The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

For the Gooners: :lol:

Each Arsenal season is like watching last season back again. In fact, even if I say "even in a season where every team in the league bottled it, Arsenal still managed to bottle it by comparison" it's still basically the same thing I said two years ago. Attempting to address their lack of bottle, by signing world-famous and known bottler Mezut Ozil...who then bafflingly received ALL of the blame when Arsenal bottled it. Hopes were high early on. Fans became arrogant and obnoxious. Piers Morgan resurfaced. Pundits foolishly talked of Arsenal as a genuine threat. Then they flexed their true title credentials, visiting their three main title rivals and only losing about 16-3 on aggregate, managing to concede 6 goals against a Chelsea side who were basically deliberately trying not to score, and cowering from the challenge like someone going without dinner because they're too scared to answer the door to the pizza delivery man. It's not even funny anymore. So predictable that even Paul Scholes, who never says anything, about anything, can appear on television and casually pick apart everything wrong with Arsenal, without so much as a stutter. Paul Scholes also accused Jack Wilshere of not improving at all since he first burst onto the scene, which if anything is slightly harsh on the younger Jack Wilshere, because at least no one had realised how much of a prick he is back then.

Verdict: 7/10 At the start of the season Arsenal fans wanted Wenger out. Then he spent £40m on a player who ultimately turned out to be completely pointless, and Arsenal produced exactly the same sort of season they always do, and now they all love Wenger again.

Last edited:
"against a Chelsea side who were basically deliberately trying not to score"

That was great
laugh.gif

no Theo in the call up
tired.gif
how long has he been out now?

Liverpool...

No one will forget the galling, moving image of unapologetic racist Luis Suarez weeping uncontrollably, having failed to win a League title with the team he cares about so much, he spent all summer desperately trying to leave them. Liverpool have invented an interesting new concept this season. The concept of "deserving" to win a prize you're competing for and which there is nothing stopping you from winning, but without actually having to win it. Presumably at the next Olympics, Usain Bolt can now just stand on the starting line in the 100m final, and wait for the gold medal he deserves to run up the track to him? Most baffling about this theory (which has been rammed repeatedly down everyone's throats), is that Gerrard has been bestowed with this sense of entitlement more than anyone else...the man whose lack of non brainless leadership qualities and inability to keep his nerve, is one of the main reasons Liverpool didn't win the league.

Another thing that's been rammed repeatedly down everyone's throats, is the constant claim from Liverpool supporting people that "all the neutrals" want Liverpool to win the league. If you look up the word neutral in the dictionary, it becomes clear this is akin to claiming the Nazis were neutral during the second world war. Furthermore, this claim actually pushed me from being relatively neutral, to actively wanting Liverpool not to win it, because like most normal people, I don't like being told what I'm allowed to think...especially not when it involves cheering for Luis Suarez.

Liverpool have scored 101 goals in the league this season. An actually remarkably impressive tally, matched only by the combined number of "Spanish" dives Sturridge and Suarez manage to conjure up between them, per game.

Suarez can however take some comfort in between balling into his pillow, in knowing Liverpool are one of about two teams in the entire league who have actually improved in any significant way at all since last season.

Food for thought: Remember the time a title chasing Manchester United were awarded 3 (THREE) penalties at Anfield in one game, and cheated to get the Liverpool captain sent off, and received praise as a result instead of it initiating some mass conspiracy hysteria? No, neither do I.

Verdict: 9/10 "yeah but they didn't have the Champions League to worry about", "they got lucky with injuries"...blah blah blah. No one expected Liverpool to get into the top four, then no one expected them to stay there. Then no one expected them to be in the title race, then even when they were, no one expected them to stay there or win it, then when everyone finally started thinking they could, they immediately screwed it up. Still...

USA 30-man roster:

GOALKEEPERS: Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

The only player I care to make the final squad is Wondolowski. Dude is criminally underrated and honestly, I think Jozy is a bum more often than not (Fernando Torres-esque) :lol:

Costa to the blues is a done deal
£32 million looks to be the confirmed fee. I still think Jose should look for at least one more option up front. I miss the days when we would play Anelka and Drogba up top. 

Also looks like Adam Lallana has agreed to a £20 million to Liverpool

Last edited:
Oliver Kay
‏@OliverKayTimes
Confirmed: Tony Pulis is Premier League manager of the year (voted for by LMA, ie fellow managers)

Southampton reject Man United’s £27m bid for Luke Shaw [Guardian]

they trippin westbrook.jpg

im confident he will come.. Im hearing 30 for strootman, which would just emphasize how horrible woodward is.. could have had him 17 mil last summer

Citizens...

For the second time in three years, Manchester City win the league by completely bottling it like a bunch of fannies and throwing it away, only to have it handed back to them when their title rivals inexplicably do exactly the same thing. A team who could blow any side away at home...until opposition teams actually started turning up there at which point it turned out that they couldn't. A team that extracted revenge for its shock FA cup final defeat by Wigan, by going out of the FA Cup, at home, to Wigan. A team criticised for being almost completely reliant on whom pundits claimed to be its one key player....Sergio Aguero...and David Silva...and Yaya Toure...and Joe Har...whatever. Other notable players include Demichellis. A man who spent most of the season taking the blame for Vincent Kompany's constant mistakes, which would then somehow be used to praise Vincent Kompany...a man pundits claimed to be City's one key player. Witness also as Manchester City drive home their dominant local support, by failing to sell out their stadium for key title deciding games, top-tier Champions League fixtures, and generally any game that takes place at any time. Mystery remains as to what Javi Garcia actually does, whether Dzecko is amazing or really terrible, and why Pellegrini always looks like he's just stubbed cigarettes into both of his eyes.

Verdict - 7/10 Occasionally brilliant, often underwhelming, and mentally naive...but with Yaya Toure instead of Joe Allen/Mikel/injured Jack Wilshere.

Lol @ the Mourinho analysis. Funny stuff. I seriously don't think there is a more polarizing football person in the world. Everyone he goes newspapers and and media just lust for him.

I try to picture someone like Mourinho being a head coach of an American football team and just how crazy the NFL and media would just turn on its head lol.

That dude from Celtic carrying the kid around was something nice, my little bro has disabilities so I can understand. Very touching.

they trippin westbrook.jpg

im confident he will come.. Im hearing 30 for strootman, which would just emphasize how horrible woodward is.. could have had him 17 mil last summer
the guy is coming off of major knee surgery give us a discount. crazy how we zoned in on cesc, alcantara, and fellaini, but he was the one that would of came in cheaper and was interested, now he costs just as much. stupid. 

Lol @ the Mourinho analysis. Funny stuff. I seriously don't think there is a more polarizing football person in the world. Everyone he goes newspapers and and media just lust for him.

I try to picture someone like Mourinho being a head coach of an American football team and just how crazy the NFL and media would just turn on its head lol.

That dude from Celtic carrying the kid around was something nice, my little bro has disabilities so I can understand. Very touching.

Steve Spurrier probably the closest thing America has to a Mourinho

Back
Top Bottom