The RETRO Gaming Thread!

WWF/E should pay AKI/Syn Sophia whatever the hell they want to revitalize their game engine from Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 or No Mercy. Just have an actual referee in the ring instead of the 2D sprite and increase the number of onscreen wrestlers to 8 at the very minimum.

If they refuse then get the Fire Pro cats to make the game - pay them whatever the hell they want.

I seriously doubt that team is together anymore. Sounds good in theory but that was 20 ago. Those dudes probably moved on.

first day back at the thrift

JkY0lVZp.jpg

3DS1Of2Y.jpg

I seriously doubt that team is together anymore. Sounds good in theory but that was 20 ago. Those dudes probably moved on.

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican I hear you on this, some team members must've moved on but the company exists as 'Syn Sophia' and they probably (or you'd hope) have the game engine and assets.

I preferred Aki's slower, methodical game engine over the Yuke's game engine. It felt more like an actual wrestling match.

It's a pity that WWF games on GameCube went with the Yuke's game engine, I could never get into them. Gonna try and find a copy of the Def Jame game for GameCube.

Hangtime was a very underrated 64 game. Hype was around 3D when the N64 came out, but the alley oops and double dunks took an already fun nba jam model to another level.

Also they made the play-by-play commentary more insulting. “Terrrrrible shot”’:lol:

likeaboss2 likeaboss2 Agreed with you on Hangtime. As someone that played NBA Jam and Jam TE for hours on the Mega Drive's 6 button controller, I found the N64 control scheme or the controller's 6 button layout slightly tricky to adjust to.

It's kinda interesting but the N64 controller had a modified 6 button layout - the C buttons were the B, C and Y, Z. :lol: :lol: :lol:

41LOtUcyJeL._SR600,315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

0b0df022f904d4eee807100563dce188b50aba9a_300x300.jpg

I preferred Aki's slower, methodical game engine over the Yuke's game engine. It felt more like an actual wrestling match.
Honestly, I didn't view AKI's system as being anywhere near methodical.

No fatigue, not many different speed settings for wrestlers, moves didn't have to be built up means I could powerbomb my opponent within the first 5 seconds of the match.

People loved that series because it was fun. It definitely wasn't methodical by any stretch.

I always wished it played more like a wrestling simulation and I think they would have eventually gotten there since towards the end of the series they finally introduced Weight Detection .

Someone mentioned Fire Pro, but I agree with whoever said Fire Pro is just not visually appealing to most so it wouldn't catch on.

If any of you are familiar with the King of Colosseum series (PS2) have seen what a wrestling simulation looks like. Made by the developers of Fire Pro, KOC was a 3D Wrestling Simulation. IMO, Easily the best 1-Player wrestling game out there.

Still not as great as Vinsanity’s streak(literally in every 2K game from day one until 2K21), but this is fun reminder as well.

Honestly, I didn't view AKI's system as being anywhere near methodical.

No fatigue, not many different speed settings for wrestlers, moves didn't have to be built up means I could powerbomb my opponent within the first 5 seconds of the match.

People loved that series because it was fun. It definitely wasn't methodical by any stretch.

I always wished it played more like a wrestling simulation and I think they would have eventually gotten there since towards the end of the series they finally introduced Weight Detection .

Someone mentioned Fire Pro, but I agree with whoever said Fire Pro is just not visually appealing to most so it wouldn't catch on.

If any of you are familiar with the King of Colosseum series (PS2) have seen what a wrestling simulation looks like. Made by the developers of Fire Pro, KOC was a 3D Wrestling Simulation. IMO, Easily the best 1-Player wrestling game out there.

Oh I definitely agree with you on all points DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican - the AKI engine wasn't perfect by any means. There were some light grapple moves that were way more overpowered than some of their heavy grapple counterparts and the 'taunting' system's impact on your wrester's 'Spirit/Attitude' was somewhat broken.

Even weight detection was kind of half baked. That said we can both agree the AKI game's were fun and better than the trash being churned out as far as mainstream wrestling goes.

Back
Top Bottom