The Tyler Perry conundrum

Originally Posted by oidreez

the main argument seems to be that tyler perry's films make AA's look bad but why are you guys relying on TP to speak for yall? Why not attack rap music too then?

its already been done. there has been a longstanding attack on rap music since its inception...

noone is saying "oh, soulja boy? at least he's a working african american who employs other african americans. And people like his music, they relate to it. plus, you cant knock his hustle, he's getting paid. youre just hating cause you dont like seeing a black man succeed...4 years ago he was a teenager on youtube now he has an empire"

eyes.gif

Of course there has, and making black people look bad is the least of the criticisms, but that didn't answer the question. It's not about whether or not anybody has attacked rap, but rather the same people who attack TP for allegedly making black people look bad and profiting off negative stereotypes. You don't see any hypocrisy in people criticizing Tyler Perry then turning around and bumping their Wocka Flocka?

Of course there has, and making black people look bad is the least of the criticisms, but that didn't answer the question. It's not about whether or not anybody has attacked rap, but rather the same people who attack TP for allegedly making black people look bad and profiting off negative stereotypes. You don't see any hypocrisy in people criticizing Tyler Perry then turning around and bumping their Wocka Flocka?

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

You don't see any hypocrisy in people criticizing Tyler Perry then turning around and bumping their Wocka Flocka?

i do...now show me these individuals....for i am not one of them

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

You don't see any hypocrisy in people criticizing Tyler Perry then turning around and bumping their Wocka Flocka?

i do...now show me these individuals....for i am not one of them

eNPHAN wrote:
where is a black action hero?

where is a black biographical movie on someone we should be more educated about?

- we didnt support it.  $45 million budget, and grossed $7.9 million

6b9359cde0706be9d6d64f6360ff052383f5ba8.pjpg

eNPHAN wrote:
where is the black "sound of music"?

807157ee6cde4a642b5f8fbc68a6c437c36676e.pjpg

eNPHAN wrote:
for all the postive spins defenders of perry use......id like to see the man put out positive black movies...

why do "black movies" have to be about the same BS? you have you OWN production company and you're putting out made-for-BET plots?

church this, beyonce that, hood chick this, thug that, struggle between black women and men, etc etc.

....well, thats what we support. the numbers dont lie.

- and what exactly makes his movies 'negative'? meaning, okay, there may be some issues with the potrayal of AA in his movies but saying his movies arent positive.....AT ALL? please man, who do you think you're talking to?

- the trick is to make entertainment disguised as "church this, beyonce that, hood chick this, thug that, struggle between black women and men" while conveying a message and/or good story. but no one's caught on yet. you either have the Soul Planes or the Great Debaters with no inbetween.

eNPHAN wrote:
for so long, hollywood was dominated (and still is) by white america....now that we have a slice we making the same %+#% viacom has been pumping on BET since they copped it?

these movies look like 2 hour long hair-care infomercials bruh....

we should demand better.

we deserve better.

....Really? we should demand better huh? we deserve better eh? sounds alot like a thread i made a while back on the differences between BET and BET-J. but somehow with movies you seem to 'get it' where with BET-J you didnt.

- LOL@ investing, current events, jazz, cusine, neo soul, and black documentaries being for the over 40 crowd.

- whatever dude, keep blaming Tyler Perry. how about you crawl back under whatever rock you've been hiding under for the past few months you've been missing.

eNPHAN wrote:
where is a black action hero?

where is a black biographical movie on someone we should be more educated about?

- we didnt support it.  $45 million budget, and grossed $7.9 million

6b9359cde0706be9d6d64f6360ff052383f5ba8.pjpg

eNPHAN wrote:
where is the black "sound of music"?

807157ee6cde4a642b5f8fbc68a6c437c36676e.pjpg

eNPHAN wrote:
for all the postive spins defenders of perry use......id like to see the man put out positive black movies...

why do "black movies" have to be about the same BS? you have you OWN production company and you're putting out made-for-BET plots?

church this, beyonce that, hood chick this, thug that, struggle between black women and men, etc etc.

....well, thats what we support. the numbers dont lie.

- and what exactly makes his movies 'negative'? meaning, okay, there may be some issues with the potrayal of AA in his movies but saying his movies arent positive.....AT ALL? please man, who do you think you're talking to?

- the trick is to make entertainment disguised as "church this, beyonce that, hood chick this, thug that, struggle between black women and men" while conveying a message and/or good story. but no one's caught on yet. you either have the Soul Planes or the Great Debaters with no inbetween.

eNPHAN wrote:
for so long, hollywood was dominated (and still is) by white america....now that we have a slice we making the same %+#% viacom has been pumping on BET since they copped it?

these movies look like 2 hour long hair-care infomercials bruh....

we should demand better.

we deserve better.

....Really? we should demand better huh? we deserve better eh? sounds alot like a thread i made a while back on the differences between BET and BET-J. but somehow with movies you seem to 'get it' where with BET-J you didnt.

- LOL@ investing, current events, jazz, cusine, neo soul, and black documentaries being for the over 40 crowd.

- whatever dude, keep blaming Tyler Perry. how about you crawl back under whatever rock you've been hiding under for the past few months you've been missing.

the problem with this is, why can't he make movies that don't attack our stereotypes?

why can't he do like other producers/directors and sign off on making a novel into a film?

he only stays within the realm of black life! that's lazy +%+#@!*$ just to make money.

the problem with this is, why can't he make movies that don't attack our stereotypes?

why can't he do like other producers/directors and sign off on making a novel into a film?

he only stays within the realm of black life! that's lazy +%+#@!*$ just to make money.

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

isnt "For Colored Girls" based on a novel?

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

isnt "For Colored Girls" based on a novel?

^ yes it is...

so is Precious but him and Oprah only put their names on it to push it as already stated...the novel its based on is called Push lol

^ yes it is...

so is Precious but him and Oprah only put their names on it to push it as already stated...the novel its based on is called Push lol

eNPHAN great points in this thread man. I never knew about Chappelle turning down the offer because he felt like a %**!-man.

eNPHAN great points in this thread man. I never knew about Chappelle turning down the offer because he felt like a %**!-man.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

you mad?

dreamgirls is the black sound of music? hardly. HOWEVER, that was an awesome movie, portraying REALISTIC african american characters WITHOUT the negative stereotyping/themes...

awesome movie. why cant TP make movies like that?

as far as "we" didnt support...i saw the miracle at st. anna....hardly a "black hero" flick, HOWEVER, it was an amazing movie...free of stereotypes and negative images....

awesome movie. why cant TP make movies like that?

oh, that's right, cause it doesnt sell.

so $*+% it up, jig for white america and most importantly, GET THAT DOUGH

eyes.gif

who are we to condemn soulja boy? he's obviously found his niche, selling stereotypical black culture to white america's consumption....

why you even got beef with BET, bro? how you gonna hate? they found a niche market, bro...they getting that dough

eyes.gif

BET J is better than BET, however, light jazz is *$%+*#%% for old people...and everytime i turn to BET J, that's whats on....call it a personal bias.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

you mad?

dreamgirls is the black sound of music? hardly. HOWEVER, that was an awesome movie, portraying REALISTIC african american characters WITHOUT the negative stereotyping/themes...

awesome movie. why cant TP make movies like that?

as far as "we" didnt support...i saw the miracle at st. anna....hardly a "black hero" flick, HOWEVER, it was an amazing movie...free of stereotypes and negative images....

awesome movie. why cant TP make movies like that?

oh, that's right, cause it doesnt sell.

so $*+% it up, jig for white america and most importantly, GET THAT DOUGH

eyes.gif

who are we to condemn soulja boy? he's obviously found his niche, selling stereotypical black culture to white america's consumption....

why you even got beef with BET, bro? how you gonna hate? they found a niche market, bro...they getting that dough

eyes.gif

BET J is better than BET, however, light jazz is *$%+*#%% for old people...and everytime i turn to BET J, that's whats on....call it a personal bias.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

you dont remember when season 3 was supposed to come out and dude dissapeared? then resurfaced in africa somewhere? he explained it in some standup when he came to OSU...lightheartedly...then i remember seeing some interview where he basically said "i felt like i was being laughed at...not laughed with..."

like the ******Family skit was hilarious.....but that kinda comedy can be interpereted all wrong, especially by the audience it was never intended to appeal to....once that happens, its kinda out of your control...especially if money is more important to you than integrity.....

my man dave was like "naw, ill go smoke pot in yellow spirngs, ohio....on my owned land....with my wife...and children....alone....."

whereas your boy TP is out here literally looking like the boondocks spoof...

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

you dont remember when season 3 was supposed to come out and dude dissapeared? then resurfaced in africa somewhere? he explained it in some standup when he came to OSU...lightheartedly...then i remember seeing some interview where he basically said "i felt like i was being laughed at...not laughed with..."

like the ******Family skit was hilarious.....but that kinda comedy can be interpereted all wrong, especially by the audience it was never intended to appeal to....once that happens, its kinda out of your control...especially if money is more important to you than integrity.....

my man dave was like "naw, ill go smoke pot in yellow spirngs, ohio....on my owned land....with my wife...and children....alone....."

whereas your boy TP is out here literally looking like the boondocks spoof...

No worries Myt.
I didn't even realize you responded on pg.6 (I was actually responding to the guy before youp.
I actually learned that it was a play from you though (you posted that info in another Tyler Perry thread) so I am very dissapoint in you right now.

No worries Myt.
I didn't even realize you responded on pg.6 (I was actually responding to the guy before youp.
I actually learned that it was a play from you though (you posted that info in another Tyler Perry thread) so I am very dissapoint in you right now.

Back
Top Bottom