huge. Must've sold thousands of copies on that alone as the actual gameplay wasn't that impressive (but improved with MK2 and the excellent MK3). The Game Boy version was pure garbage - not even sure why they even bothered making it. :smh:

I know there were other digitized graphics games before MK but I remember it being the game that pushed more developers onto that bandwagon.

Controversy and gore factor definitely pushed units but let’s not act like it wasn’t an awesome game beyond that. Maybe the gameplay wasn’t perfect but the characters, their special moves, some fatalities, and levels were really dope to the point they were able to make successful live action movies based on them. Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung, Goro, Raiden, and Sonya are all arguably gaming immortals.

25 years ago today, Mortal Kombat was released on home consoles.
It was billed as Mortal Monday.

I would go to a friends house and we would try to figure out the special moves. No one could do sub zero’s freeze regularly, we couldnt figure out the “down to forward” quarter circle concept :smh: (we were super young though)

Last edited:
Oh nah, just remembered how I had a few friends and a few family members who had it.

Would go over a few houses and play but was never impressed.

The controller was a mess.

Bend_The_Knee Bend_The_Knee I'm actually impressed that you had a friends and family that owned that system. I didn't know of anyone that had one or wanted it either and I was heavy into the video gaminc scene at that time! :nerd:

Professional reviewers had the exact same 'meh' experience as you did and the controller was absolutely horrid. Joint had 3 core buttons and 12 useless ones. :smh:

FWIW, Atari Jaguar was an epic fail with < 250,000 units sold while Dreamcast sold > 9M units.

You mentioned that DC was overrated but I'll counter that it was priced decently and some games in its library have held up even to this day. Its game library has something for everybody.

Back
Top Bottom