The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

i do think there was/is a shortage but not to the extent that is completely dry but that also doesnt mean the ad's weren't hoarding and only selling them to their big clients or bundling it up to make more $$$ out of you

bigger stores likely has any models you want in their safe but the smaller ones might also have an empty one

the thing is, its really difficult to tell because even if you think your salesperson is trustworthy and your best friend, they are still there to make as much $$$ as possible out of you

that’s not a shortage. That’s artificial scarcity. A shortage means Rolex makes less than they did previously since they are a trust and don’t report. Financials show the amount made. DavidSW. Largest grey seller broke it down last year.
if ADs get the same amount in and hold it for VIPs then they are creating scarcity. Pre 2014 you could get 10% off sports models...

agree with your AD observation. I’m my travels ADs now sell to locals
Again. Check the Hermès model.

After looking around I decided I want to pay the extra for a new DJ2 but how come they're so much more than a new DJ41.

The DJ2's I found new are close to $13k whereas I could get a new DJ41 for about retail or even a little less

Definitely go with the DJ2, that bigger bezel is nice. I was on the fence for a while between which one to go with and I went with the DJ2 and I'm happy I did.

The DJ 2 will probably be worth more in the future as well.

20191129_092619.jpg

i do think there was/is a shortage but not to the extent that is completely dry but that also doesnt mean the ad's weren't hoarding and only selling them to their big clients or bundling it up to make more $$$ out of you

bigger stores likely has any models you want in their safe but the smaller ones might also have an empty one

the thing is, its really difficult to tell because even if you think your salesperson is trustworthy and your best friend, they are still there to make as much $$$ as possible out of you
See I’ve never bought one or know how it works but an AD can charge over retail!?

How much commission does an AD make of a Rolex purchase?

See I’ve never bought one or know how it works but an AD can charge over retail!?

they shouldnt and thats why they sell to grey market because some of them do pay more since some of them they can sell for $10k more than retail after whatever they paid

ive always heard ~33% is the dealers margin on rolexes

they shouldnt and thats why they sell to grey market because some of them do pay more since some of them they can sell for $10k more than retail after whatever they paid

ive always heard ~33% is the dealers margin on rolexes

I don’t know margins but I’ve heard ~30% as well.
my AD still gives 15% off for precious metal and 18% cash. Rolex is a mass produced watch. It’s a game.
patek only makes x number of watches and doesn’t increment Increase. Been waiting on a 5167A for a year.

at this point. With the price increase, folks are going to move to omega and Tudor (which is what Rolex is angling anyway) even Tudor is getting a 3% increase.

id be curious if people really moves to omega, its always been an alternative but i am not sure the price increase is going to change things much

i havent looked at the exact increase but a $1k increase on a daytona for example isnt going to turn people off much when it still selling for ~$20k+ outside of ads

many has already moved to tudor too hence those above retail resale on some pieces too though its mostly only til the market got flooded again and stock started catching up to demand

Tudor is a bargain for what you get. Checked out the p01 over the weekend and almost walked out with the bb58 but had to say no. The p01 is interesting but you need big wrists for it.

Attachments

• DE5F58F5-2C63-41B7-929B-4D466116D30E.jpeg
    DE5F58F5-2C63-41B7-929B-4D466116D30E.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 229
Aren’t they basically made by rolex?! I haven’t seen anywhere near me advertise that they sell them, id love to check them out in person.

wanna get a watch soon, migjt go for Tudor and wait til I finish school and maybe at that time as a present to myself grab a rolex and prob be easier to grab a model in store for retail :lol:

Rolex owns Tudor and years ago shared movements and parts. A Tudor sub goes for more than a 14060.
Now Tudor is aimed at a younger generation. In house movements as of a few years ago. You can snag a used heritage black bay for under $1,600 doing a search on watch recon

I can get the Tudor gmt 20% off (on a nato strap) for those interested. AD offers it once a year. Next up would be in March - any Tudor or omega or breitling.
good watch. But I’ll stick to my explorer for beater purposes

Need full metal bracket. The black bay heritage is nice, I want the black one but kinda dislike the goldish hits in the dial

I been thinking about that bb58 since I had it on this weekend. Might go back after Christmas to see if it’s still there

I have a hodinkee strap I really like that i bought because someone in here recommended it. They r pricey though.

Back
Top Bottom