The U.... vol. Death Penalty?

^ The same thing goes for "academic scholarships" for students who dont end up amounting to anything

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Originally Posted by PleaseSayTheBaby23

Originally Posted by air max 87

excellent post.

and not everyone seems to get that, everyone wants to look at the Star players "not getting whats deserved" and what about the other 60+ players on that team? the ones who get a free ride? for sitting on the bench for 4 years? no one sees it from both ends.

you seriously must not be a college athlete or know one!

them 60+ players that you think sit on the bench and get a free ride for 4 years put in work that 90% of the world wouldnt do AT ALL!

they practice in the heat during 3 a days
they have to learn a playbook thats thicker then every Harry Potter book put together
they wake up at 5am when you sleep running sprints and up downs till 10 then go straight to class and when they come back from class they have film mettings
they have to attend meetings and practice 6 days out of the week AND STILL GO TO CLASS
they have to get hit and ran over constantly by some of the best players in the nation.......(can you imagine being a tackling dummy or drill buddy with Trent Richardson from Bama?
eek.gif
embarassed.gif
)
just a month of that will put a tear on your body physically and mentally (you see the NFL players are trying hard not to add extra games)

you cant just look at what goes on on Saturday! Look at what each player commits to behind the scenes and the amount of time and work they put in from the starters to the 3rd string to the walk ons.....its no where near a free ride!

Then on top of that ask your self......where do they have time to work a part time job to put money in the pocket? they dont!.....most of these players come from single parent homes and cant call mom or dad for a few $100 and dont have time to work a job like the average college student........so why not reward them? just saying
I never said these guys didn't work hard, because I know that they do. My point was that all that hard work still isn't translating to results on the field and earning money for the school, which is the argument that was being made. If someone's benefits package is directly correlating to their value to the school, a lot of guys are overpaid. 
While I wasn't obligated to do anything physically as taxing as a football player, I still ended up putting in more hours doing work than most of them would put in (football and schoolwork combined). The last two years I was in school I probably averaged 4 hours of sleep a night, and had to stay up for 2-3 days at a time on dozens of occasions. Waking up at 5am? I was usually going to BED at 5am. Even when I'd get home earlier than that I often couldn't get to sleep until 6 or 7 am due to being so wound up. I rarely had time to go out on the weekends and a job was totally out of the question. I had a couple friends that spent far more time at my apartment than I did and they didn't even live there. 

All that being said I don't think it's ridiculous for the players to get compensation for what they're doing; but don't act like they don't already have a decent set up. A lot of them wouldn't have a shot at being able to afford a college education or even gain admission academically to some of these places. 

That hard work IS translating on the field.......Somebody has to give Trent Richardson reps during practice.......meaning when we hard at practice and my star RB needs to work on running over a defender who is he gonna go against? my star LB on the other side of the ball? heck no cause one of them could get hurt! Thats why the 1s practice against the 2s......the 3rd string WR helps the 1st and 2nd string CB get reps in! Those reps turn into practice! Practice prepare you for the game......so lets say that star RB ran over the other teams LB for a touchdown in the game you dont see how the 2nd string or 3rd string LB in practice helped him out by giving him some work and reps at that technique?........Its deeper then that I just broke it down in a simple way

I can understand you not getting enough sleep and busy doing school work but I hate when some college students talk about I have to study till 6 in the morning no diss to you but that means you need to get your priorities straight! I mean dont they let you pick your classes and times? Dont professors tell you what needs to be done before its due? If you have too much on your plate cut something out! Find a balance...........the football players do school work plus get on the field and bang each others brains 6 days out the week they just have better time management cause they have a whole staff that handles how there schedule goes to find that balance

I will admit they do have some perks and stuff but all that comes with hard work on the field

True! But alot of them academic places wouldnt make the millions on millions if it wasnt for those athletes you see on saturday.....not to mention alot of your average students who choose to go to a certain college because they have some history with a sports team there........I cant count how many times at FSU girls say "O my family grew up watching FSU football and I always wanted to be a Nole" or the dudes who say "Man I remember watching the 1999 championship and how much fun they was having on Tennessee St I knew then I wanted to be a Nole"

Hey......y'all can shut up now. THis isn't a thread about paying athletes. It's about this bogus story and all these bogus accusations by some scumbag.
[h3]Lucky Strike co-owner said UM President Donna Shalala 'shouldn't be demonized' in infamous photo[/h3]
By now, you've seen the picture or read about it from someone ripping the administration at the University of Miami.

Former booster Nevin Shapiro holding a bowling ball, standing next to former men's basketball coach Frank Haith and UM President Donna Shalala, who is looking down and smiling at what was a $50,000 check the convicted felon made with stolen Ponzi money at Lucky Strike Lanes in Miami Beach back in 2008.

Shapiro told Yahoo! the picture sums up "the whole problem [at UM] right there." Yahoo! Sports columnist Dan Wetzel described Shalala in the picture as having "the promise that thousands might one day turn to millions practically dancing above her head."

But Shapiro's old friend, Lucky Strike co-owner Brian D. Elias, said he wishes somebody from Yahoo! would have called him to ask him about that particular picture. "Because then maybe," Elias said. "the entire country would have a more accurate portrayal of Shalala other than somebody who is in bed with the devil."

Elias, a 49-year old Law School grad of UM, said he was there the night Shapiro presented UM with the $50,000 check because he co-hosted and helped plan the event.

"We were going to introduce Frank Haith and at some point Nevin said, 'Can I have the mic I'd like to say something,'" Elias said. "So he grabbed the mic and literally, spontaneously said 'I'm going to make a donation for what I think was $50,000.'

"We were all stunned. It's funny when you look at the picture, Donna is looking down at the check smiling because I think she was stunned. So naturally, you see the picture and we were all smiling. When you're trying to fundraise and get a check like that, it was a huge success. But I just think the way this picture has been talked about in articles, it demonizes her. And that couldn't be further than the truth."

Among Shapiro's many allegations against the school he supported for years as a booster is that he often treated UM players to food and entertainment at Lucky Strike including current players Ray-Ray Armstrong, Travis Benjamin, Dyron Dye, Sean Spence, Marcus Forston, Jojo Nicolas and Aldarius Johnson.

On at least one occasion according to the Yahoo! story, Shapiro alleges he rang up a bill of $2,114.18 on Sept. 13 to Sept. 15 during a "bowling for dollars" event where he gave players on winning teams $100 each.

Elias said while that may have happened under his nose, he doesn't remember seeing Shapiro at Lucky Strike often with UM players. But he does remember Shapiro ringing up similar tabs while he partied with his girlfriend and others.

"He would go there virtually every weekend to watch college and pro football," Elias said. "It got to a point where we would speak every time I saw him there. We became friends. He may not have been tall in stature. But he had a huge personality. Everybody liked him. People gravitated to him, I'm not talking about football players, I'm talking about people in general. He liked to brag about not just UM [players], but anybody, playing around with Dwyane Wade, Shaq, the Chief of Police. He never ever, ever, mentioned to me he had a tournament bowling for dollars at Lucky Strike in all the times I knew him.

"Now, occasionally I would see a few UM players there. I don't ever recall seeing all the guys he mentioned, usually it was two or three who came to watch football or bowl or whatever. Now, I never collected credit cards, but he never ever told me he paid for them. He never he told me he paid for this bowling for dollars. In seems to me in knowing him and the the way he would talk about all his contacts with famous people he would have said it. But he never mentioned that to me."

Elias said that to his knowledge nobody from Yahoo! contacted him nor anybody on his staff about the allegations made by Shapiro. And he says none of his friends who associated with Shapiro ever imagined he would be involved in such a way with UM players or much less a $930 million Ponzi scheme.

"I never went out with him. But I remember friends tell me all the time that they would go to Club Mansion, Cameo and Nevin was ordering bottles like crazy," Elias said. "That's just what he did for everybody. He was a really generous guy. Obviously if you believe what you read, it was with other people's money. But he was an incredibly generous guy.

"I've met Donna on four or five occasions and what I know of her she had absolutely no idea those funds were from some illegitimate source. I'm a pretty astute guy, I'm not a dope and I was clueless he was running a Ponzi scheme. To say I'm shocked by what I've read would be an understatement."

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...emonized-in-infamous-photo.html#ixzz1VcKknThT

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

Hey......y'all can shut up now. This isn't a thread about paying athletes. It's about this bogus story and all these bogus accusations by some scumbag.

Miami Shapiro scandal = scandal about............................................Paying Athletes

Just saying *Kanye shrug*

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

For all the talk about how the star players are making the schools all this money and deserve to be compensated, I don't hear anybody talking about how the school gives a full ride to the kids that never amount to anything on the field. If the argument is, "Hey, Tyrod Taylor's making my school a lot of money. It's not fair that he's not getting anything in return for it so we should pay him," Then I counter with the argument, "Hey, JuJu Clayton has been here 3 years and he's never gonna see the field. We're giving him a free ride to attend school, use of our athletic facilities, training staff, and nutritionists, as well as coaching and player development to prepare him for a possible NFL career where he can earn millions of dollars, and he can't even crack the starting lineup and help us win games? We need to cut his !$@ loose! He's not making us any money, what has he done for us lately?" You can't take a meritocratic/capitalistic approach only for the good players, and take the same approach we have now for the bad ones just because it's convenient. If you want to operate like a business, a whole hell of a lot of athletes are gonna be $%!# outta luck. 

I'm not saying that the NCAA isn't too strict in a lot of ways or that they aren't hypocritical, but a lot of athletes have a better deal than everybody thinks they do. For every star athlete "outperforming his contract" there are dozens of others who vastly underperform theirs; guys who only see the field for one of the four years that they are in school or not at all. Guys like the long snapper, or the backup punter. I probably put in twice as many hours of work a week as those guys did during school, we both made the school about the same amount of money, and you know what I got for it? A bajillion dollars in student loans and no job so far after college. I don't feel slighted by that at all; I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to even go to college since I know a lot of smart people that weren't fortunate enough to do so. 

excellent post.

and not everyone seems to get that, everyone wants to look at the Star players "not getting whats deserved" and what about the other 60+ players on that team? the ones who get a free ride? for sitting on the bench for 4 years? no one sees it from both ends.

yall call practicing *wink wink 20  hours (every school goes over the 20 hour limit) a week not counting weights and meetings, missing all holliday breaks and summers and not being able to work a real job to create income, a "free ride" ... really? 

why arent kids on full academic schollys sbject to the same rules as  athletes on full rides ?

Because the kids on academic sholly are actually attending classes and are taking courses harder than Swimming 101.
One has practice commitments and the other has to actually be a student in real courses.  It is a trade off.

Associated Press
At Miami, there's 1 big question: 'How?'
By TIM REYNOLDS , 08.20.11, 12:31 PM EDT

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- A sports bar is packed with Hurricanes boosters, most of whom are wearing their team's orange and green colors. They spontaneously break into chanting their unofficial anthem, "It's great ... to be ... a Mi-a-mi Hurr-i-cane!"

As they sing, the sight of Nevin Shapiro running into an Orange Bowl end zone and getting chased off by a security guard pops onto nearby televisions.

Article Controls

EMAIL
REPRINT
NEWSLETTER
COMMENTS
Groans rise from the crowd.

For Miami football and its fans, there's just no getting away from The Scandal. The sports bar scene happened at a long-scheduled gathering in Palm Beach County, where Hurricanes fans tried generating enthusiasm for the new season. A few days ago, that would have been easy. Considering this get-together came two days afterYahoo (YHOO - news - people ) Sports published its report that Shapiro - the mastermind of a $930 million Ponzi scheme - provided money, sex, cars and gifts to 72 players over a nine-year period ending in 2010, it's nearly impossible.

The NCAA is investigating what happened. There's plenty to sift through. How did this happen? Who let this happen? Why did Shapiro have such access? Did anyone check his background? And perhaps most important, how did these secrets, if true, remain secrets for so many years?

Simple questions, lacking simple answers.

Related Stories
What a Tornado Taught Me That College Didn't
NetApp: How To Castrate A Bull
NetApp: How To Castrate A Bull
What's Ailing Bank of America? Just This Little Pesky Thing Called Countrywide, Moynihan Tells Employees
What's Ailing Bank of America? Just This Little Pesky Thing Called Countrywide, Moynihan Tells Employees
Stories
Videos
Rate This Story
Your Rating
Overall Rating
Reader Comments
Post a Comment
"It was one guy with a lot of money," said former Miami quarterback Steve Walsh, who led the Hurricanes to the 1987 national title and is now a high school coach in West Palm Beach, Fla. "And it wasn't his, so he was going to spend it freely. That's the other part of it. It's so difficult for an athlete. If some guy wants to buy you drinks, 'Sure!' You're not going to say, 'Who are you?' And now the guy's sitting in prison. In there, he can allege all he wants."

Shapiro is serving a 20-year sentence for his crimes, with federal officials saying he is scheduled to be released in 2027. He already is serving his penalty. It could be months before Miami knows what penalty, if any, it will face for having a rogue booster first try to befriend, then bring down, dozens of Hurricanes over the span of nearly a decade.

"That's my school," said Maria Elena Perez, Shapiro's attorney. "I didn't want any of this to happen to my school."

The current Hurricanes implicated by Shapiro in the Yahoo Sports story are quarterback Jacory Harris, safeties Vaughn Telemaque and Ray Ray Armstrong, receivers Travis Benjamin and Aldarius Johnson, defensive linemen Marcus Forston, Olivier Vernon, Marcus Robinson and Adewale Ojomo, tight end Dyron Dye, defensive back JoJo Nicholas and linebacker Sean Spence.

They have not spoken publicly about the matter. Their teammates who are talking say they don't have the answer to that fundamental question - "How?" - either.

"It came out of nowhere," center Tyler Horn said. "I can't control it. And if I can't control it, there's no need to be worrying about it."

Miami's Hurricane Club has nine levels of giving, and each step up the ladder means better gifts and greater access to the athletic department. The top levels ($30,000 or more) provide just about anything a fan would want - sideline passes, VIP passes, exclusive reception invitations, even interacting with a student-athlete.

Shapiro promised plenty, including a $150,000 pledge for a student-athlete lounge that was supposed to bear his name. He made other donations as well, including $50,000 to men's basketball.

Things like that endeared him to Miami, a private school of more than 9,000 undergraduates and an endowment in the neighborhood of $600 million, although the athletic department has long said it lacks the deep pockets of many schools it competes against. Shapiro became a highly valued donor. When he wanted something like seeing practice, typically someone would at least listen.

"The way it would work is, someone from the Hurricane Club or whatever would walk him to the field and tell the security guards and the coaches who he was and why he was there," said an athletic department employee, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigations by both the NCAA and the university. "It didn't happen a lot. One day, I was out there and saw the guy trying to get into a huddle. Never saw that before by anyone."

That incident happened while Larry Coker coached the Hurricanes.

When asked about Shapiro on Friday, Coker told The Associated Press he knew about the former booster during his time at Miami but never interacted with him. He didn't elaborate further.

"He's a bad person," Coker said.

Coker's successor had the same sentiment.

When Randy Shannon took over as coach, Shapiro's access to practice stopped. Shannon played at Miami in the 1980s and told confidants that he had seen people like Shapiro around the program before, warning assistant coaches that if he ever learned they interacted with the booster, he would fire them personally.

"Randy told everyone, players and coaches," said a former football assistant coach, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he expects to be interviewed by the NCAA. "Deal with him at your own risk. He told me personally, 'The guy's poison. Bad news. Trouble.' And we listened. So then the guy started trying to reach out to players directly more and more. They would come to us and complain that they'd go bowling and he'd show up. It was a running joke around here. We'd ask, 'See your stalker last night?'"

Shannon, who was fired by Miami in November, declined comment when reached by The Associated Press. Another member of his staff, also speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that Shannon was not an ally of Shapiro.

"Randy hated the guy," the second coach said.

But, according to Shapiro, some players hung out with him anyway - a thrill for someone who has described himself as a lifelong Hurricanes fan. He was even featured in 1992 by The Miami Herald, which detailed his antics as he sat in the stands watching Miami play rival Florida State in a particularly close game not decided until the final moments. He screamed, "We are the gods of college football!"

Whether he still feels that way is anyone's guess. This much is clear: He's gone from fan to pariah in a hurry.

"We've overcome many, many obstacles over the years," said former Miami player and longtime radio analyst Don Bailey Jr. "And we've proved five times, when people tell us something is impossible, it's only their opinion."

Until the scandal broke Tuesday, when Shapiro's accusations were detailed by Yahoo Sports, some around the Hurricanes never knew who the short, brash, aggressive man was. Others knew his name, but didn't know what he looked like until seeing images and videos that popped up in recent days. Many players denied knowing him whatsoever, even after they were accused by Shapiro of taking his money and gifts.

"I don't know about everybody else. I can only speak for myself," said one of those implicated, Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson. "I don't really know what it is he alluded to."

Shapiro's lifestyle began unraveling a couple years ago, when the money started running dry and investors began thinking they'd been had. He never paid for the lounge. He stopped paying for his tickets. He even asked for the $50,000 he donated to the men's basketball program back.

By then, the damage was done. Shapiro's claws were deeply within the Hurricanes.

"It makes me sick," said former Miami athletic director Kirby (KEX - news - people ) Hocutt, who now holds the same job at Texas Tech. "It makes me sick. I gave my being and every waking moment I had for three years to that program. So, yeah, it's sad. It's disappointing."

Hocutt became aware that Shapiro was making threats more than a year ago. While the university said it looked into those claims, it appeared few, if any, took him seriously.

"It was allegations that a convicted felon was making from prison," Hocutt said. "And we could not find any credible information. ... We didn't know what allegations he was making, how significant or insignificant they were. But from July or August (of 2010) through last Thursday, which was my understanding when the NCAA notified Miami, there was not another word about this spoken. It was a rogue booster and convicted felon saying things. There were more important things to focus on."

Hocutt hired Al Golden as Miami's football coach in December. Golden said he was unaware of the Shapiro story and threats until the Yahoo Sports piece was published, meaning he was not told of the looming problem during the interview process.

"There was no reason to," Hocutt said.

All the reasons they couldn't find then are staring them squarely in the face now, in the form of Shapiro's allegations. Miami joined a growing list of schools with major football programs to be investigated by the NCAA for rule-breaking in the past 18 months. Others include Southern California, Ohio State, Auburn, Oregon, Michigan, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and LSU.

And one of the principals involved in the USC matter, Reggie Bush - who lost his Heisman and saw his team stripped of a Bowl Championship Series title - even says something needs to change.

"Obviously a lot of things going on right now are terrible, moreso for the college players," said Bush, now with the Miami Dolphins. "It's tough when you can take a college player's career and dream away from him at the snap of a finger. Something needs to be done."

What remains baffling to many people, including some at Miami, is that when Shapiro was a big-wheel donor, anyone with a computer could have found that his background was not pristine.

Miami-Dade County court records show that not only was Shapiro guilty of felony aggravated battery against a club owner Peter Honerkamp in 1995, but ordered to pay $7,340 in a related civil case and serve 18 months' probation. Honerkamp said Shapiro suckerpunched him during a dispute about cover charges and nearly lost sight in one eye.

Shapiro's stepfather, Richard Adam, was indicted in Florida in the 1990s for allegedly helping operate a loan scheme that resulted in clients losing somewhere around $5 million in fees - a case with some obvious similarity to what Shapiro did years later, though on a much larger scale. After spending years in a Canadian prison while fighting extradition to the United States, Adam eventually reached a plea deal on a conspiracy charge.

Adam's lawyer at the time: Maria Elena Perez, who now represents his stepson.

"We all thought he was spending his father's money at first," said the Miami athletic department employee, referring to Shapiro. "That's what he said."

Shapiro had a yacht, a multimillion-dollar home, fancy cars, jewelry, all the toys suggesting success. He sat courtside at Miami Heat games, even getting to be around Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in some social situations.

That, too, seemed to all be a facade. Shapiro promised to buy more than $700,000 worth of tickets from the Heat. He never paid.

"It's very unfortunate," Wade said when asked about the Miami situation and Shapiro's involvement with the Hurricanes. "I wish the best for Miami. I'm a big supporter of the university."

Wade said nothing surprises him anymore when it comes to scandals, and Jack Hulse would agree.

Hulse, who now lives in Indiana and still lists a second address in Sarasota, Fla., lost nearly $500,000 in Shapiro's scheme, thinking he invested in a grocery-distribution business. Instead, federal prosecutors said Hulse's money - and tens of millions more, including about $1 million from former Wisconsin football coach Barry Alvarez (a close friend of Miami President Donna Shalala) and his family - went toward paying off at least $5 million in illegal gambling debts and a lavish lifestyle filled with excess.

"Nevin Shapiro used other people's money to live a fantasy life built on false promises to unsuspecting victims," said U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman.

Hulse could not agree more.

"I met him one time at a birthday party," Hulse said. "He just kind of seemed like he was full of himself. Somebody pulled me in and introduced me and that was basically it. He introduced himself and he wasn't somebody I would be particularly thrilled to be around. A little cocky guy."

Hulse doesn't expect to ever recover his money through the forced bankruptcy proceedings, or the court order than Shapiro repay his victims nearly $83 million.

"Pennies on the dollar," Hulse said. "If that."

At the booster event, Walsh grabs the microphone and starts telling a story about the end of the 1985 season.

It's a few days before the Sugar Bowl, and he and some Miami teammates are in a New Orleans bar. Someone offered to buy the Hurricanes some drinks and they accepted, never thinking twice about checking out who the man was.

"We didn't care," Walsh says. These were the big, bad Jimmy Johnson Hurricanes, after all. A team full of swagger that had just closed the regular season by embarrassing Notre Dame 58-7 and were just starting a run of what would become an NCAA-record 58 straight wins at home.

So on some of the things Shapiro alleges - the most minor claims - Walsh almost apologetically can understand how difficult it would be for anyone to turn the freebies down.

"I've never met Nevin Shapiro," Walsh says, before adding, tongue in cheek, "he never bought me dinner, never bought me drinks. I'm jealous."

A few people laugh.

"But in all seriousness," Walsh continues, "you look at the source. The guy made a living, almost a billion-dollar living, by telling lies. ... If the money went from his account to a player's account, we've got problems. If the money went from his account to a player who signed with his agent, Miami's got problems. That all remains to come out. Some people don't have the best intentions. They want to be closer to the program and will do anything to get closer."

And in this case, no one at Miami pieced together the entire Nevin Shapiro story in time to avoid maybe the biggest mess in program history.

AP Sports Writers Betsy Blaney, Tom Canavan, Steven Wine, Paul Weber, Chris Duncan, Michael Marot and Rick Gano contributed to this report.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Wouldn't it be crazy if the investigation turned up nothing but lies, and nothing happened? Wishful thinking on my part, but could you imagine after all this, it turned out to all be a lie?

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Wouldn't it be crazy if the investigation turned up nothing but lies, and nothing happened? Wishful thinking on my part, but could you imagine after all this, it turned out to all be a lie?

laugh.gif
but its not

laugh.gif
but its not
and how would you figure its not?

This dude has no concrete info Video or Audio!

All he has is pictures and phone records that just say when he called!

Like I said......I personally have tons of pictures of me & D1 football players along with jerseys, gloves, and cleats......I can get phone records of texts and phone calls.....I can pull up my bank statements and say "you see that $900 paypal charge on my account? thats when I bought him some Yeezys"! Now say I told you I paid those players I know would you believe me?

basically anyone can do what this dude is doing

on top of that HE IS IN PRISON FOR RUNNING A PONZI SCHEME 4 CRYING OUT! How much attention and special treatment you think he is gettin shown in prison? Alot!

My uncle works at a prison and he tells me all the time how if a inmate gets popular or has a well known status HE CANT BE IN GENERAL POPULATION! which in prison is the best thing you can have happen to you! you dont have to fight for your life, you dont have to sleep with one eye open, & you dont have to worry about choosing a gang......its just you by yourself......cant even front if I was him I would be doin the same thing he got nothing to lose and everything to gain inside of there......20 years in general pop?
30t6p3b.gif

Now say I told you I paid those players I know would you believe me?

Yahoo wouldn't post up a lengthy article about it if they weren't completely sure that a good majority of it was true.

USC thought they might be in the clear, and compared to the Miami scandal, theirs was nothing.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Yahoo wouldn't post up a lengthy article about it if they weren't completely sure that a good majority of it was true.

USC thought they might be in the clear, and compared to the Miami scandal, theirs was nothing.

honestly man I see his statements being 30% true.....I feel like he did have a little interaction with the older players back in '04 '05 '06 but no contact with the new era of Canes from like 2007 til now

and I feel the NCAA is gonna hit us harder then what we deserve cause it wont look good in the public eye just letting us off with scholarships taken

Im thinking when it's all said and done they are going to lose scholarships, and be bowl ineligible for 2-3 years.

Remember last time this happened to Miami in the late 90s, they lost 31 scholarships over 3 years, and were bowl ineligible one year, yet they came back with Butch Davis and won a title a few years later.

Im thinking when it's all said and done they are going to lose scholarships, and be bowl ineligible for 2-3 years.

Remember last time this happened to Miami in the late 90s, they lost 31 scholarships over 3 years, and were bowl ineligible one year, yet they came back with Butch Davis and won a title a few years later.

this aint the 90s anymore man.....different breed out here 

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

true but Florida is still where you find the best players

so if we just stay in florida and get our O line from up north we will be fine

I might be wrong, but hasn't Miami been located in Florida since joining the ACC? Haven't done @++# since then. I don't see things turning around after this.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

I might be wrong, but hasn't Miami been located in Florida since joining the ACC? Haven't done @++# since then. I don't see things turning around after this.
We dont recruit like we use to which Al Golden is trying to get back started! Bringing back the state of Miami

Originally Posted by RunsHouse23

Tyrone moss clearing up his statements. Said he never took $1000 from Shapiro or was on his boT

The audio came out with him saying he did take the money. 
30t6p3b.gif

Anybody got the video of the news doin a interview with shapiro from prison?

Tyrone Moss Denies Booster's Claims
Former Hurricane Player Disputes Yahoo Report
POSTED: Sunday, August 21, 2011
UPDATED: 9:20 pm EDT August 21, 2011
Email
Print

POMPANO BEACH, Fla. -- Former Hurricanes running back Tyrone Moss told Local 10 he did not accept a $1,000 payment from former booster Nevin Shapiro, who's at the center of an NCAA investigation into the Miami football program.
Moss was one of dozens of Hurricanes players named by Shapiro in an investigation by Yahoo! Sports, which triggered a probe at the school.
Shapiro alleged he provided a handful of extra benefits to Moss during his career with the Hurricanes, including a $1,000 cash payment on his first meeting with Moss and entertainment on Shapiro’s $1.6 million yacht.
Moss told Local 10 "I wanted to clear the air and let everyone know I’ve never received 1,000 dollars from Nevin Shapiro. Nor have I ever been on his boat or anything like that. Someone has taken my name and tried to destroy my name. I have always been loyal to Miami. Miami is a great place. Miami has been good to my family and good to me. I had some of my best years at the University of Miami. I just wanted to clear the air and make a statement that I have never taken any money or been on any boat like that. For something like this to happen is just crazy."
Moss added, "I don’t care how it was quoted, I don’t care how it was written or I don’t care how it was said. But just to let everyone know, I have never been involved with Nevin. I have no ties to Nevin. I have never taken any money from him, and I have never been on that guy’s boat. I just wanted to clear the air, because a lot of people around here are saying this, saying that. What did you say, what did you talk about? I haven’t talked to anybody. I have not had direct contact with anybody. I’m tired of the rumors and things like that. The last few days have been crazy around here for me. I just wanted to clear the air and let everyone know I Iove Miami. I went to school there and had 4 great years there. I would never bash Miami in any type of way or talk negative about Miami. Basically, he (Shapiro)wants attention. That’s all."

Now Moss is saying Shapiro threatened him and his family.

“Look, Nevin threatened me, threatened my family. His lawyer sent me letters. I panicked. I thought Nevin just needed some quotes for the book he said he was writing. I figured if I answered a couple of questions the way he wanted, this would all be over and I wouldn’t have to worry about it anymore. I didn’t know this was going to turn into some big case against Miami. It was so long ago I didn’t think it would matter if I lied. I wish I’d never given the interview now. Let me be clear. I didn’t take money and I didn’t take benefits from Nevin Shapiro. We used to see the guy when we’d go clubbing and stuff. Dude was everywhere. But I didn’t take anything from him.

Back
Top Bottom