The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

That's pretty awesome that you go to meet him, appreciate you sharing that. Do you know what they were doing at the store?

No problem. It definitely made my afternoon that much more interesting.
Honestly, they were all just out shopping (North Park is the high end shopping area in Dallas) and just getting some time away from training. They all had Gucci and Louis Vuitton bags.
I'm pretty sure Senderos just met up with the team for the first time so it could have been a chance to get comfortable with the new squad.

My thought on Cristiano is even if he is a "trained" product you still need that raw talent to elevate your game up. You cant have just all speed and muscles and be great. You still need that technical ability to go with the athleticism. My comparison to Messi and Ronaldo is Kobe and LeBron. Natural v. Athletism. I enjoy both Ronaldo and LeBron but prefer Messi and Kobe over the other as a fan, not because one is right and the other wrong but preferences.

Anyways, how do you guys play fantasy for the BPL? Im pretty interested but know absolutely nothing about the scoring/category system.

Was going to post this as well, pretty :smokin:

I was in Seattle last week, I was shocked at how passionate those people were about the Seattle Sounders, was pretty dope to see that in the US over an American Soccer team. Looked up tickets for the game vs Portland, and YIKES :smh: Even the nosebleeds were expensive.

In regards to the Messi/Ronaldo comments, I also found the comments interesting; I've actually only seen Zlatan's interview. However I can see how one can say Messi is a bit more natural because his touch and handling is unreal. Cristiano is a natural in my eyes as well, but definitely more flashy and technical.

I appreciate and love watching both though. Oh and Zlatan is underrated :smokin

Last edited:
One thing I just want to point out: Messi looks "natural"/"effortless" to us because of the work he put in as a youngster--playing around and sleeping with the ball to the point that it became almost an appendage of his body. Again, Messi being a "natural" doesn't mean he had to put in any less work than Ronaldo (if anything, given his small frame, it could be argued that he had to put in more to reach where he's at). 

At the end of the day, if that quote Zlatan said (i.e. Messi > Ronaldo just because he's a "natural") is true, he's an idiot. If the end states are comparable, who the **** cares what proportion is due to "talent" and what proportion is due to training? That's like faulting an athlete for training hard and adding to his/her arsenal of moves...

The whole messi "natural" logic only highlights how much more focused/committed CR7 is to his craft.. only makes me wonder about Messi's effort.

Wenger has said that he won't be signing a new striker but is looking to sign a DM, GK and considering a CB.

The Khedira deal...whatever was there is off

Just announced, that his goal gainst Uru. is the goal of the tournament
Still think RVPs header was better

Just wondering... it's pronounced "ha-mes" and not "James", right? 
I get he wants everyone to pronouce it the way you would in Spanish but he was named after bond.. should be ok with being called james

Wenger has said that he won't be signing a new striker but is looking to sign a DM, GK and considering a CB.

The Khedira deal...whatever was there is off
but wouldnt Sami cover the DM role? is wages really the issue?

Spent all weekend painting my living room so I missed some friendlies this weekend.

DVR'd the Barca friendly against second division (Segunda) Recreativo. Got to watch this late last night. Enrique had a lot of the B team called up for this. Very sluggish game which Barca won 0-1.

First half only featured 3 first team players; keeper Jordi Masip, Martin Montoya, & Sergi Roberto. It also featured some B players I wanted to see like Halilovic, CB Edgar Ie, CB Frank Bagnack, & Adama Traore.

Halilovic looked really comfortable out on the pitch with his new squad. He almost scored. Traore looked really active on the pitch too. He was always attacking.

The second half featured the likes of Gerry Deulofeu, new keeper Ter Stegen, Marc Bartra, & others. Gerry looked really really good on the pitch & was active on both sides of the pitch. The only thing Recreativo could do to stop Gerry was to foul him.

He unleashed a shot on from the left side which Recreativo’s keeper was able to make a nice save on, but the ball rebounded to Joan Roman who dropped it in the net. Gerry was able to get off another thunderous shot towards the end of the game but hit the crossbar.

It wasn't sexy, but not bad after less than a week of training. Not used to the new crimson red away kits but they looked alright.

Edit - adding some footage available from the friendly. Barca's YT page didn't have full match highlights though... One of the vids has Halilovic footage in case anyone is interested in. Man, the "kids" from the B squad look so young (or is it that I'm getting so old)... Nike loves giving their football teams the Pegasus running shoe to wear don't they?

Last edited:
Damn, Negredo out 2 months due to a fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot... Damn, :smh:

Chatter about Daley Blind coming to Camp Nou... Never thought Ajax would give him up yet especially after a solid performance in the WC... Would love this signing... He's apparently in Barcelona on "holiday".... :x :D

I wonder if messi was 6'2, athletic like cristiano what would people say. I think alot of people look at his short stature and almost feel like because of that, he gets upped a few points

Goal.com is reporting Mohamed Salah is excused from mandatory military service in Egypt. He was going to have to serve anywhere from a minimum of 1 year & a mmax of up to 3 years.

Juve just annouced the Evra signing.
Not sure what they think he'll provide...

Evra will do fine in a slightly slower paced league where experience is valued over youth.

Evra was only really problematic for United in his finals years cause he was playing a hell of a lot of games for someone of his age, the pace of the game caught up with him time after time.

Back
Top Bottom