The Tyler Perry conundrum

i just hate when one black "makes it" they have to speak for us all. his expression must be ran by the entire community  before release date. why cant one individual express what he sees and judge him on his merits and artistic abilities instead of turning him/her into a role model/spokesperson
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
(utopian but still....)

i like how earlier in thread fam says wheres the black action hero and dude pulls out one poster. so if we as blacks dont happen to like that one we dont get a chance for another terrible or not
laugh.gif

i agree with ephan for the most part. this one mess has got to stop though
grin.gif
eyes.gif

i just hate when one black "makes it" they have to speak for us all. his expression must be ran by the entire community  before release date. why cant one individual express what he sees and judge him on his merits and artistic abilities instead of turning him/her into a role model/spokesperson
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
(utopian but still....)

i like how earlier in thread fam says wheres the black action hero and dude pulls out one poster. so if we as blacks dont happen to like that one we dont get a chance for another terrible or not
laugh.gif

i agree with ephan for the most part. this one mess has got to stop though
grin.gif
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

oh, and one last point...for people who think im just hating or taking these things too serious

dave chappelle walked away from multi-hundred-million-dollar deal.......cause he felt as if his show was being digested by white america in a negative fashion.

he felt like he wasnt being laughed WITH but being laughed AT

he felt like he was ****ing it up for white america...

SO HE STOPPED.

not saying i dont believe u, but when/where did he say that? just wondering

Originally Posted by roc4life24

iwhy cant one individual express what he sees and judge him on his merits and artistic abilities instead of turning him/her into a role model/spokesperson

that's what im doing...im juding this ****ery based upon itself...im juding tyler perry on his merits and artistic abilities in my opinion...

that's not up to us. that's up to the majority of america (white america) and mass media.

you can say "tyler perry and his characters dont represent me at all" like my dude earlier in this post...which is fine....but then you walk out into society where you are being stereotyped and judged based upon images in the mass media.....ESPECIALLY when these images are ENDORSED by the black community.

would a white coworker be wrong to assume your grandma is like Madea? i mean, the character has such overwhelming black support....made tyler perry a rich, powerful figure in media.....you even got black people defending her character like "i know grandmothers like madea"

like them #*%@!*$ need to be circulated in white america....if anything, we should be sweeping those characters under the rug....

granted, their attitudes are probably moreso due to the america they were raised in, but....still....

a madea grandmother is the type that embarasses you in public....

madea is embarassing black americans in public....

that's my opinion....you can agree or not agree....but THATS why i don't rock with dude

not because hes successful

not because he gets dough

Originally Posted by roc4life24

iwhy cant one individual express what he sees and judge him on his merits and artistic abilities instead of turning him/her into a role model/spokesperson

that's what im doing...im juding this ****ery based upon itself...im juding tyler perry on his merits and artistic abilities in my opinion...

that's not up to us. that's up to the majority of america (white america) and mass media.

you can say "tyler perry and his characters dont represent me at all" like my dude earlier in this post...which is fine....but then you walk out into society where you are being stereotyped and judged based upon images in the mass media.....ESPECIALLY when these images are ENDORSED by the black community.

would a white coworker be wrong to assume your grandma is like Madea? i mean, the character has such overwhelming black support....made tyler perry a rich, powerful figure in media.....you even got black people defending her character like "i know grandmothers like madea"

like them #*%@!*$ need to be circulated in white america....if anything, we should be sweeping those characters under the rug....

granted, their attitudes are probably moreso due to the america they were raised in, but....still....

a madea grandmother is the type that embarasses you in public....

madea is embarassing black americans in public....

that's my opinion....you can agree or not agree....but THATS why i don't rock with dude

not because hes successful

not because he gets dough

oh, and one last point...for people who think im just hating or taking these things too serious

dave chappelle walked away from multi-hundred-million-dollar deal.......cause he felt as if his show was being digested by white america in a negative fashion.

SO HE STOPPED.

Originally Posted by moundraised23

SO HE STOPPED.

i forget whow as interviewing him. google interviews.

it was around the time he dissapeared from the country while filming season 3 for comedy central.

you don;t remember him dissapearing and resurfacing in africa?

people were saying he had a nervous breakdown

he said "hell yeah i had a nervous breakdown..."

and explained all that...

20/20? 60 minutes? one of them type of shows.....no idea who interviewed him...no idea where i saw it at...i just remember the details of the story....and thats why dave chappelle will ALWAYS be that dude....

and as "black" dave chappelles material is...and how silly his comedy is....that man's show was genius. It had many flashes of very intellegent satire.......he was speaking on larger themes through comedy....

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

^If i'm not mistaken he said this on Oprah (as well as other places).You might be able to find it on YouTube.
see?

SO HE STOPPED.

it was around the time he dissapeared from the country while filming season 3 for comedy central.

20/20? 60 minutes? one of them type of shows.....no idea who interviewed him...no idea where i saw it at...i just remember the details of the story....and thats why dave chappelle will ALWAYS be that dude....

and as "black" dave chappelles material is...and how silly his comedy is....that man's show was genius. It had many flashes of very intellegent satire.......he was speaking on larger themes through comedy....

^If i'm not mistaken he said this on Oprah (as well as other places).You might be able to find it on YouTube.
see?

Originally Posted by oidreez

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

the problem with this is, why can't he make movies that don't attack our stereotypes?

why can't he do like other producers/directors and sign off on making a novel into a film?

he only stays within the realm of black life! that's lazy +%+#@!*$ just to make money.

isnt "For Colored Girls" based on a novel?
I should have clarified, I mean novels that aren't solely based on black life. Big name projects.

For Colored Girls and Precious are still under the scope of movies that only relate to black people.

Black directors have a knack for staying within that "black" category.

Just cuz it's made by a black person, it doesn't have to be about black people.

For instance, takers with almost an all black cast, isn't necessarily considered a black movie. u have black movies and then u have white movies and movies.

Tyler Perry doesn't make movies.

Originally Posted by oidreez

the problem with this is, why can't he make movies that don't attack our stereotypes?

why can't he do like other producers/directors and sign off on making a novel into a film?

he only stays within the realm of black life! that's lazy +%+#@!*$ just to make money.

isnt "For Colored Girls" based on a novel?
I should have clarified, I mean novels that aren't solely based on black life. Big name projects.

For Colored Girls and Precious are still under the scope of movies that only relate to black people.

Black directors have a knack for staying within that "black" category.

For instance, takers with almost an all black cast, isn't necessarily considered a black movie. u have black movies and then u have white movies and movies.

Tyler Perry doesn't make movies.

SO HE STOPPED.

dave chappelle has a great interview with actor's studio he really opens up ....on youtube and i usually hate celeb interviews
explains pressure blacks have in hollywood

SO HE STOPPED.

dave chappelle has a great interview with actor's studio he really opens up ....on youtube and i usually hate celeb interviews
explains pressure blacks have in hollywood

SO HE STOPPED.

see?

like i said, not that i didnt believe u....i think i remember that oprah interview now

SO HE STOPPED.

see?

like i said, not that i didnt believe u....i think i remember that oprah interview now

or the black experience....

nor SPECIFICALLY FOR black people, at that.

my dude tristan....
pimp.gif

how tarentino make jackie brown tho?

jackie brown !$*+* on tyler perry's entire career.

AS A BLACK HERO MOVIE...

tarentino wrote a black female hero better than tyler perry could dream of....

oops, but he put pam grier and samuel jackson in it...dammit....he didn't give work to some marginal black actor that noone even WANTS to see...

or the black experience....

nor SPECIFICALLY FOR black people, at that.

my dude tristan....
pimp.gif

how tarentino make jackie brown tho?

jackie brown !$*+* on tyler perry's entire career.

AS A BLACK HERO MOVIE...

tarentino wrote a black female hero better than tyler perry could dream of....

oops, but he put pam grier and samuel jackson in it...dammit....he didn't give work to some marginal black actor that noone even WANTS to see...

Yall are making much ado about nothing. Despite being in the character, most of the plots don't even revolve around her. With such stringent expectations, you could criticize ANYTHING with black people in it, especially given that everything negative sticks to us a stereotype anyways. And it doesn't hold true on the inverse so why bother?

Nobody watches a Morgan Freeman movie and leaves with a greater respect and feelings toward black people so that's a losing battle.

Hell, Fresh Prince for example was a young black dude from the hood, oh and he's a rapper, who comes to the suburbs with his rich uncle's family and doesn't know how to act and that's the source of most of the comedy, calls his well to do cousin names and even calls him white stemming from his not being "hood" or "Real" enough, hangs with a hustler, etc.

Aside from that, who else is making black movies that don't take place in the hood, don't revolve around crime, drug dealing, and gratuitous sex, has the gall to make black characters in roles like lawyers, doctors, employs Maya Angelou and Cecile Tyson?

OMG, white people gon' think we got 6'5 funny fat black grandmas!

Nobody has even spoken about the plots of any of the movies.

Black people can't even be funny anymore?

Yall are making much ado about nothing. Despite being in the character, most of the plots don't even revolve around her. With such stringent expectations, you could criticize ANYTHING with black people in it, especially given that everything negative sticks to us a stereotype anyways. And it doesn't hold true on the inverse so why bother?

Nobody watches a Morgan Freeman movie and leaves with a greater respect and feelings toward black people so that's a losing battle.

Hell, Fresh Prince for example was a young black dude from the hood, oh and he's a rapper, who comes to the suburbs with his rich uncle's family and doesn't know how to act and that's the source of most of the comedy, calls his well to do cousin names and even calls him white stemming from his not being "hood" or "Real" enough, hangs with a hustler, etc.

Aside from that, who else is making black movies that don't take place in the hood, don't revolve around crime, drug dealing, and gratuitous sex, has the gall to make black characters in roles like lawyers, doctors, employs Maya Angelou and Cecile Tyson?

OMG, white people gon' think we got 6'5 funny fat black grandmas!

Nobody has even spoken about the plots of any of the movies.

Black people can't even be funny anymore?

Back
Top Bottom