The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

How can you tell if a rolex is legit? What normally comes with it? Box/case?

On top of what Mr. Poop above me said, the genuine boxes and manuals can easily be bought as well, so you better watch out for that. Over here, the RSC charges a fee to authenticate it, but only does it verbally and not issue you a certificate of authenticity. You really have to buy the seller... there's a reason people keep saying that.

Only way to really authenticate a Rolex is to take it to a service centre and have them open up the case to inspect the movement.

The best way to authenticate a Rolex is to buy one from an authorized retailer. :wink:

Anyway I bought another Movado last week to go with my C&G 11s... Matte Black Sapphire. Been a min since I got an all black watch. I think I need a gunmetal grey one next.

Attachments

• 20180525_092138.jpg
    20180525_092138.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 26
IMG_20180512_175239.jpg

Got my 1st IWC a couple weeks back. Had to get the longer band and deployment clasp, but its def worth it.

Congrats, on the LPP. Looks awesome! Wear it in good health. :pimp:

Went to my AD this weekend to see the 150th Anniversary LE sibling of Pilot Chrono Gorgeous, but ultimately, I passed on it. Would've been a nice daily piece, but I reckon it will just be another piece for me to eventually flip. :lol:
33675029_10155926388078736_8199553160356823040_n.jpg

Congrats, on the LPP. Looks awesome! Wear it in good health. :pimp:

Went to my AD this weekend to see the 150th Anniversary LE sibling of Pilot Chrono Gorgeous, but ultimately, I passed on it. Would've been a nice daily piece, but I reckon it will just be another piece for me to eventually flip. :lol:
33675029_10155926388078736_8199553160356823040_n.jpg

Thank you. I was thinking about that one as well. Really liked it but ultimately I went with the other. The lume on it is a nice touch also

awesome pilot, really hate it that i can't wear IWC bigger offerings though

i was actually looking at the Mark XVIII Heritage Titanium a few months back
925933_mrp_fr_xl.jpg

awesome pilot, really hate it that i can't wear IWC bigger offerings though
They don't look right to you on your wrist? Too big and bulky?

Unfortunately, to me, only 43mm and up looks right on me. Maybe 42. I really wanted the portuguese chronograph. That was the watch that got me on IWCs, but I just can't do 40.9

definitely too big for my puny wrist

i have a portuguese chrono and that one almost feels like a captain america shield on my wrist, i love it but the almost non-exitent bezel makes it bigger than it is

my range is 36mm to 38mm, maybe 40mm max so the port chrono is really right there on the edge

and that is also why despite some here not being a fan of the daytona being smaller, it actually works better for me

same reason panerai, blancpain and breitling are practically off my list

Funny you mention that because the next one I'm eyeing is the breitling navitimer. But I totally understand. Same reason why most rolex watches are a non starter outside the yachtmaster II and the deepsea. But I'm def looking at the breitling for next yr or the Bremont AL-T1-Z. Hoping to come across the iwc Portuguese hand wound at some point.

Been a while since I have browsed this thread and love that people are finally buying smart reputable brands.

A lot of very nice Rolex pickups, but I must be in the minority on the current value of Rolex pieces. I worry that at some point there will be no way for them to retain value at previous levels if people are paying $10k+ for a Sub. I mean for a company that sells over a million watches a year it's amazing that the demand is still there.

I think at this point I would almost rather go with a brand new Black Bay and spend the other $7k on a couple other pieces.

Been a while since I have browsed this thread and love that people are finally buying smart reputable brands.

A lot of very nice Rolex pickups, but I must be in the minority on the current value of Rolex pieces. I worry that at some point there will be no way for them to retain value at previous levels if people are paying $10k+ for a Sub. I mean for a company that sells over a million watches a year it's amazing that the demand is still there.

I think at this point I would almost rather go with a brand new Black Bay and spend the other $7k on a couple other pieces.

It’s tough to say, everything is pure speculation; but I’m still seeing no date sub c’s around retail or less. Only modern one i see that’s generously over retail is the hulk.

it's alright, just put your name on the list for a ceramic daytona or ss skydweller and you'd have 10 years to save up for it :lol:

all jokes aside, the OP39 is just super clean, i love my IWC Spitfire but this would have been a very heavy contender had it existed back then

Rolex-LA-Preview-2018-014.jpg

^ Agreed. Nice daily piece.

Gave up on Rolex altogether now (and to a certain extent, Patek); lots of other nice pieces out there. Still keeping my SubC date as the daily piece though. Though I'm thinking about getting rid of it and getting a 15400. :lol:

Anyway, went ahead and blew up part of my collection. Working towards a deal for a grail piece. We'll see how it goes.

you really shouldn't trust your gut :lol:

too much money on the line

i've also thought about moving on from Rolex but it's just so iconic amazing in person, when i see it on someones wrist, it just always looks good

i think for the most part, i have pieces that will age well and are for keeps and I think I am good on that end because I think the Skydwellers just gon' be too big for my wrist and that's really that only thing that's piqued my interest with Rolex

i've also considered buying cheaper pieces here and there but then i also feel like i should focus on getting bigger and better purchases

gonna be a b*tch to find especially since I am aiming for retail but for now it might be 3711 or bust for me

unfortunately, a quick visit to the ad and all of that could change :lol:

Word. I can probably pick up an Explorer I from the amount I've lost from trusting my gut too much. :rofl: Especially with this last deal. Resale is pretty soft for most of the brands out there at the moment. On the other hand, hyped pieces' prices have gone through the roof! I think I just saw a Speedmaster Snoopy closing in on Patek retail the other night. Even that new steel jubilee Pepsi! Just crazy. :wow: We really are getting conditioned to expect to pay retail nowadays.

I'll probably never let go of my Submariner. Got it in a condition that's more banged up than it will ever see in my usage for almost retail, but I really don't mind that much at this point. That just means I can afford to not be too careful with it. It just simply works. Funny thing is, while Rolex looks good, most of the time I chat up who wear Submariners aren't really into watches! :lol:

Avoiding my AD for a while... still hoping they would call though! :lol:

We really are getting conditioned to expect to pay retail nowadays.

it's insane but browsing on NT alone and threads for the hyped shoes, it is insane that it's not that people are conditioned to pay retail but also to pay resell

i don't know, maybe it's just me but when I go to threads like OW x Nike or Yeezy and people are non-nonchalantly paying $500+ over retail on some shoes like it's the norm and that's before the shoe even comes out and they have a chance at retail

it's fascinating that they speak of it like it's the norm and for others to even find it a good deal

I get it the resell is there but it's still kind of crazy to me, it probably has been going on for a while now and I am just not in that reselling world but it's still eye opening just because we buy so much shoes in comparison to anything else, like some of those guys have everything from the OW collab

Wonder what your guys' thoughts are on this.

I have had an SS Daytona for awhile. Got it preowned (but paid retail) back in 2012. The watch itself is a 2009 so it's considered modern as far as Daytonas go. It's been sitting for awhile in my safe just holding it's value. Now, for some reason my BLNR has stopped keeping time after sitting for a few hours. I literally wear it every day but I wake up and the watch is dead and a few hours behind. Thankfully I have the 5 year warranty and it will be getting repaired.

So I looked through my safe for something I didn't mind beating up and found the old Daytona. I am in love with the new Oysterflex WG Daytonas, but I ended up creating something that may just hold me off from them indefinitely. Bought custom endlinks, black ceramic bezel (aftermarket but extremely high quality) and a rubber strap. Ended up with this:

IMG_3261.jpg

Back
Top Bottom