The Simpsons = greatest show ever

Here's the thing people aren't getting... yes, humor can be largely subjective. So no one is saying you HAVE to find The Simpsons to be funny and one of the best shows ever.

But when you look at what The Simpsons in its prime was able to accomplish, it's hard to compare another sitcom to it. Shows like South Park could do social commentary and satirize politics, religion, pop culture, and so on.. but how often do you find yourself caring about the characters? The show lacks the emotional payoffs and character moments The Simpsons have. Seinfeld changed the way we view sitcoms and a show "about nothing".. but they never could pull off the parody, satire, or musical numbers of The Simpsons. I can go on and on with other great sitcoms. The Simpsons used their freedom as a cartoon do do anything and everything they wanted

Break comedy down to it's core elements and what people find funny or look for and you see how great The Simpsons really were.

- Satirizing religion, politics, pop culture, media, etc.

- Parody and pop culture references which surpass or rival any show you can think of.  Not just whole episode parodies like "Cape Feare", but being able to  perfectly throw in allusions and references in any episode at any moment

- Musical numbers. 

- Sight gags

- Catchphrases

- Great core cast of characters. 

- The town of Springfield has provided dozens and dozens of memorable characters 

- Then you can add it's impact and legacy. Without The Simpsons, we probably wouldn't see the same landscape of great cartoons the last two decades. It allowed for cartoons to be taken seriously in the primetime landscape. Ricky Gervais said The Simpsons were a large inspiration for The Office... and that show changed the way we view sitcoms with the large increase in mockumentary style and shows without a laugh track. Obviously it's legacy doesn't change if you find it funny or not, but if we're talking "greatest", then legacy and impact has a lot to do it with.

Last edited:
In its prime, The Simpsons was some of the best satire ever produced.  Matt Groening should have pulled a Seinfeld and pulled the plug on the show once he saw the quality going downhill.  Still one of the greatest shows of all time though, in my opinion.

Simpsons Farewell

Around May 1992, which is when The Cosby Show last aired, The Simpsons' producers added a tiny clip at the end of a rerun of "Three Men and a Comic Book" a few seconds after the credits. In it Homer and Bart are watching TV which shows an image of Cosby with the running time of the show below. This was their conversation:
Homer: "Little seal, you grew up before our eyes."
Bart: "Hey dad, how come they're taking The Cosby Show off the air?"
Homer: "Because Mr. Cosby wanted to stop before the quality suffered."
Bart: "Quality shmuality! If I had a TV show I'd run that sucker down to the ground!"
Homer: "Amen boy! ...Amen!"

http://simpsonswiki.net/wiki/The_Cosby_Show

742 EVERGREEN TERRACE.

:pimp:

Last edited:
To me there are two shows when discussing the Simpsons. The first half of the series and the second half. The first half is classic, no doubt. The second half really seemed to deviate from the the Simpsons of the first half and was mostly garbage imo. So, if you're talking about the series as a whole, then no. If you're talking about the first half, which I consider to be the real Simpsons, then it might not be the greatest but it's up there. You get no points for longevity when the quality suffers.

where would you break that "half" tho lol

some may argue that the "half"way point when things started to go downhill was when Mike Scully and Ian Maxtone Graham came on board as EP's (i think it was late 90's?).

Bottomline, prime Simpsons was THAT good that it makes up for the past years. It was that funny, groundbreaking, and great.

couldnt agree more. I dont really watch much of the new episodes, but the earlier stuff was pure gold. I'm talking about post season 1 (when the animation was shoddy and Homer wasnt quite homer), but before Homer just became a caricature of himself and became very one note.

I'm sure I am in the minority here, but as much as I loved the Simpsons, I still think that King of the Hill is/was the best animated comedy on TV.

King of the hill?! :x

king of the hill was a great show

I dont want to sound pompous, but I get that the show is not for everyone. I think the show is genius. The humor is very smart, but it is packaged in a way where it is often misperceived to be very dumb. For an animated show, the character development is second to none. I feel that they really push the limit without going over the edge of being too fake/caricatures (like 2000's Homer Simpson). Just about everyone on KotH has major comically funny character flaws, but they also have a very real human element to them. I mean just compare recent Homer, who is just a one note idiot that says dumb things and gets himself into stupid situations) vs. a character multi-layered complex character like Dale Gribble/Rusty Shackleford. Its not even close.

Well said, mojo. KoTH was and still is one my favs. But I have to give the nod The Simpsons.

I dont want to sound pompous, but I get that the show is not for everyone. I think the show is genius. The humor is very smart, but it is packaged in a way where it is often misperceived to be very dumb. For an animated show, the character development is second to none. I feel that they really push the limit without going over the edge of being too fake/caricatures (like 2000's Homer Simpson). Just about everyone on KotH has major comically funny character flaws, but they also have a very real human element to them. I mean just compare recent Homer, who is just a one note idiot that says dumb things and gets himself into stupid situations) vs. a character multi-layered complex character like Dale Gribble/Rusty Shackleford. Its not even close.
Backing this. King of the Hill doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

KOTH is :smokin I remember being the only kid 5th grade talking about the show :lol: . The Mexico episode is always great

for everyone saying American Dad, Family Guy, South Park, King of the Hill>>> Simpons should know that if it wasnt for The Simpsons their wouldnt have been a place for those other shows with that said I think The Simpsons is one of the greatest but not THE greatest. If they would of stayed as good as they were in the 90's or if they would of ended in the early 2000's then it would of arguable for the greatest

Bottomline, prime Simpsons was THAT good that it makes up for the past years. It was that funny, groundbreaking, and great.

And somehow this is still an understatement. Just look at the guest stars. You weren't anybody unless you were on the Simpsons and snl back then. It was a huge shock to the culture

Back
Top Bottom