The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Lamela should have never left Roma a season before the WC. He's had a more disappointing season than Mario Gomez at Fiorentina
mean.gif
**** that b!tch 
devil.gif

Last edited:
I've heard Tevez has been out of favor for years though and plus Argentina is way too stacked up front, I can see why hes left out. Doesnt Argentina play 4-3-3? I dont see why Mascherano is listed as mid, if anything he should bolster that weak back line with Garay or a CDM at the least.

I also feel that Ever Banega is a bit overrated. I would love to see Gaitan in his place or even Pastore. If Argentina would have a better keeper than Romero they would be my favorites going into Brazil. Never seen/heard much of Romero besides a few International Friendlys. They'll probably have to rely on the counter and offensive scoring to get em out of games.

Its so crazy how you could have a great 3 years but the year before the WC, if you had a down year, you wont make the squad if your home country is elite.

I've heard Tevez has been out of favor for years though and plus Argentina is way too stacked up front, I can see why hes left out. Doesnt Argentina play 4-3-3? I dont see why Mascherano is listed as mid, if anything he should bolster that weak back line with Garay or a CDM at the least.

I also feel that Ever Banega is a bit overrated. I would love to see Gaitan in his place or even Pastore. If Argentina would have a better keeper than Romero they would be my favorites going into Brazil. Never seen/heard much of Romero besides a few International Friendlys. They'll probably have to rely on the counter and offensive scoring to get em out of games.

Mascherano and Gago are defensive midfielders...thats where they are stars. They are playmakers that happen to be good at recovering the ball. Mascherano has rarely been able to play his position at the club level/Barca.

Also the mid doesnt have to be steller. Messi and Dimaria will be the bridge between the decent mid and Aguero/Higuain. The mid just has to recover balls for messi and dimaria. I agree Maxi is old but he plays agressive and you need him and mascherano for some character on a finesse team.

Last edited:
Ever Banega is overrated. Gago has been trash for years now. Maxi is old. Worst of all, no Tevez. Messi made sure Tevez wasn't on this squad.

Gago is reliable when he plays for the Nat.
I was bummed about Tevez but his departure marked the turn around of this squad. If youve played sports you know there are times when there are too many stars on the team and you start tripping over each other. Messi and Tevez seem to overlap too much and Messi ends up changing routes to accomadate him.Tevez as a late sub would have been nice but oh well we have been looking good without him lately. Messi plays better with Higuain, Aguero and the lackluster Lavezzi (Nat team)

Last edited:
I think it's too much finesse for a team like Argentina to win the World Cup. Of course they're one of the favorites - they always are. they also have an easy group and potentially an easy playoff round until the final 8. But I just don't see them winning it. That Defense may look okay on paper, but it's there approach on defense can get them in trouble. Not enough physicality and strength for a competition like the World Cup. Too be honest man, the World Cup for all it's glory and popularity, we see some very cautious and safe football which like many of y'all complain about is -"parking the bus"

My top 3 favorites are 1) Brasil 2) Germany 3) Spain

The people are ready

Our Line up is ready
Arqueros: Sergio Romero, Mariano Andújar, Agustín Orion.

Defensores: Ezequiel Garay, Federico Fernández, Pablo Zabaleta, Marcos Rojo, José Bassanta, Hugo Campagnaro, Nicolás Otamendi.

Mediocampistas: Fernando Gago, Lucas Biglia, Javier Mascherano, Ever Banega, Ángel Di María, Maxi Rodríguez, Ricky Álvarez.

Delanteros: Sergio Agüero, Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuaín, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Rodrigo Palacio.

Nice to see Basanta included. No Tevez :smh:

Very interested in belgiums squad. I know they'll be vegas favorite darkhorse but im worried they fold under expectations

Pastore's year wasnt all that which leads to why he might of been left out for Brazil. I try to watch a few of PSG games throughout the season and he was always subbed off or on and rarely played a full 90. Scored 1 league goal and that Champions League stoppage time goal against Chelsea which I thought was the nail in the casket.

Really dissapointing now that I think about it. His better years were last year and the year before. PSG's midfield is just too stacked with Motta, Matuidi, Verrati and Cabaye. He was linked to a move to Liverpool back in January which I think might of been better for his WC aspirations.

*edit - just saw that you asked about Biglia's year and not Pastore's :lol: its too early in the morning

Last edited:
That's an interesting squad for Argentina. I can see Masche and Gago just breaking up play, and the defense just swooping in on loose balls. It's a shame that Masche can't star in the def mid role at Barca, but with Busquets, you can't even hate.

They should have given my man Riquelme a shot in the midfield 
ohwell.gif

People have said their defense isn't strong enough, but I think Argentina can win the WC this year.

Barca has been gifted an attempt to win the league this year. While I don't expect them to win, it will take leadership, grit, determination, & a sense of urgency which is something I haven't seen from the squad this campaign. Will be keeping my fingers crossed...
eyes.gif
I got a feeling Messi will want to end this season on a high note, especially if he just got that new contract. It's really Barcelona's title to lose.

Having said that, Elche hasn't lost a home match since December, meaning Barca will have to come out guns blazing.

I got a feeling Messi will want to end this season on a high note, especially if he just got that new contract. It's really Barcelona's title to lose.

Having said that, Elche hasn't lost a home match since December, meaning Barca will have to come out guns blazing.

Tata had his side playing really well the first half of the campaign. Even without Messi, the side was playing with confidence & players that had been struggling or inconsistent were playing well.

Tata's signature win was against City at the Etihad in the CL. 4 midfielders, 2 up front. Winning the possession battle that resulted in away goals (& a little luck that fell Barca's way).

This second half has been abysmal. No width up front, no pressure higher up the pitch, some of the line-ups & substitutions Tata has made, & not to mention the problems in the back. The rotation policy seemed a little too aggressive at times too. Tata's use of La Pulga once he came back from injury was questionable at times too (on the wing?!?!).

I've always had the impression that the board prevented things Tata really wanted to do though. I also think there is a faction in the locker room that privately didn't back Tata either.

Enrique would be an interesting hire. His Roma side looked horrible. Trying to create a Barca atmosphere in Italy was a disaster. His Celta side didn't look too well early on but is playing well now. He's very aggressive so it would be interesting to see how all the players take to him should he get hired.

Tata had his side playing really well the first half of the campaign. Even without Messi, the side was playing with confidence & players that had been struggling or inconsistent were playing well.

Tata's signature win was against City at the Etihad in the CL. 4 midfielders, 2 up front. Winning the possession battle that resulted in away goals (& a little luck that fell Barca's way).

This second half has been abysmal. No width up front, no pressure higher up the pitch, some of the line-ups & substitutions Tata has made, & not to mention the problems in the back. The rotation policy seemed a little too aggressive at times too. Tata's use of La Pulga once he came back from injury was questionable at times too (on the wing?!?!).

I've always had the impression that the board prevented things Tata really wanted to do though. I also think there is a faction in the locker room that privately didn't back Tata either.

Enrique would be an interesting hire. His Roma side looked horrible. Trying to create a Barca atmosphere in Italy was a disaster. His Celta side didn't look too well early on but is playing well now. He's very aggressive so it would be interesting to see how all the players take to him should he get hired.
I agree, Tata has been suspect this second half. Lot's of questionable decisions in big games with his rotation and subs. Messi out on the wing works, but only if there is a point, which we don't really have (maybe Alexis?). He did well out on the wings with Rijkard, but it wasn't until he became the false 9 where he really came out into his own world. 

I like the Enrique hire solely on his Barcelona roots. He knows the system, the philosophy, and the club. He could restore was Barca has been lacking these last 2 years. 

BUT, i want Tata to get one more year. Looking back, he came in with a lot of extra baggage he probably wasn't expecting. Between injuries, the Neymar fiasco, the board, adapting to Europe, lack of input on transfers, etc, i feel he was put in a difficult position and towards the later end of the season, he lost a bit of control. Like you said, he started off great, which makes me think if he came back with some fresh players coming in and cleaning up some dead weight, he might be able to shake things up at Barca, which IMO, they need.

Back
Top Bottom