The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Last edited:
By the looks of it, Barca is closing the deal on Mathieu for 20m euros. Also, some reports that Barca are only signing one CB, and not two.

I'm so annoyed if this signing comes to fruition. Barca will have paid €20m for a 30 year old CB & yet Barca will pay market value for the most vilified footballer to come along in a long time. Barca didn't even get a discount because of the third bite...

We've needed a CB for several years now & they're going to put all their cards on the table for someone whose 30? Mats Hummels is supposed to be going to United for the same price...

Don't get me wrong, Mathieu was a solid defender last season but he's 30. I'd feel better about the purchase if Barca also got Daley Blind or better still, they should buy Blind instead...

I just don't get the logic shown by Zubi, Bartomeu, & this board...

We'll pay market value for this buck toothed Hannibal wannabe yet Barca won't pay market value for the likes of Mehdi Benatia or Eliaquim Mangala (who looks to be ending up at City)... :{

Edit - looks like the deal is done...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...109/barcelona-agree-mathieu-deal?ICID=HP_BN_1

View media item 1090039

Last edited:
Who's going to the Real Madrid vs Inter match on Saturday? I'm on the fence. I don't want to pay $100+ to see the big names like Bale, Alonso, Coentrao, etc play for 15 minutes and then get subbed out for academy players
same here.  dont know if i should go or spend that $100 on this years jersey.  if it's guaranteed the big names will play into the 2ng half, i would go.  probably wont make up my mind until noon saturday depending if prices comes down.  did you hear anything as to where they'll be staying up here?  4 years ago when they came up to play in candlestick, they stayed at the w hotel in downtown.  i really want coentrao and pepe to sign my portugal jersey.  ive all but given up on ronaldo seeing as he'll be the most demanded.

same here.  dont know if i should go or spend that $100 on this years jersey.  if it's guaranteed the big names will play into the 2ng half, i would go.  probably wont make up my mind until noon saturday depending if prices comes down.  did you hear anything as to where they'll be staying up here?  4 years ago when they came up to play in candlestick, they stayed at the w hotel in downtown.  i really want coentrao and pepe to sign my portugal jersey.  ive all but given up on ronaldo seeing as he'll be the most demanded.

No idea. All I know is that they're at UCLA at the moment. Ronaldo's not making the trip anyway

Ronaldo should be joining the rest of the team in la later in the week along with ramos, casillas, and modric.

pimp.gif

knew this dude wouldnt sit out a chance to play in america lol
but i dont think hes going to be playing.  They have a specific training program just for him

Last edited:
going to the Real vs Inter in Cal as well with my family. sucks that obviously CR can't make it amongst other players I wanted to see. I got tip that parking is terrible on game days but I don't know if the crowds will be as massive as a typical Cal game. but since we're on the WC hype still I can imagine more "fans" will come see the game. Mostly likely I will take Bart. If you are the station to get off at is Downtown Berkeley then the long trek to the stadium, wherever that is
laugh.gif

I'm so annoyed if this signing comes to fruition. Barca will have paid €20m for a 30 year old CB & yet Barca will pay market value for the most vilified footballer to come along in a long time. Barca didn't even get a discount because of the third bite...

We've needed a CB for several years now & they're going to put all their cards on the table for someone whose 30? Mats Hummels is supposed to be going to United for the same price...

Don't get me wrong, Mathieu was a solid defender last season but he's 30. I'd feel better about the purchase if Barca also got Daley Blind or better still, they should buy Blind instead...

I just don't get the logic shown by Zubi, Bartomeu, & this board...

We'll pay market value for this buck toothed Hannibal wannabe yet Barca won't pay market value for the likes of Mehdi Benatia or Eliaquim Mangala (who looks to be ending up at City)...
mean.gif

Edit - looks like the deal is done...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...109/barcelona-agree-mathieu-deal?ICID=HP_BN_1

Priorities are obviously in the wrong areas with this board. My only thought about this Mathieu purchase is that they hope to get a few solid years from him along Pique and letting Barta and Montoya (along with the Barca B CB's) time to come into their own. Also, with the tactics rumor of Enrique wanting to use a double pivot of Busquets and Mascherano, they might be thinking a world class CB isn't needed for the time being. 

Come September 1st, we will know exactly what the plan is.

Priorities are obviously in the wrong areas with this board. My only thought about this Mathieu purchase is that they hope to get a few solid years from him along Pique and letting Barta and Montoya (along with the Barca B CB's) time to come into their own. Also, with the tactics rumor of Enrique wanting to use a double pivot of Busquets and Mascherano, they might be thinking a world class CB isn't needed for the time being. 

Come September 1st, we will know exactly what the plan is.

I hope Enrique (Lucho) plays the B squad guys alot during the friendlies/preseason. I'd like to see what the likes of Edgar le, Frank Bagnack, newcomer Diawandou Diagne can offer at CB. Patric is a right back, but can also play CB too...

I guess we'll see...

Chelsea just got another striker to ensure Torres doesn't see the pitch this season. This might make them dangerous again :{

Anyways, how do you guys play fantasy for the BPL? Im pretty interested but know absolutely nothing about the scoring/category system.
So we use this site http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ for our fantasy footy in the EPL. When you register it'll ask you to join some leagues if you know any. It'll have you choose a team in the current EPL as your favourite. whether or not you prefer any team in the EPL once chosen you'll be in Chelsea fans League. Obviously we here have an NT league. I think the very first time we did this there was 2 but 1 of them got filled with a lot of randoms. I guess you can say the new official "NT league" is password protected but I think someone needs to form it up again for this season. last season we got about 43 people, I placed like 19th or 20th
laugh.gif

but to answer your question when they talk about money or that Rooney is worth £10.5 for instance is when making your squad a player has a value in £. you are given £100 to make your team of 15 squad members. 2 GKs, 5 Defs, 5 Mids, 3 Fwds. you can make this up in any combination of players from around the EPL as you want. One rule is that you can't have more then 3 players from the same team at any time. I maxed out all Chelsea possibilities last season by always having Oscar, Ivanovic and Willian. before each game week you can choose the starting 11 of what you have. The remainder 4 subs will be on the bench. you can also put in the order of the bench together. this is important. If you made a starting 11 for that game week and had Michu starting on your team but when the actual game happens and he gets absolutely zero playing time the first person on your bench will automatically be switched in his spot whether its another forward or defender. THis has screwed me over before. Skrtel was 2nd in my bench, he had a great game and one of my 11 didn't play at all and Skrtel didn't get subbed in, it was some cannon fodder Crystal palace forward I got specifically just to be on the bench to save myself money that was 1st on my bench. also you can transfer 1 player before next weeks game. by transfering I mean I will trade my £7.5 Llana for a £7.3 Mirallas and keep the remainder £.2 in my bank for possible later transfers I wish to use as leverage. If you don't use your weekly transfer it'll stack and for next week you'll have 2 available transfers. so with strategy if Torres comes back (FINALLY!!) and his price goes up to £15.3 you might want to stack transfers, trade 2 or 3 people in one week to get Torres and fill the remaining 1 or 2 spots with QPR bench and reserve players that cost about £1.5 combined. just saying.

So when Michu had his breakthrough season, before the season started let's say he was worth £7.5 and when he was hot like a pistol that got Swansea a trophy his worth probably increased to like £10.5. If you have him since the beginning he's still £7.5 for you but to buy a new Michu he'll be £10.5. So guessing someone having a breakthrough year will be phenomenal as it saves you money to buy other players that you want. who knows... Alexis Sanchez might be worth X amount but he might turn out as a flop like Soldado (no offense Spur fans) wasted money.

You can also choose a captain of the team for that week and a vice captain. the captain gets double the amount of points for that week. say I give it to Kompany, he gets an assist and a goal with clean sheet and 90 minutes of playing time. that looks like 20 points right there plus its doubled? hell of a week for you and that was only 1 player giving you 40 points when the average is usually 35 among whole teams that week. the average is made up of all the other people in your league (fellow NTers)

most points win at the end of the season

hope this helps, I make long responses in hopes of covering everything. join us this season, there is a thread on here of it but it rarely gets touched. should pick up once this season starts

Last edited:
I really hate seeing footballers carrying man purses aka "murses"... At least get a Louie Vuitton or Gucci back pack... :{

Chelsea just got another striker to ensure Torres doesn't see the pitch this season. This might make them dangerous again :{

We'll see.

I'm interested to see how Costa does at Chelsea this season. Everyone is thinking he's going to instantly reach God-level...but I don't know if it will be that simple.....time will tell...

Back
Top Bottom