the thread about nothing...

m19124101124_6 (1).jpg

Im a city boy I don't do outside overnight. That sounds dope tho. If i ever won the powerball id go see the Aurora borealis. If you got land would you do a tiny house or do it legit?

Probably start small and live as modest as possible. Less junk, more things strictly for survival. Then maybe upgrade

I reached out to the old farmer again who rents my inherited piece of farmland and exploited a loophole in the law to make the rent contract 40kg of potatoes/year until he dies.
Tried to convince him one again to at least pay me in some amount of money instead of the annual massive load of potatoes, most of which I have to give away to locals because they'd otherwise get spoiled by the time I could finish such an amount.

Guy just laughs on the phone and says "you're well aware of the legal loophole that allowed me to establish this joke of a rent agreement without anything you can do about it unless I agree."
"So the truth is, I really don't care. You're getting potatoes until the day I drop dead."
Then he hung up.

The loophole is basically that when my dad died and I became the owner, a court had to re-approve the terms of the rent agreement because there was no written agreement. Because of that lack of a written agreement, the loophole is that the farmer could now legally make up whatever terms of the agreement he wants without any input from me, the owner. So he told court that the agreement had always been 40kg/potatoes per year for an indefinite period of time. In other words until he dies. The court was very much aware that the farmland rent loophole was being exploited but ultimately they're forced to approve it.
This loophole only exists for farmland rent agreements, it is a complete farce.

He's still out there farming while already being past retirement age so I don't see him retiring any time soon either, if ever.

Last edited:
Definitely rinse that toothbrush before you use it...and close the lid before you flush.

Toilet plume sounds like it should be the most popular DIY trend on Pinterest. Adorn that plain ol’ toilet with a collection of decorative feathers for an elevated pooping experience! Unfortunately, the actual definition of toilet plume is far less delightful.

Toilet plume is a term for what happens when the force of flushing sprays microscopic particles of pee, poop, and whatever else is in the bowl into the air. “‘[This plume] is easily transmitted in a wide range of air space when you flush the toilet,” Kelly Reynolds, Ph.D., an associate professor of environmental and occupational health at the University of Arizona who has studied toilet plume, tells SELF.

Unfortunately there’s not a wealth of research about exactly how far toilet plume can reach. One 2005 study in the Journal of Applied Microbiology found that microorganisms reached a vertical height of 2.7 feet after a toilet was flushed, but other information is scant. In general, Reynolds says the microbiology community’s consensus is that the spray can reach around six feet away from the toilet. That’s by no means a proven number, and a lot more research needs to be done to cement just how far toilet plume can go.

The absence of hard numbers doesn’t negate the fact that toilet plume is a thing, though. Unless you’re lucky enough to have a palatial bathroom, flushing the toilet can cover various objects—we’re talking sink tops, door handles, and even your toothbrush—in...stuff. Cue internal screaming.

So, what does science have to say about whether toilet plume can make you sick? A 2015 review published in the American Journal of Infection Control analyzed various small studies in which researchers purposefully put certain pathogens in a toilet, flushed, and then monitored how far they went and how long they lingered. The kinds of bacteria they included can often be found in the human intestines, then come out in poop or vomit and make you sick when ingested.

One study found that E. coli, which can cause diarrhea and vomiting, lingered in the air for up to four to six hours after flushing. Another determined that salmonella, which can cause similar symptoms, lingered in the toilet bowl for 50 days after it was put in there, got aerosolized every time people flushed, and contaminated surfaces like the toilet flusher and door handle. Still another found that Clostridium difficile, which can cause fever, diarrhea, stomach pain, or even a life-threatening infection, hung out in the air above the toilet for up to 90 minutes after flushing.

Definitely rinse that toothbrush before you use it...and close the lid before you flush.

Toilet plume sounds like it should be the most popular DIY trend on Pinterest. Adorn that plain ol’ toilet with a collection of decorative feathers for an elevated pooping experience! Unfortunately, the actual definition of toilet plume is far less delightful.

Toilet plume is a term for what happens when the force of flushing sprays microscopic particles of pee, poop, and whatever else is in the bowl into the air. “‘[This plume] is easily transmitted in a wide range of air space when you flush the toilet,” Kelly Reynolds, Ph.D., an associate professor of environmental and occupational health at the University of Arizona who has studied toilet plume, tells SELF.

Unfortunately there’s not a wealth of research about exactly how far toilet plume can reach. One 2005 study in the Journal of Applied Microbiology found that microorganisms reached a vertical height of 2.7 feet after a toilet was flushed, but other information is scant. In general, Reynolds says the microbiology community’s consensus is that the spray can reach around six feet away from the toilet. That’s by no means a proven number, and a lot more research needs to be done to cement just how far toilet plume can go.

The absence of hard numbers doesn’t negate the fact that toilet plume is a thing, though. Unless you’re lucky enough to have a palatial bathroom, flushing the toilet can cover various objects—we’re talking sink tops, door handles, and even your toothbrush—in...stuff. Cue internal screaming.

So, what does science have to say about whether toilet plume can make you sick? A 2015 review published in the American Journal of Infection Control analyzed various small studies in which researchers purposefully put certain pathogens in a toilet, flushed, and then monitored how far they went and how long they lingered. The kinds of bacteria they included can often be found in the human intestines, then come out in poop or vomit and make you sick when ingested.

One study found that E. coli, which can cause diarrhea and vomiting, lingered in the air for up to four to six hours after flushing. Another determined that salmonella, which can cause similar symptoms, lingered in the toilet bowl for 50 days after it was put in there, got aerosolized every time people flushed, and contaminated surfaces like the toilet flusher and door handle. Still another found that Clostridium difficile, which can cause fever, diarrhea, stomach pain, or even a life-threatening infection, hung out in the air above the toilet for up to 90 minutes after flushing.
Lid-Closed every time before flushing. I am extremely conscientious of this.

Even though the research is inconclusive in terms of distance, the fact that the particles can travel at all is enough to make me never ever flush the toilet without closing the lid first.

Back
Top Bottom