The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-alvaro-morata-2998677

The other option is the Russian market.

Arsenal are exploring whether there are players at cash-strapped clubs they could sign for a loan fee and their wages. They have looked at Rubin Kazan's Salomon Rondon in the past, but could face competition for his signature from Tottenham this month.

Monaco striker Lacina Traore - who has just joined them from hard-up Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala - has been offered around the Premier League, with struggling West Ham keen.

But it would appear that unless Wenger can do a short term loan or get one of his priority targets, he will wait until the summer.

It is a major gamble as to whether Arsenal have enough cover in the squad, but it seems certain that while Wenger is prepared to break the bank again - he will only do so for the right player, and that opportunity may not arise this month.

Arsenal after Yilmaz
http://m.spor24.eu/haber/4459-buraka-arsenal-kancasi

@samuelj29060 Roma have officially signed highly-rated Cagliari midfielder Radja Nainggolan on loan. Option to co-own included
- Wenger has requested a full report from his scouts on Sporting Lisbon's highly-rated midfielder William Carvalho: http://bit.ly/1aD2x65

Liverpool have agreed a 'first-option' deal with Derby for Will Hughes (Daily Mirror)

Last edited:
@samuelj29060 Roma have officially signed highly-rated Cagliari midfielder Radja Nainggolan on loan. Option to co-own included
- Wenger has requested a full report from his scouts on Sporting Lisbon's highly-rated midfielder William Carvalho: http://bit.ly/1aD2x65

Liverpool have agreed a 'first-option' deal with Derby for Will Hughes (Daily Mirror)

Roma signed Nainggolan? :wow:

To think I was positive he would go to Napoli or Inter.

This may just give us a shot.

Read in the Portuguese papers Wenger was scouting Carvalho, I think it's too early for the kid, needs a but more time.

No idea why Wenger would be looking for more midfielders either.

How on earth did Schalke sign Sam for 2.5EUR?? Especially when a certain Scotsman signed a big Belgian for 27m??

Sam

2013-14 apps: 18 goals: 11
2012-13 apps: 28 goals: 5
2011-12 apps: 25 goals: 6

Big Belgian

2013-14 apps: 15 goals: 1
2012-13 apps: 36 goals: 12
2011-12 apps: 43 goals: 5

@OptaFranz: 18 – In 2013-14 Sidney Sam was directly involved in 18 goals (11 goals, 7 assists) in 19 competitive matches for Bayer 04 Leverkusen. Value.

@WhoScored: Sidney Sam: Leverkusen have scored 2.3 goals per game in the Bundesliga this season with Sam starting, compared to 0.8 per game without him

Why are you even comparing Fellaini to Sam? They are totally different players that would fill entirely different needs in United's squad.

I do think Liverpool would have done well to sign him though. Would have been a good signing for the squad.

I think Draxler to Arsenal (which obviously would come in the summer and not now) would be a real sign of intent. Buying Ozil who is the finished product for that fee is one thing, but buying out Draxler for €45m for a player who is still developing and in an area that isn't the most in need of upgrading would be another entirely. I really believe that we would see a big bid for Zouma before Draxler TBH.

Why are you even comparing Fellaini to Sam? They are totally different players that would fill entirely different needs in United's squad.

I do think Liverpool would have done well to sign him though. Would have been a good signing for the squad.

I think Draxler to Arsenal (which obviously would come in the summer and not now) would be a real sign of intent. Buying Ozil who is the finished product for that fee is one thing, but buying out Draxler for €45m for a player who is still developing and in an area that isn't the most in need of upgrading would be another entirely. I really believe that we would see a big bid for Zouma before Draxler TBH.

I'm comparing two experienced midfielders, and the costs associated with them. I didn't say they were an exact man for man match.

But it clearly shows a problem when a good midfielder with great potential is selling for 2.5, while another decent midfielder is sold for 27. And since he's the only signing that United made, it's natural I'd look at Fellaini. Besides, last season 28 of 31 appearances, Fellaini was played as a second striker or attacking midfielder. So again, I think it's fair to discuss a player who's been playing as attacking midfielder, to another attacking midfielder.

It's a shame, cause I know Woodward and Moyes will go off and blow stupid cash like 40m on Barkley.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom