The RETRO Gaming Thread!

I just did a nba street 2 be a legend playthrough a couple months ago. Have it on gamecube but really need it on xbox because playing it on the gc controller hurts my hands

Can someone explain why this Franchise hasn't stayed relevant on the newer Sony systems?
Great question

Feel like the vehicle combat genre in general died off - at least the single player games. Not sure about Rocket League but it doesn't quite to be in the same vein as Twisted Metal, Carmageddon, Interstate '76, etc...

To a certain extent they might've been phased out in favor of the sandbox/open-world games but again it's not quite the same experience.

Last edited:
NBA Street Vol 2 is probably the greatest basketball game of all time. Live 05 was amazing too with the first all star weekend events!

nfl 2k5 still the best football game of all time too.

PS2 era sports games had the balance of realism meeting passion and technological advancement meeting entertaining fun. Sports games today lack passion. No heart, just cash grabs. I’d say the transition to PS3 is where I first noticed the decline.

NBA Jam/TE and Street Vol. 2 are GOAT as far as casual/arcade 'ball games go. :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

NBA 2K2 on the Dreamcast is GOAT simulation game for me. I still have a blast playing it today vs. some of the newer games.

vood99 vood99 , have you ever used/played with a Atari ST ??

My local thrift store tossed one out because they thought it was junk so I picked it off the floor and right into my trunk :lol: This is the Atari 1040 STF model WITH matching color monitor (Atari SC1224). I’m only missing the propriety video/audio cable that connects the console to the monitor. I found the cable new in a UK based website for $13. My plan is to clean it out first to make sure it turns on.

Edit: Forgot to mention it came with the Atari mouse as well.

My G TURBO UNO TURBO UNO this is actually the first time I'm hearing of this computer. Definitely a cool piece of history to have. If you do get it working you may have difficulty sourcing components for it as it's an 8bit type machine that barely steps into 16bit territory. They were popular in Europe hence the parts being sourced from UK. If you're serious about vintage gaming a x86 based PC is a far better choice and it's way, way easier to source replacement components, etc...

NBA Jam/TE and Street Vol. 2 are GOAT as far as casual/arcade 'ball games go. :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

NBA 2K2 on the Dreamcast is GOAT simulation game for me. I still have a blast playing it today vs. some of the newer games.

I’m missing the 2k2 line up of games except for the college one. I’m definitely going to scoop it up if I ever come across them.

Never seemed right to get any of the 2k2 games on a system other than Dreamcast.

My G TURBO UNO TURBO UNO this is actually the first time I'm hearing of this computer. Definitely a cool piece of history to have. If you do get it working you may have difficulty sourcing components for it as it's an 8bit type machine that barely steps into 16bit territory. They were popular in Europe hence the parts being sourced from UK. If you're serious about vintage gaming a x86 based PC is a far better choice and it's way, way easier to source replacement components, etc...

Hopefully it does fire up as the console has maintenance decals showing it was last serviced in March of 2001 from a repair shop near my place. I see the games are pretty inexpensive so I might order one to test the disk drive, only if the menu starts up of course. I’ve read that they sell disk drives that have a built in FlashDrive reader so I can download ROMs of many games and play.

I honestly have no intentions of getting into vintage pc gaming. This one might be mine for a bit and then sell it as I don’t want anymore consoles/computers. I just happened to find this one for free :lol:

Could never get into the Dreamcast.

Could never get into the Dreamcast.
if you like fighting games dreamcast has some of the best titles that are very close to the arcade versions
20200319_140406.jpg

if you like fighting games dreamcast has some of the best titles that are very close to the arcade versions
20200319_140406.jpg

There are exactly ZERO lies in that statement. The Dreamcast was the best system for Fighters. The console’s ports still top many ports of games on other consoles of that generation.

No other version of MVC2 compared until the PS3/360 version came. I still want to play CVS2 on The Cast to compare to the PS2 version.

Plus there are still so many Console exclusives that add to the allure of the Dreamcast.

And it was the first console to have better graphics than the arcades (see Soul Calibur). I just love that system.

I feel like the Saturn gets lost in all of these conversations. That was an excellent system for 2-D Fighters for games that came out during that time period.

The "vs." games from Capcom
Alpha Series
Dalkstalkers

Allegedly, the 4Ram version of Street Fighter zero/alpha 3 on Saturn is Better than the Dreamcast version.

The Saturn definitely had the superior 2d fighters to PS1, but once again, Sega shot themselves in the foot with the marketing.

Speaking of Fighters originating on Saturn, Virtua Fighter needs to make a come back. At least give us series compilation. VF4 and VF Evolution are 2 of my favorite games ever made. Seeing the characters in DOA5 Was cool, but I’d rather see DOA characters appear in VF6.

Besides nostalgia, this was pretty bad. You can probably find it again.

I probably could but not in the wild, more like eBay and for $20 (maybe more). I never got to play this game for the Genesis so the title was new to me. I have YouTube’d the game but it’s not the same.

Earthbound.

I don't get it.

It’s one of those games that you just have to play through to get it’s appeal. It’s a fun ride through with a colorful cast. I can understand those who don’t like it, but I’ve always loved it.

Dude at my local game store was sold the complete in-box for $600. I thought he’d never move it, but sure enough this high roller from Mexico bought it.

Back
Top Bottom