The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Messi winning in Brazil at his peak would be legendary.

I hope this doesn't cause a thread derailing argument, but do you guys have Maradona in your top 3 all time?

I never caught Maradona play besides highlights and a preseason match against the Cosmos
laugh.gif
but from the research I've done there's no way he's better than Pele, Messi, or CR7. Don't know why Maradona/Pele was ever even a debate. He had that monster run in '86 but never sustained a level of play and winning like that over his career.
Maradona is the greatest ever and there is no question about that.....,

Messi/Ronaldo/Ibra are the best today, but they aren't holding a candle to El Pibe

Pele is not even in question, he was to scared to play in Europe, the comparison should never be made

Youtubes not gonna translate that special something that Maradona had that would cause defenders legs to tremble and his ability to make everyone around him play better

View media item 737951

Messi/Ronaldo/Ibra are the best today, but they aren't holding a candle to El Pibe

Pele is not even in question, he was to scared to play in Europe, the comparison should never be made

Youtubes not gonna translate that special something that Maradona had that would cause defenders legs to tremble and his ability to make everyone around him play better

Brazil's league wasn't bad when he played. Him not playing in Europe is no reason at all to reject all of his accomplishments, his world cup successes is testament to his ability. Truly dislike when individuals want to reject everything he has done because he hasn't played in Europe.

View media item 737951

Brazil's league wasn't bad when he played. Him not playing in Europe is no reason at all to reject all of his accomplishments, his world cup successes is testament to his ability. Truly dislike when individuals want to reject everything he has done because he hasn't played in Europe.

Agree 100%. Through the years of being around soccer, i've noticed Mardona stans could be worse than any athlete to ever live

A blast from the past pics circa '87/'88 when Simeone played for Velez Sarsfield & Tata played for Newell's.

View media item 738179
Great La Liga football this weekend. Atleti vs Barca @ Vicente Calderon for the battle of first place.

Also have Villarreal vs Real Sociedad which is the battle between 6th & 5th place. Both are fighting to unseat Athletic Bilbao for the #4 CL spot .

Last edited:
Julian Green scored for Bayern in a friendly against Sudanese champs Al-Merrikh. The first vid is his goal. The second vid is a nice block on another attempt by Green to get a goal... He put on some muscle wight it looks like...

Rooney with a groin knock again.

Its hard to even laugh at United anymore.

Not really.

My-T.

"Spanish daily AS claims that the New York Red Bulls have made contact with Barcelona maestro Xavi Hernandez about a potential move to Major League Soccer. Xavi, who is contracted to Barca until 2016, recently said that his long-term future lies away from the Camp Nou, although by the end of his current contract he will be 36.

“Being tied to Barcelona is a privilege, but I don’t know what will happen in the future,” the midfielder said Thursday after being presented with a Fair Play award by the Barcelona Players Association. According to AS, Red Bulls striker Thierry Henry has been pushing his former teammate to join MLS."

I think it may have gotten lost in here...but Spurs did confirm yesterday that they've sold Jermain Defoe to Toronto FC. He's going to stay at Spurs (on loan, I guess) until end of February.

Dude isn't very active on Twitter (last tweet was on 12/5), but his most recent follow is Lanny Barby (Google, if you must).
I see you, Jermain. :lol:

I know Coupe was laughing about Bale's lack of keepie uppie skills at his RM introduction, but check out the 2.58 mark of of this vid. That's a nice piece of footwork there... Sorry, I don't know how to post gifs...

Messi winning in Brazil at his peak would be legendary.

I hope this doesn't cause a thread derailing argument, but do you guys have Maradona in your top 3 all time?

I never caught Maradona play besides highlights and a preseason match against the Cosmos :lol: but from the research I've done there's no way he's better than Pele, Messi, or CR7. Don't know why Maradona/Pele was ever even a debate. He had that monster run in '86 but never sustained a level of play and winning like that over his career.

Are you serious? Trolling?
Maradona is regarded as the best.
FIFA did a world wide poll in 2000 and Maradona won definitively.
Only people that think Pele is the best are Americans (cuz they only know Pele ans Beckham) and Old People who hated on Maradona like Jordan heads hate on Kobe/Lebron.

Edited
I forgot the controversy over it...FIFA did not realize how much more votes Maradona would get (Maradona wasnt a model citizen) so in 2000 they included FIFA officials and "coaches" in the poll and declared it a tie.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Player_of_the_Century

What a joke

Maradona is da best (nacho libre voice)

Last edited:
I can't believe there's a debate about D10S & Pele... :lol: Almost all of you have never seen either one play live. Truth be told, I can only say I was able to watch Maradona as the '86 WC was the first that I watched/followed. My old-school holy footy troika in no particular order is Pele, Maradona, & Cruyff.

I'd have to think long & hard with the more modern footballers though...

Shame about Bradley leaving European football, but obviously you can't blame him for taking the money. He was very solid in his backup role for Roma when he was given playing time - just not dynamic enough as a midfielder to warrant more responsibility.
Hopefully one of these teams stumps up this kind of money and brings a creative player like Ronaldinho to MLS. It's that kind of player who will help to further raise the profile of the sport in the US - a player that captures the imagination. If his achilles holds up, Xavi could come to MLS and run games into his 40s, but I would absolutely hate to see it. Xavi and Carles should retire donning the colors they were born to wear.

I never caught Maradona play besides highlights and a preseason match against the Cosmos :lol: but from the research I've done there's no way he's better than Pele, Messi, or CR7. Don't know why Maradona/Pele was ever even a debate. He had that monster run in '86 but never sustained a level of play and winning like that over his career.

:lol: I'm guessing 'research' involved looking up goal stats? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yours is absurd. There's a lot more to football than scoring goals, and the single most essential action in the game is the pass. Maradona is the greatest playmaker in history, with Pele being the greatest goal scorer - though both could basically do it all on a pitch. Messi likely has the most outstanding combination of the two skillsets since Cruyff, so when his career is over he'll likely be in the discussion. Then there's Di Stefano, Zidane, Platini, etc., and all these players were the hub of their teams' attacking play. CR is a great, but just a level below this.

Last edited:
@Everton: BREAKING: Everton agree a fee with Hull for permanent transfer of Nikica Jelavic and give permission for him to speak to the Tigers.

Re. Pele, that's complete nonsense. The Brazilian government took steps to prevent him from going to Europe - not that it matters in terms of his legacy. Partially so they could pay his wages, Santos basically stopped competing in Brazilian competitions in order to tour the world. And Pele dominated all the best European sides during that period. Beckenbauer called him the best he ever faced.
In the Intercontinental Cup (precursor to the Club World Cup) he destroyed the Benfica side featuring the late, great Eusebio. This the same Benfica that took down the Real Madrid side that won the European Cup five times in a row. Pele scored four or five goals in the tie.

I know you're a Napoli fan and all, but you don't have to denigrate Pele in order to big-up your own guy. Pele is arguably the GOAT, and there's a lot of history supporting that argument. Plenty of great documentaries out there for anyone who cares to learn.

Good point about Maradona. The greats raise the level of their teammates, but Maradona did it like no other.

Last edited:
Hull should go for Cisse now, too. Sign all those strikers that were hot two years ago. :lol:
Where's that dude Pogrebnyak at? Reading? Get him too.

The Premiere League show on NBC Sports is top notch. Great stories with excellent production value. I wish there was a show like that for La Liga.

I don't like the trashy Euro circa 90s vibe beIN Sport has... I feel like I'm watching som melodramatic Italian show when I'm watching beIN...

:lol: I'm guessing 'research' involved looking up goal stats? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yours is absurd. There's a lot more to football than scoring goals, and the single most essential action in the game is the pass. Maradona is the greatest playmaker in history, with Pele being the greatest goal scorer - though both could basically do it all on a pitch. Messi likely has the most outstanding combination of the two skillsets since Cruyff, so when his career is over he'll likely be in the discussion. Then there's Di Stefano, Zidane, Platini, etc., and all these players were the hub of their teams' attacking play. CR is a great, but just a level below this.

why would it not at least involve looking up goal stats :lol: but it seems like you're implying that's all I've done and that's just not true.

i've watched documentaries and done a decent amount of reading as well, and from that (maybe mistakenly) come to the conclusion that his '86 world cup run elevated him to a god-like level for an entire generation that causes him to be rated over players he wasn't better than.

I've admitted multiple times that I don't follow footy like a lot of the people here do, I'm 90% basketball. but that doesn't make me an ignorant moron to understanding the game. I asked the question because I know there are knowledgeable people in this thread (like you, unfortunately you're condescending, an elitist, and your inner barca fan causes some of your opinions to be biassed.)

If I pretended to know more than those in this thread, I never would have asked for other people's opinions here in the first place.

There are great midfielders and great defenders, and soccer is a passing game, but I've heard numerous analysts say that scoring goals is the most difficult and important part of the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom