The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

very nice

omega needs to stop being stubborn and bring back more watches to 36mm especially the seamaster and in white

WSJ has some mediocre content (not including the editorials, which are just plain trash).

After months of ogling, I finally got myself the Mark XX. Sold off a few older pieces to facilitate it and now I’m set for a few years.

IMG_1884.jpeg

The bracelet on this is by far the best I’ve ever had. May put it on a nato or leather strap for the summer though. Here’s a couple flicks experimenting with some diff straps I have laying around -

IMG_1900.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1903.jpeg

Anyone else change up the straps on their watches frequently?

WSJ has some mediocre content (not including the editorials, which are just plain trash).

After months of ogling, I finally got myself the Mark XX. Sold off a few older pieces to facilitate it and now I’m set for a few years.

IMG_1884.jpeg

The bracelet on this is by far the best I’ve ever had. May put it on a nato or leather strap for the summer though. Here’s a couple flicks experimenting with some diff straps I have laying around -

IMG_1900.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1903.jpeg

Anyone else change up the straps on their watches frequently?

very nice congrats

i have this thing of preserving the og strap so i almost always change it right away and stash the og strap in the watchbox, its not the same with the bracelets though, only straps

the mark xx works with plenty of straps

enjoy

I want to get into having a few watches that are nice and trendy/worth it to own long term. Aside from Rolexes, what are some other brands under 15k that are worth collecting? I’ve got a couple of Tissots which are good everyday watches, but looking for that next level of piece to collect.

I want to get into having a few watches that are nice and trendy/worth it to own long term. Aside from Rolexes, what are some other brands under 15k that are worth collecting? I’ve got a couple of Tissots which are good everyday watches, but looking for that next level of piece to collect.

$15K you have A LOT to choose from. You probably need to provide a little more info/criteria.

Last edited:

a budget of $15k leaves you with a vast list of options. what style are you looking for? do you care about value retention? are you looking at a potential "investment" piece? if you can determine what you're looking for in the piece, the group can provide guidance/make suggestions.

Well anything in the 5-15k range, investment retention becomes a big factor but overall just looking for something that’s good value, has a reputable brand value (don’t want to get Michael kors’d) and is trendy/dope.

I was looking through this list and there’s a lot of pieces that visually are appealing but want to be more informed on the brands as a whole first

Last edited:
Well anything in the 5-15k range, investment retention becomes a big factor but overall just looking for something that’s good value, has a reputable brand value (don’t want to get Michael kors’d) and is trendy/dope.

That's such a huge range.
Do you want a diver, pilot, field, etc.
What type of movement?
Any certain type of metal/color combo?
Size?
Date, day, neither?
What kind of indices do you like?
There's way too many options and features to just pick one watch without narrowing it down. If you're spending that type of money on a timepiece should definitely be picky.

I was looking through this list and there’s a lot of pieces that visually are appealing but want to be more informed on the brands as a whole first

If thats your price range and investment retention is important just go with Rolex. You can probably get 2 good (although used) watches for 15k

Anything else you buy at retail in that range will instantly drop in value as soon as you leave the store.

Yeah Rolex is def gonna be the purchase at that higher end of the spectrum but I’m also looking for something really in the 1-7k range for more everyday use. Divers are nice. Preferably automatic movement. Really just open to anything beautiful tbh

for value retention, rolex is the only one that really fits that budget

brands i see that isnt losing as much as others are tudor and cartier

for divers, check out tudor pelagos39 if you want a titanium diver, the black bay 54 if you want a more vintage look and feel (it is 37mm) or the black bay 58, if you got a bigger wrist the regular pelagos is a good option... all for under $5k and while it wont appreciate in price, i feel like its better at retaining value than other brands

heres some pics since i havent really posted any here in a while

pelagos39
8EE51092-E48B-46CC-B45A-9463EC0CCCA0.jpeg

917E46D7-762A-4C16-AFDE-FE04588E0214.jpeg

black bay 54
508EC968-D7AA-4CBF-83FF-80A5870AFDD6.jpeg

black bay 58s
EEFF6399-F239-45D5-8EEA-BA478D9796D7.jpeg

0E8B2FAB-4589-4596-917B-A75DFF972BBD.jpeg

but if you just want a good daily, the rolex 36 (or 40mm if you got a bigger wrist) is just the perfect go anywhere, do anything watch
7C7AE22E-4FE2-4DE3-B4A6-D48F8D4BE782.jpeg

I was looking at that Tudor, it’s one of my favorites so far and at 4k I can live with it not retaining value as much. Where do you guys recommend buying watches?

I was looking at that Tudor, it’s one of my favorites so far and at 4k I can live with it not retaining value as much. Where do you guys recommend buying watches?

got to an AD so you can try them on to make sure what works for you

if you buy from the AD, that could also start a relationship to be considered for a rolex down the line

if you want to get them at a discount, still try it out at an AD and then go grey market like jomashop or one of the vendors on facebook or numerous forums that has a sales section

Yeah Rolex is def gonna be the purchase at that higher end of the spectrum but I’m also looking for something really in the 1-7k range for more everyday use. Divers are nice. Preferably automatic movement. Really just open to anything beautiful tbh

Given these constraints, I think a Black Bay 58 is gonna be your best bet.

Like rfx said though, go find an AD and try some on to see what you like on the wrist.

Rolex is probably the only one that will retain its retail value, but not quite as accessible. And if you’re really buying to wear, I’d still recommend trying things on to get something that you actually like, rather than just something you can sell later on.

if you dont want to deal with facebook, chrono24 is a good option, you can find plenty of grey market and authorize dealers there selling new and used watches

your payment is held on escrow until the transaction is complete and both parties are satisfied then its released to the seller i believe

That’s awesome, thanks guys. Will be in touch with some ideas as I see more of what I like.

How do you guys feel about tags and other brands in that 1-3k range?

Back
Top Bottom