the thread about nothing...

tenor.gif

i remember you saying you were from the city or the town but regardless our public school systems is a ****ing joke. do you mind sharing which district you work in?

couldn't agree more. i did my k-12 schooling in Oakland. to this day, i appreciate what it taught me and the community i built but 20 years later, it's a mess in terms of student outcomes. there's a lot that the school district could be doing to improve, but i think the issues of the school system are a symptom of the divestment from community in general and the deterioration of neighborhoods. Oakland's notorious for overspending on its police budget while doing nothing to address the root causes of violence and crime (poverty, high unemployment, youth not having access job training or health clinics)

i started teaching in oakland, then transitioned to a school out in SF, before coming back to Oakland. been thinking about moving to a different part of CA or even somewhere in the PNW but don't even know what an out of state move would entail

Anyone have other food suggestions to push chip cravings aside?

I'm a terrible late night snacker. i'm guilty of just continuously reaching into a bag of chips and before i know it i've crushed half a bag of doritos and feeling like ****. every night, it's like clockwork.

to satisfy that fix, i've switched to trader joes white cheddar popcorn and/or their herb seasoned popcorn. it does the trick for me. i'll get a measuring spoon and scoop out two servings worth of popcorn. i'll also have a small bottle of sparkling water. that **** hits the spot. in total it's about 300 calories with only about 6 or 7% of your daily intake of saturated fats. generally, i shouldn't be eating this late but I know trying to quit cold turkey isn't gonna work for me.

couldn't agree more. i did my k-12 schooling in Oakland. to this day, i appreciate what it taught me and the community i built but 20 years later, it's a mess in terms of student outcomes. there's a lot that the school district could be doing to improve, but i think the issues of the school system are a symptom of the divestment from community in general and the deterioration of neighborhoods. Oakland's notorious for overspending on its police budget while doing nothing to address the root causes of violence and crime (poverty, high unemployment, youth not having access job training or health clinics)

i started teaching in oakland, then transitioned to a school out in SF, before coming back to Oakland. been thinking about moving to a different part of CA or even somewhere in the PNW but don't even know what an out of state move would entail

how do you feel about charter schools in general?

Back
Top Bottom