The RETRO Gaming Thread!

The beautiful Southern California weather and golden sun was shinning on me today! I got all this for free. How? Well, a man was going to donate all his old electronics to Goodwill. Inside one of those boxes was this N64, five controllers and three games. I offered him money but he said I could have it for free since he just wanted it out of his garage. Dude was super cool for doing that and I hope he gets rewarded later for it.
:emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_muscle:
475F26F4-6105-442B-AD6A-B750C2700E94.jpeg

BBA6FF81-9694-484D-B217-53F0D1D146FA.jpeg

5E5F44EB-F41D-476E-9B5A-2B22A4D162E6.jpeg

Joints were TERRIBLE man.
It's still a part of gaming history & its evolution, plus I think the display looks cool.

c flyness c flyness I respect that cat for not contributing to electronic waste and tossing those joints out way back when he originally got them. That said those things were hot garbage then and I have no idea why they were reissued now.

Cats want to talk about saving the environment and they should start by limiting the amount of electronic junk that's produced. :smh: :smh: :smh:

The beautiful Southern California weather and golden sun was shinning on me today! I got all this for free. How? Well, a man was going to donate all his old electronics to Goodwill. Inside one of those boxes was this N64, five controllers and three games. I offered him money but he said I could have it for free since he just wanted it out of his garage. Dude was super cool for doing that and I hope he gets rewarded later for it.
:emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_muscle:

BBA6FF81-9694-484D-B217-53F0D1D146FA.jpeg

Lol TURBO UNO TURBO UNO you know the cat with the green controller coming in last in Mario Kart and the first to get pinned/eliminated in Royal Rumble on WM2000.

Back when I was a broke teenager I actually had 2 of those jump off controllers - we had a rule to pass those joints around so no one was stuck with a handicap. My cousins still clown me for buying them two decades later. :smh::smh::smh::lol::lol::lol:

Lol TURBO UNO TURBO UNO you know the cat with the green controller coming in last in Mario Kart and the first to get pinned/eliminated in Royal Rumble on WM2000.

Back when I was a broke teenager I actually had 2 of those jump off controllers - we had a rule to pass those joints around so no one was stuck with a handicap. My cousins still clown me for buying them two decades later. :smh::smh::smh::lol::lol::lol:

Oh man, they’re THAT bad? :rofl:
I’ll put that one somewhere else then. The guy had an OG one inside the box so 4 player games are still possible. Thanks for letting me know vood99 vood99 :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh man, they’re THAT bad? :rofl:
I’ll put that one somewhere else then. The guy had an OG one inside the box so 4 player games are still possible. Thanks for letting me know vood99 vood99 :emoji_thumbsup:

Absolutely terrible. People want to hate on the OEM N64 controller but it was part of the overall experience and my brother and I found it easy to use and even now we can get back into it quite easily. Those jump offs were clunky and had terrible button feel.

I was quite lucky to get some OEM N64 controllers in 9/10 condition a few years back with their analog sticks intact.

Smash Bros, Mario Party and maybe some other games that had you use the analog stick exclusively or wiggle it violently were responsible for all the floppy/loose OEM controllers you see out there.

Absolutely terrible. People want to hate on the OEM N64 controller but it was part of the overall experience and my brother and I found it easy to use and even now we can get back into it quite easily. Those jump offs were clunky and had terrible button feel.

I was quite lucky to get some OEM N64 controllers in 9/10 condition a few years back with their analog sticks intact.

Smash Bros, Mario Party and maybe some other games that had you use the analog stick exclusively or wiggle it violently were responsible for all the floppy/loose OEM controllers you see out there.
I remember a controversy from one of the early Mario Partys, you had to spin the analog stick in the palm of your hand and it was causing kids to bleed :lol:. I think Nintendo started sending out gloves if you requested them.

Speaking of controllers, did yall mess with 3rd party controllers?

Man, historically, I'm just not wasting time/money on non-licensed controllers.

I think the first "off-brand" controller I ever bought was 2 months ago.

A "Fake" XBOX 360 controller that serves as a PC Gaming controller.

I remember a controversy from one of the early Mario Partys, you had to spin the analog stick in the palm of your hand and it was causing kids to bleed :lol:. I think Nintendo started sending out gloves if you requested them.

Yup I remember this, little kids were going ham on that 'ish and getting blisters. The main reason why most N64 controllers have beat up analog sticks. The aftermarket replacements can't get the precision correct.

Last edited:

Lots of fights, temper tantrums, crying spells, etc were caused by getting stuck with a 3rd party controller back in the day :lol:.

No choice when I was a kid, it was Mom who controlled the purse strings. Thankfully the OEMs back then shipped the consoles with 2 controllers as opposed to today. :smh: :smh: :smh:

I had cousins come over regularly so I had the multi-tap for my Mega Drive (Genesis) however it was borderline impossible to get Mom to buy original first party controllers. I'll take the L on the N64 as I was working at the time but making that paper route money. $20 for a pair of bootlegs vs. $35/$40 (CDN) for an OEM was literally a do or die type scenario.

Nah bro, my pick up has nothing on yours. You’re always getting heat for the low-low.

Ahhh that makes sense. I’ve seen a few of them with the sticks loose and some totally missing.

Never messed with 3rd party controllers while growing up. Had 3rd party memory cards on PS1 and lost so much data because of them. Couldn’t turn off the console with them connected. Caused a power surge or something. Something tells me I had one 3rd party controller on PS1 as well, but I don’t remember. If I did, I know it broke quick.

I have 3rd party officially licensed controllers now on the Switch, but I don’t know if I would do it on PS or Xbox. The 3rd Parties today seem to be much better produced and have worked well for me for the most part.

Dope find my man, as someone who likes to collect original boxes, it shows that that person really took care of his stuff. I don't have N64 OG box yet but one day..

Back then I was able to get my hands on original controllers by getting stuff used, and still kept most of them. Had third party controllers here and there but they never lasted.

I wouldn't pay for those off-brand ones from Amazon. However, there are some companies that actually make good controllers such as 8bitdo, Retro-Bit, and Hori.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom