The Tyler Perry conundrum

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Just cuz it's made by a black person, it doesn't have to be about black people.
or the black experience....

nor SPECIFICALLY FOR black people, at that.

my dude tristan....
pimp.gif

how tarentino make jackie brown tho?

jackie brown !$*+* on tyler perry's entire career.

AS A BLACK HERO MOVIE...

tarentino wrote a black female hero better than tyler perry could dream of....

oops, but he put pam grier and samuel jackson in it...dammit....he didn't give work to some marginal black actor that noone even WANTS to see...

Good point.

Can't stand TP's movies/shows or his demographic audience. Ignorance breeds ignorance.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Just cuz it's made by a black person, it doesn't have to be about black people.
or the black experience....

nor SPECIFICALLY FOR black people, at that.

my dude tristan....
pimp.gif

how tarentino make jackie brown tho?

jackie brown !$*+* on tyler perry's entire career.

AS A BLACK HERO MOVIE...

tarentino wrote a black female hero better than tyler perry could dream of....

oops, but he put pam grier and samuel jackson in it...dammit....he didn't give work to some marginal black actor that noone even WANTS to see...

Good point.

Can't stand TP's movies/shows or his demographic audience. Ignorance breeds ignorance.

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

Nobody has even spoken about the plots of any of the movies.

Black people can't even be funny anymore?
but funny to who....and in what way?

universally funny?

funny to blacks one way but funny to whites another way?

again, see dave chappelle. while universally funny....he felt as if white america was finding humor in a negative way.....he wasn't able to justify that with the money he would be making so he stopped.

tyler perry can put out whatever he wants......

aint nobody criticizing spike lee or calling HIM a #%#$, right?

cause his movies aint ****ish and bafoonish....

they're smart, witty and portray a side of black culture understood by blacks but seldom seen, especially by WHITE AMERICA (who never watched his films anyway...but thats beside the point)

i dont talk about the plots, because, honestly, im disgusted before any of that even comes into the scene.

that whole circuit of black christian plays "momma said i dont need no man" and the such, can suck it, as far as im concerned.

the difference is, those are SPECIFICALLY black...white america isnt consuming it...

to an extent, tyler perry hasnt reached that crossover success YET

i just fear the day he does....i don't want to see white women's madea impressions

while morgan freeman doesnt represent all black in every role he's ever done, he's also NEVER portrayed/endorsed/perpetuated a negative or gross stereotype of his race, either..

same with will smith....

while his character was a cliche (to black culture) character of the black guy from the hood placed in the suburbs...the fresh take was the POSITIVE family he was living with. An affluent black family with a judge as the head of the household....those ARE powerful and positive images.....

and, again, FRESH PRINCE NEVER PERPETUATED NEGATIVE OR GROSS STEREOTYPES

i don't remember seeing aunt viv pull a pistol out on a white neighbor like "somebody get this %@*@! for i gets to bustin!"

do you?

you're actually helping my argument....next, please bring up the cosby show and how that wasnt criticized like tyler perry is....

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

Nobody has even spoken about the plots of any of the movies.

Black people can't even be funny anymore?
but funny to who....and in what way?

universally funny?

funny to blacks one way but funny to whites another way?

again, see dave chappelle. while universally funny....he felt as if white america was finding humor in a negative way.....he wasn't able to justify that with the money he would be making so he stopped.

tyler perry can put out whatever he wants......

aint nobody criticizing spike lee or calling HIM a #%#$, right?

cause his movies aint ****ish and bafoonish....

they're smart, witty and portray a side of black culture understood by blacks but seldom seen, especially by WHITE AMERICA (who never watched his films anyway...but thats beside the point)

i dont talk about the plots, because, honestly, im disgusted before any of that even comes into the scene.

that whole circuit of black christian plays "momma said i dont need no man" and the such, can suck it, as far as im concerned.

the difference is, those are SPECIFICALLY black...white america isnt consuming it...

to an extent, tyler perry hasnt reached that crossover success YET

i just fear the day he does....i don't want to see white women's madea impressions

while morgan freeman doesnt represent all black in every role he's ever done, he's also NEVER portrayed/endorsed/perpetuated a negative or gross stereotype of his race, either..

same with will smith....

while his character was a cliche (to black culture) character of the black guy from the hood placed in the suburbs...the fresh take was the POSITIVE family he was living with. An affluent black family with a judge as the head of the household....those ARE powerful and positive images.....

and, again, FRESH PRINCE NEVER PERPETUATED NEGATIVE OR GROSS STEREOTYPES

i don't remember seeing aunt viv pull a pistol out on a white neighbor like "somebody get this %@*@! for i gets to bustin!"

do you?

you're actually helping my argument....next, please bring up the cosby show and how that wasnt criticized like tyler perry is....

eyes.gif

^we have spoke about the plots of almost every movie and already addressed the roles he puts blacks in.

the gall to put blacks as lawyers? brotha please, he makes movies with only black people for the most part, why wouldn't the lawyer or doctor be black?

also, que dr. doolittle (black doctor, not necessarily black movie, comedy that all races can enjoy. oh yeah, strong black cast and shows a good black family)

that hbo movie with mos def, (black doctor "assistant", black family as well)

Harlem Nights > Tylers career. Eddies roles (1989 Harlem Nights Quick (Real Name Vernest Brown) Also Director and Writer)

Death at a funeral Rock's Roles (2010 Death at a Funeral Aaron Also producer, Remake of the 2007 film of the same name)

Down to Earth Rock's Roles (2001 Down to Earth Lance Barton Also co-writer and executive producer)

Head of State Rocks Roles (Head of State Mays Gilliam Also director, producer and co-writer)

I think I love my wife (Dealt with black issues, no $%+@ grandma figure for comic relief) Rocks Roles (I Think I Love My Wife Richard Marcus Cooper Also director and co-writer)

Will Smith

Lakeview Terrace Producer
eek.gif

Hancock Producer
eek.gif

The Secret Life of Bees Producer
eek.gif

Seven Pounds Ben Thomas Producer
eek.gif

2010 The Karate Kid Producer
eek.gif

Hitch Producer
eek.gif

The Pursuit of Happyness Producer
eek.gif

I Am Legend Producer
eek.gif

I, Robot Producer
eek.gif

OUTSIDE OF THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES, none of those are considered "Black Movies".

Denzel

Antwone Fisher (Director)
The Great Debaters (Dircector)

MAN, #!#% TYLER PERRY!

^we have spoke about the plots of almost every movie and already addressed the roles he puts blacks in.

the gall to put blacks as lawyers? brotha please, he makes movies with only black people for the most part, why wouldn't the lawyer or doctor be black?

also, que dr. doolittle (black doctor, not necessarily black movie, comedy that all races can enjoy. oh yeah, strong black cast and shows a good black family)

Harlem Nights > Tylers career. Eddies roles (1989 Harlem Nights Quick (Real Name Vernest Brown) Also Director and Writer)

Death at a funeral Rock's Roles (2010 Death at a Funeral Aaron Also producer, Remake of the 2007 film of the same name)

Down to Earth Rock's Roles (2001 Down to Earth Lance Barton Also co-writer and executive producer)

Head of State Rocks Roles (Head of State Mays Gilliam Also director, producer and co-writer)

I think I love my wife (Dealt with black issues, no $%+@ grandma figure for comic relief) Rocks Roles (I Think I Love My Wife Richard Marcus Cooper Also director and co-writer)

Will Smith

eek.gif

Hancock Producer
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

Hitch Producer
eek.gif

eek.gif

I Am Legend Producer
eek.gif

I, Robot Producer
eek.gif

OUTSIDE OF THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES, none of those are considered "Black Movies".

Denzel

MAN, #!#% TYLER PERRY!

Will Smith

eek.gif

Hancock Producer
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

Hitch Producer
eek.gif

eek.gif

I Am Legend Producer
eek.gif

I, Robot Producer
eek.gif

Denzel

MAN, #!#% TYLER PERRY!

boomerang, coming to america, the list literally could go ON and ON and ON

all those movies...

all positive....

cannot be criticized for the same things TP is being called out on...

MY.

DUDE.

TRISTEN.

pimp.gif

Will Smith

eek.gif

Hancock Producer
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

Hitch Producer
eek.gif

eek.gif

I Am Legend Producer
eek.gif

I, Robot Producer
eek.gif

Denzel

MAN, #!#% TYLER PERRY!

boomerang, coming to america, the list literally could go ON and ON and ON

all those movies...

all positive....

cannot be criticized for the same things TP is being called out on...

MY.

DUDE.

TRISTEN.

pimp.gif

^ *gives eNPHAN 5 on the black hand side and then black power fist*

lol, it's Tristan, tho.

Edit: 5 on the black/greek hand side

lol, it's Tristan, tho.

Edit: 5 on the black/greek hand side

lol, it's Tristan, tho.

my bad.

TRISTAN

lol

*gets confused, because i technically has no "black hand" side....*

( ._.)

lol, it's Tristan, tho.

my bad.

TRISTAN

lol

*gets confused, because i technically has no "black hand" side....*

( ._.)

Fresh Prince never portrayed any negative stereotypes? That was the baseline for the show's comedy, homeboy from the hood now in the burbs and doesn't know how to act. LOLz, he got his school blazer on inside out. LOLz look at him dominate those white boys on that 10ft basketball court, LOLz now he's making them partake in black pastimes like history, spoken word, ebonics, and nonverbal greetings, LOLz he doesn't know he's influencing his cousins, fresh Jordans every episode, best friend was a dropout hustler/thier, went back to Philly to fight dude from the credits, womanizing, couldn't keep a job, unmotivated in school, it's all subjective on how harsh a criteria you want to hold these shows to and what you want to focus on. But you keep acting like Madea is the only character all of her movies.

And I know Morgan Freeman never did anything stereotypical, that is why I mentioned him as someone who would be a positive depiction. You should reread that sentence, don't know how you could have come away with anything but that. Do you think white people leave a movie that has a "positive depiction" of any black person in it feeling better about black people?

Fresh Prince never portrayed any negative stereotypes? That was the baseline for the show's comedy, homeboy from the hood now in the burbs and doesn't know how to act. LOLz, he got his school blazer on inside out. LOLz look at him dominate those white boys on that 10ft basketball court, LOLz now he's making them partake in black pastimes like history, spoken word, ebonics, and nonverbal greetings, LOLz he doesn't know he's influencing his cousins, fresh Jordans every episode, best friend was a dropout hustler/thier, went back to Philly to fight dude from the credits, womanizing, couldn't keep a job, unmotivated in school, it's all subjective on how harsh a criteria you want to hold these shows to and what you want to focus on. But you keep acting like Madea is the only character all of her movies.

And I know Morgan Freeman never did anything stereotypical, that is why I mentioned him as someone who would be a positive depiction. You should reread that sentence, don't know how you could have come away with anything but that. Do you think white people leave a movie that has a "positive depiction" of any black person in it feeling better about black people?

Yeah that Kobra Kai post at the top of this page pretty much shut $!+@ down.

Good job with that one.

Yeah that Kobra Kai post at the top of this page pretty much shut $!+@ down.

Good job with that one.

Originally Posted by cartune

Yea this is another black people caring what the white man thinks subject.
when it really shouldn't because it doesn't matter negative or positive image if they hate us they hate us point blank

when it really shouldn't because it doesn't matter negative or positive image if they hate us they hate us point blank

cosign. i rarely if ever see white people saying "ignorant white guy in movie makes us look bad"

cosign. i rarely if ever see white people saying "ignorant white guy in movie makes us look bad"

i dont have a problem w/Tyler Perry movies cuz minus the christian part they aren't any different than lifetime movies but a thread doesnt pop up every few months about them...

my problem is the people who have a problem w/them but aren't making anything to show another side of black peopple...Perry found his niche so why would he do anything different...the directors and writers and producers that don't like it should get together and make something...

there isn't enough diversity in black entertainment IMO

I agree 10000% with this.  Was listening to Tariq Nasheed a few weeks ago and basically said the same thing.  For the black peep esp yall know when its something different we as a whole don't go to support it most times so why would somebody do something that isn't the normal $$$ making thing.  Nobody in business to lose money.  I think we have to think and look at that also. 

i dont have a problem w/Tyler Perry movies cuz minus the christian part they aren't any different than lifetime movies but a thread doesnt pop up every few months about them...

my problem is the people who have a problem w/them but aren't making anything to show another side of black peopple...Perry found his niche so why would he do anything different...the directors and writers and producers that don't like it should get together and make something...

there isn't enough diversity in black entertainment IMO

I agree 10000% with this.  Was listening to Tariq Nasheed a few weeks ago and basically said the same thing.  For the black peep esp yall know when its something different we as a whole don't go to support it most times so why would somebody do something that isn't the normal $$$ making thing.  Nobody in business to lose money.  I think we have to think and look at that also. 

Back
Top Bottom