The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

yah im not gon be able to get anything anytime soon, i just dont get it, unemployment rate is up, economies on the sh*thole and everythings just up

even the gold models, which ADs could barely give away before are going above retail like the everose yachtmaster, just a year ago it was going for at least $2k-$3k below brand new but now they're being sold at $5k above

:smh:

Yup, bought it in 2019.

IMG-6267.JPG

Yeah, regretting not grabbing black dial Daytona-C for $17k (naked), rose gold YM40 on rubber for $17k (naked), gold Submariner black dial (full set for $25k), etc. But that's life.

I have completely given up on my dream of owning a Rolex. I will forever regret not buying back in the late 90's when a sub could be had for under $4k brand new.

I think nowadays we have too many other amazing pieces available for way less money so it makes it really tough to ever think I will spend $12k on a Datejust 41. I'm thinking a nice Tudor will suit me just fine at this point.

Getting any type of desirable Rolex at the moment is just a big waiting game and may be a bit of luck sprinkled in there. Unless you have an amazing relationship with your AD, which the average person doesn't.

I'm feeling grand seiko right now.

I really like this one but wish it had gold on the bracelet too. Otherwise it's too expensive for just gold on the dial and bezel
Grand-Seiko-Spring-Drive-GMT-SBGE248-2.jpeg

Other ones I like are these two
2020-Grand-Seiko-Sport-GMT-Spring-Drive-Blue-SBGE255-1.jpg

SBGJ237-grandseiko-hero.jpg

And they're not too expensive compared to Rolex

I have completely given up on my dream of owning a Rolex. I will forever regret not buying back in the late 90's when a sub could be had for under $4k brand new.

I think nowadays we have too many other amazing pieces available for way less money so it makes it really tough to ever think I will spend $12k on a Datejust 41. I'm thinking a nice Tudor will suit me just fine at this point.

Don't give up and don't settle for a Tudor if you really want a Rolex, otherwise you'll end up with a Rolex and a Tudor that you don't wear anymore because you finally got the Rolex that you really wanted. Just stack coins, invest, and keep investing until you can comfortably afford to spend $12k on a watch.

37mm or 40mm?

i see that there might be more leeway on discount for the 37mm if you can find one

really need to scratch the blk & rose gld itch

Just got offered the ever rose ym. Considering trading/selling my Batman for it.

I don’t know what other watches You have in your collection but if you have any other steel sports models, I’d trade/sell the batman and diversify with that yachtmaster. It’s beautiful in person.

It’s the 126655 brand new from a high volume local AD but not one I have a history with. The AD I usually buy from hasn’t been able to get one for me

I don’t know what other watches You have in your collection but if you have any other steel sports models, I’d trade/sell the batman and diversify with that yachtmaster. It’s beautiful in person.
I’ve got a Batman and hulk. Batman was my first but I wore the hulk for the birth of my son. Hulk will be his one day so it’s not going anywhere for any price.

How much of a deposit do AD's require to get ones name on a list for rolex ? Or is it shady for them to even require that?

not even interested in a sub, looking for more of an explorer 2 , DJ41, daytona or GMT for msrp

Last edited:
Real talk

Unless you're in it for the long haul, forget getting any hot Rolex at retail.

You might find an AD that MIGHT take a deposit for an E2 that you'll wait atleast half a year for. E2's are probably at the bottom of the ladder but hard to get simply because its what everyone thinks is the easy model to get. Get on a list now and maybe you even get bumped up when the model gets its inevitable refresh next year.

But pretty much every AD will laugh you out the door re: Daytona or GMT. They are way more desired than a Sub. in fact, the hoops to jump through for a sub are fairly pedestrian in comparison. You can fully expect to wait anywhere between 2-4 years for a chance at one - and that's after you've established a relationship and built up a purchase history (depending on where you live Im talking minimum 5 figures spend, 6-7 in major metro areas). My AD won't even let you say the words rolex list until you've purchased 2 JLCs, omegas, tudors, panerais or cartiers from them.

If you've gotta have it, grey is honestly the only way you'll get something on your own terms (timing, etc).
There's some luck involved and its not unheard of for someone to get lucky (with a GMT or Sub, literally never with a Daytona) but be real with yourself.

How much of a deposit do AD's require to get ones name on a list for rolex ? Or is it shady for them to even require that?

not even interested in a sub, looking for more of an explorer 2 , DJ41, daytona or GMT for msrp
I’ve had an AD request a refundable 1k for a sub last year

almost did it but he wouldn’t give me even a guarantee or timeline

now retail has gone up and they’ve gotten even harder to get, oh well

I have 20% down for an explorer 1 right now. Not impossible to usually find. Hope it comes soon. Fully refundable deposit.
When I went they said I can put 20% down for Explorer 1, Explorer 2, Yachtmaster 40 or Milgauss. Hopefully able to graduate to other models after purchasing 1-2 of these. I’ll probably put a deposit for polar explorer 2 once I get the 1.

I might inquire for this one:

Always love Arabic dial - Rolex Oyster Perpetual DateJust 36mm Stainless Steel - Fluted Bezel (Black and Blue)

Dealer wants $7.8 - I believe this the 2011 model. Think it’s not a bad price. Opinion on pricing.

256CE127-605B-42DF-BE6F-B2B94F351A27.jpeg

Last edited:
You guys think we’ll see a “Coke” GMT in 2021?

Define “see” haha ... we certainly won’t be able to buy it.
No but really, I’d love to see that but it’ll be on a jubilee unfortunately. I prefer GMTs on oyster.
Hopefully they’ll use a deeper red and not the pinkish red used on the Pepsi.

I might inquire for this one:

Always love Arabic dial - Rolex Oyster Perpetual DateJust 36mm Stainless Steel - Fluted Bezel (Black and Blue)

Dealer wants $7.8 - I believe this the 2011 model. Think it’s not a bad price. Opinion on pricing.

256CE127-605B-42DF-BE6F-B2B94F351A27.jpeg

too much going on

Back
Top Bottom