the thread about nothing...

I know everyone loves that show, I tried and it just wasn't that funny to me :smh: didn't hold a candle to Curb imo

They're not aiming for the same kind of things. Curb is basically a direct line into Larry David's brain.. in all his eccentricities and craziness.. and it's usually hilarious. Rarely does he aim to capture a fraction of what Louis CK reaches for in his show. Louie can give you great stories about being a father, dating, reconnecting with lost friends, the burden of family, just to name a few.. and he can do it in a funny way along with brutal honesty. Visually it's a far more striking show and Curb doesn't come close to the cinematography and editing that Louie does each episode. Of course, Curb doesn't try to do that, so that's why I don't think they're comparable.

Louie could basically be several short films that make up a big anthology of work. It's funny and sad.. it's absurd and realistic.. it's honest.. it can give you a lot and does it all in a really polished way.

Don't get me wrong, Curb is one of my favorite comedies on TV.. but it's basically a 30 minute trip into how Larry David views the world. And I love it, but it's not the same as a show like Louie. Thankfully, there isn't a shortage of great comedies with equally impressive variety. 30 Rock, Archer, Community, Happy Endings, Parks and Recreation, Bob's Burgers, Louie, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I'm sure I'm missing some too.

"da moral fabric of a nation is a country's swag."
8a6268766495d7f3400b9cf72a7836525abbba47_r.gif
my vote for NT quote of the year. I was dying when I read that.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Who said this? ninja?
duh da

In regards to Louie: I watched the first episode and most of the jokes in that episode were from his stand up. Which I've seen almost if not all of his stand up. When the characters would set up the premise for a joke I knew the punchline. Does the show just insert Louie's stand up into a real life setting?

just watched 'The Bank Job'. anyone got any other heist films to reccomend?

In no particular order:

Heat, Inception, Italian Job, Inside Man, Le Samourai (french), the good the bad and the ugly, The Town, Goodfellas, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Die Hard, Die Hard 2, The Lookout (must see)...

Was going to recommend that...

Never seen Inception though...didn't even know it was about a heist :wow: Need to find it on On Demand or something.

Last edited:
I know everyone loves that show, I tried and it just wasn't that funny to me :smh: didn't hold a candle to Curb imo

They're not aiming for the same kind of things. Curb is basically a direct line into Larry David's brain.. in all his eccentricities and craziness.. and it's usually hilarious. Rarely does he aim to capture a fraction of what Louis CK reaches for in his show. Louie can give you great stories about being a father, dating, reconnecting with lost friends, the burden of family, just to name a few.. and he can do it in a funny way along with brutal honesty. Visually it's a far more striking show and Curb doesn't come close to the cinematography and editing that Louie does each episode. Of course, Curb doesn't try to do that, so that's why I don't think they're comparable.

Louie could basically be several short films that make up a big anthology of work. It's funny and sad.. it's absurd and realistic.. it's honest.. it can give you a lot and does it all in a really polished way.

Don't get me wrong, Curb is one of my favorite comedies on TV.. but it's basically a 30 minute trip into how Larry David views the world. And I love it, but it's not the same as a show like Louie. Thankfully, there isn't a shortage of great comedies with equally impressive variety. 30 Rock, Archer, Community, Happy Endings, Parks and Recreation, Bob's Burgers, Louie, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I'm sure I'm missing some too.

That's a great description of the differences, and granted I only watched the pilot and 2nd episodes...but since I just don't really vibe with his stand up routines or anything maybe I'm using that as bias, I'll give it another shot though eventually b/c I think I went into it expecting a different type show, thanks for the insight bro :smokin

duh da

In regards to Louie: I watched the first episode and most of the jokes in that episode were from his stand up. Which I've seen almost if not all of his stand up. When the characters would set up the premise for a joke I knew the punchline. Does the show just insert Louie's stand up into a real life setting?

Nope, not even close. Watch more than the first episode.

That's a great description of the differences, and granted I only watched the pilot and 2nd episodes...but since I just don't really vibe with his stand up routines or anything maybe I'm using that as bias, I'll give it another shot though eventually b/c I think I went into it expecting a different type show, thanks for the insight bro :smokin

If you don't like his stand up, then you probably wouldn't like his show. You basically have to go into each episode and say "I'll trust whatever he does for the next 22 minutes". Especially during the brutally awkward and cringeworthy moments that you just want to end.. usually the payoff is worth it. Thankfully, he'll usually split the episode up into two different stories/plots, so if you're not feeling one thing it might be better in the next one.

If you only watch a few, my favorites are

Poker
Travel Day/South
Dogpound
Gym
Night Out
Pregnant
Bummer/Blueberries
Country Drive
Oh, Louie/Tickets
Halloween
Duckling

I watch exclusively for his youngest daughter, she has lulz for days...

'Who told the gorilla that he couldn't go to the ballet'?

Just the people in charge of that decision.

She was amazing in the Halloween episode with the bullies.. plus her "I'm bored" cries in the car :lol:

If you don't like his stand up, then you probably wouldn't like his show. You basically have to go into each episode and say "I'll trust whatever he does for the next 22 minutes". Especially during the brutally awkward and cringeworthy moments that you just want to end.. usually the payoff is worth it. Thankfully, he'll usually split the episode up into two different stories/plots, so if you're not feeling one thing it might be better in the next one.

Poker
Travel Day/South
Dogpound
Gym
Night Out
Pregnant
Bummer/Blueberries
Country Drive
Oh, Louie/Tickets
Halloween
Duckling

Thanks, I'll check some of those out then and see if my opinion changes somewhat :lol:

Poker
Travel Day/South
Dogpound
Gym
Night Out
Pregnant
Bummer/Blueberries
Country Drive
Oh, Louie/Tickets
Halloween
Duckling

Telling Jokes/Set Up had me like :rolleyes til old girl ducked his sick them snuffed him for not returning the favor :lol:. the payoff was worth it.

I'm slowly started to dress more and more like a hipster.
Then again it's a good thing, I wear more fitted clothes and people tell me I've been losing weight so that's always a great feeling :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom