The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Controversy and gore factor definitely pushed units but let’s not act like it wasn’t an awesome game beyond that. Maybe the gameplay wasn’t perfect but the characters, their special moves, some fatalities, and levels were really dope to the point they were able to make successful live action movies based on them. Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung, Goro, Raiden, and Sonya are all arguably gaming immortals.

Not disputing any of this and I mentioned that the game kept getting better with every iteration. Vanilla MK 3 with the running ability and improved combo system was excellent. The Ultimate version was filled with way too many useless characters.

25 years ago today, Mortal Kombat was released on home consoles.

It was billed as Mortal Monday.

Wow...I remember this like it was yesterday. I asked for the SNES version for Christmas of 1993 and my parents got me the Sega Genesis version instead. Thank god they did, all of the fatalities were left intact. My parents were pretty lax considering I was 9 at the time. I was amazed seeing this game in the arcade in the summer of 1992, it looked so lifelike.

Yall remember the eternal Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat arguments during this time period?

2362270-nes_supermariobros_jp.jpg

33rd anniversary today.

How wild is that.

Was this documented in the manual though?

Mom did get us a jump-off NES in '90 and Duck Hunt was included in one of those 1000-in-1 cartridges so.... :nerd:

For the longest time we never knew that the games came packaged in boxes with booklets, etc... :lol:

I had the WCW/NWO Revenge, metal gear solid, mortal Kombat strategy guides.

I had more but I don't remember right now.

Y'all would buy strategy guides?

Man, I was getting Prima strategy guides left and right for a while :lol: - I'll have to get a pic of them next time I go visit my parents. I'd try not to spoil the game but i'd definitely flip through and check for artwork. I would only get the Brady ones when Prima wasn't available, ha

Just did a load of laundry and noticed some loud "clanking" sounds coming from the clothes dryer. Come to find out a PS2 memory card was rolling in there :lol:

I'll open it up, let it finish drying and see if it still works. Nice official clear red memory card I forgot I had.

^^^
Pretty cool. Would be interesting to see if it has memory for additional games or has some type of internet connection.

Back
Top Bottom