the thread about nothing...

Training somebody at work is very draining. Got to go at it again tomorrow.

I hope she's ready to be mostly on her own by wednesday afternoon because i'm going to the dentist and leaving at 1:00pm idgaf.

tumblr_oklxed7NIn1qehsoxo2_400.gif

So I'm part of this mentorship program
I have a mentee -- he comes from a near poverty family, but got a full scholarship to an elite boarding school
Every time we try to meet up, he suggests going to some pretty expensive spots ($40 ticket to a tourist spot)

I always push back with something cheaper or free, which is very possible in NYC
I don't wanna seem like a douche, but it has to be addressed at some point
Even the program coordinators are against spending $$$ when going out
How do I do this with some tact?

I have a mentee -- he comes from a near poverty family, but got a full scholarship to an elite boarding school
Every time we try to meet up, he suggests going to some pretty expensive spots ($40 ticket to a tourist spot)

I always push back with something cheaper or free, which is very possible in NYC
How many times have you complied and how much have you spent on him so far?

Lol just tell him you don't want to spend money

What's he going to do? Lol

How many times have you complied and how much have you spent on him so far?

I never complied
The last few times we hung out: pizza ($20), museum (free), program potluck (free)

Also, when we were getting pizza, dude tried to order a $20 spaghetti dish (Italian restaurant)
He always mentioned wanting to bring food back to his family (5 brothers/sisters)
I admire that, but not on my dime -- I told him I'm spending time with him, not feeding his family

I just suggested meeting his family this time around
The other mentors usually meet their mentees' families after a few months
But I haven't met his yet

I never complied
The last few times we hung out: pizza ($20), museum (free), program potluck (free)

Also, when we were getting pizza, dude tried to order a $20 spaghetti dish (Italian restaurant)
He always mentioned wanting to bring food back to his family (5 brothers/sisters)
I admire that, but not on my dime -- I told him I'm spending time with him, not feeding his family
Tell him you're an adult with bills, and that you wish this is in your budget but unfortunately it is not and that some day he will understand first hand. You are paying out of your own pocket, the program is not subsidizing this.

I never complied

I just suggested meeting his family this time around
The other mentors usually meet their mentees' families after a few months
But I haven't met his yet

Quite sure its an abundance of food stamps in that household. Don't get got

Back
Top Bottom