The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Unlikely. Monaco finished second in Ligue 1. "Only" by 9 points against a star-studded PSG side.
And that was with Falcao sitting out half the year too. I dont mind Rodriguez at Monaco, hopefully they can spend some more money amd try to compete with PSG in Ligue 1.

I hope City comes knockin on the doors in the future when Silva starts to decline :pimp:

Hypothetically, if a team is +500 odds, does it relates back to that 100$? So for a better lack of words, isn't that basically saying it's 5/1 odds? right?

This where I get confused. I understand football & basketball. One team is given points as a fav, you try to beat the spread and what not. But when it comes to what I've seen on here for soccer, I'm kind of lost. I think I saw a couple pages back Portugal is 23/20 odds to make it thru to the next round. How does that even make sense?

Sorry if I'm lost :lol:

yea +500 would mean 5/1 odds..the +500 -300 etc is called the money line, thats the favorite and the underdog... i dont know anything about point spreads or any of that :lol:

the US, UK, and europe all have different ways of doing it.. i think in the uk use decimals like a 1.2 favorite. other places would do 5/1 favorite.. but in the US its +/- for whatever reason

played an actual organized game of soccer today for the first time in my life with a bunch of dudes from work today at lunch. had a ******* awesome time. definitely will be playing some more. being my first time, i hung back and played a CB type of role. tried to mostly get rid of the ball within two touches since i have zero ball handling skills. did pretty well defending. cleared out a few crosses using my head and felt like a boss :lol:
Good stuff, DSA. Soccer provides some of the best cardio outside of swimming.
Yes it is :pimp: I gotta get back into organized soccer :smh:

DSA I'm surprised that's the first time you've played.

Via Sportscenter:
@SportsCenter: THIS JUST IN: FIFA charges Luis Suarez for biting opponent. If found guilty, rules call for minimum ban of 2 matches, maximum of 24 months.

played an actual organized game of soccer today for the first time in my life with a bunch of dudes from work today at lunch. had a ******* awesome time. definitely will be playing some more. being my first time, i hung back and played a CB type of role. tried to mostly get rid of the ball within two touches since i have zero ball handling skills. did pretty well defending. cleared out a few crosses using my head and felt like a boss :lol:
Good stuff, DSA. Soccer provides some of the best cardio outside of swimming.
Yes it is :pimp: I gotta get back into organized soccer :smh:

DSA I'm surprised that's the first time you've played.

yeah it was just a sport i never got into in terms of playing. growing up in the northeast, it was football in the fall and baseball in the spring...with hockey going on from sept through june. plus, most of my friends aren't into soccer so never even played in any neighborhood pick up games.

definitely a great workout. stamina wise i was fine thanks to playing hockey 2-3 times a week. had no issues there. but also wasn't moving up that much past midfield. eager to get more involved as i keep playing some more.

what was his last ban? 10+ matches right?

Yes, 10 matches. This is his third biting offense. Even though the prior 2 offense were at club level, he should get the book thrown at him including not being able to play the rest of the tournament. The audacious thing about today's bite are the theatrics he threw into the performance just after the bite, he really dove into his performance.

It's a shame because he seemed to have rehabbed his image this past campaign while propelling The Reds into the CL.

should be lifetime. hard fouls, headbutts, punches are one thing. but biting? three times? ban the man

This ban him for life stuff is nonsense.

You can't take his livelihood away because he's a bad sport and something is wrong with him (psychologically).

Ban for life is way too harsh. Ban him for the rest of the world cup, fine him heavy, and make him go see a psychologist. That's good enough. Even if it is only one game, it's the most important game of his career. It may mean for to him than all of Liverpool's seasons combined.

i dunno. if it was his first or even second incident..sure. but third time? biting...for a THIRD time? he hasn't gotten the message and likely never will get the message. and if he really is THAT messed up in the head and needs help, he definitely should be banned for than 10 damn games. that would be a joke for a third incident.

make it a year away from soccer and mandatory mental treatment if he's seriously going to be judged as having mental issues.

Last edited:
played an actual organized game of soccer today for the first time in my life with a bunch of dudes from work today at lunch. had a ******* awesome time. definitely will be playing some more. being my first time, i hung back and played a CB type of role. tried to mostly get rid of the ball within two touches since i have zero ball handling skills. did pretty well defending. cleared out a few crosses using my head and felt like a boss
laugh.gif
Good for you bro 
smokin.gif

Tip: Find yourself a wall to kick against to improve your first touch control... and keepie uppies 
wink.gif

This ban him for life stuff is nonsense.

You can't take his livelihood away because he's a bad sport and something is wrong with him (psychologically).

Ban for life is way too harsh. Ban him for the rest of the world cup, fine him heavy, and make him go see a psychologist. That's good enough. Even if it is only one game, it's the most important game of his career. It may mean for to him than all of Liverpool's seasons combined.

Banning him for the rest of the Cup would be sufficient if it was the first offense. A 3 time offender needs much stricter punishment. Dude had two other opportunities to correct his ways, a third is too much. Biting players in the Dutch league is one thing. Biting players in a Premier league game is another, but for a third time on a global stage is ludicrous.

NEWS: Premier League: Yaya Toure claims Manchester City did not let him visit dying brother
Yaya Toure claims Manchester City would not let him spend time with his dying brother Ibrahim before he joined their post-season trip to Dubai.
Last Updated: 24/06/14 8:46pm

Japan-v-Ivory-Coast-Yaya-Toure-frustrated_3158122.jpg

Ibrahim Toure died last week in Manchester at the age of 28 after a battle with cancer.

Midfielder Yaya and Liverpool defender Kolo Toure are currently in Brazil with the Ivory Coast squad at the World Cup.

And Yaya Toure told France Football that City prevented him from leaving the title celebrations in Dubai.

He said: "City did not want to give me a few days. I went to celebrate in the wake of the league title in Abu Dhabi, while my brother was dying in his bed.

"In retrospect, I regret not having insisted. For not making them respect me. However, my employers knew that I was suffering for a few months seeing my brother's health decline."

Toure also said of Ibrahim: "He was my confidant, my best friend too."

City have declined to comment on Toure's remarks but it is understood they were not approached about the possibility of him returning to the UK. The club has granted compassionate leave in the past – former boss Roberto Mancini missed a game following the death of his father.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ster-city-did-not-let-him-visit-dying-brother

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom