The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

Originally Posted by Demps

Is mexico the best team on this side of the pond and are they top 5?

If your definition means everything west of the England, South America is on this side so no. Probably between 10-15th best

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

If your definition means everything west of the England, South America is on this side so no. Probably between 10-15th best
You think there are 9-14 teams better than Mexico in South America?
That's absurd. 

That's absurd. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

That's absurd. 

Especially considering there's only 10 countries in CONMEBOL.
laugh.gif

That's absurd. 

Especially considering there's only 10 countries in CONMEBOL.
laugh.gif

That's absurd. 
9-14 better world wide, unless his question was top 5 this side of the Atlantic (but I'm pretty sure he asked top 5 world wide).

That's absurd. 
9-14 better world wide, unless his question was top 5 this side of the Atlantic (but I'm pretty sure he asked top 5 world wide).

yeah, i meant be if they are top 5 world wide.

imo mexico is the best team between conmebol and concacaf..the only thing that team is missin is a better lb and goalie.that offense if @#!!%!$ scary...I still think marcos fabian deserves a look though..

imo mexico is the best team between conmebol and concacaf..the only thing that team is missin is a better lb and goalie.that offense if @#!!%!$ scary...I still think marcos fabian deserves a look though..

Ochoa's going to a pretty bad team French Ligue 1 club,  so he's going be tested much more than he was at Club America.

Ochoa's going to a pretty bad team French Ligue 1 club,  so he's going be tested much more than he was at Club America.

In that case I agree with ShaunHill, I'd say they're top 10-15.
They have the potential to be higher with their young talent, but right now I think they're 10-15.

And it'd still be tough to argue that they're better than Argentina or Brazil or Uruguay. Then you have Spain, Holland, Germany, Italy. The next group of South Korea, Ghana, Serbia, England, France, Portugal, etc. 

There are a lot of good teams in the world. Mexico could claim its spot in the top 5 or top 10 with  strong performances at the Confed and World Cup in Brazil, but for now I think they're somewhere between 10 and 15.

In that case I agree with ShaunHill, I'd say they're top 10-15.
They have the potential to be higher with their young talent, but right now I think they're 10-15.

And it'd still be tough to argue that they're better than Argentina or Brazil or Uruguay. Then you have Spain, Holland, Germany, Italy. The next group of South Korea, Ghana, Serbia, England, France, Portugal, etc. 

There are a lot of good teams in the world. Mexico could claim its spot in the top 5 or top 10 with  strong performances at the Confed and World Cup in Brazil, but for now I think they're somewhere between 10 and 15.

Was having a similar discussion with friends last night about teams that are better than Brazil & Argentina at the moment. I'd say Mexico's A team is probably the best squad this side the Atlantic. You could argue Uruguay but those teams are 1 & 1A at the moment right now (why is Diego Godin not playing?). I think Chile is in the mix, FWIW I think not having Beausejour last night hurt them a lot. He isn't a game changer like Sanchez but he's a key player in the side IMO

On the real, I would be concerned about Argentina qualifying for 2014 if I'm a fan of them. This team is a mess. Clearly Batista needs to be out but after that, someone needs to re-shape the side. They need a real tactician that will command respect.

Was having a similar discussion with friends last night about teams that are better than Brazil & Argentina at the moment. I'd say Mexico's A team is probably the best squad this side the Atlantic. You could argue Uruguay but those teams are 1 & 1A at the moment right now (why is Diego Godin not playing?). I think Chile is in the mix, FWIW I think not having Beausejour last night hurt them a lot. He isn't a game changer like Sanchez but he's a key player in the side IMO

On the real, I would be concerned about Argentina qualifying for 2014 if I'm a fan of them. This team is a mess. Clearly Batista needs to be out but after that, someone needs to re-shape the side. They need a real tactician that will command respect.

Originally Posted by RuffRydya08

What are you basing that on though (Mexico's A squad being better than Brazil and Argentina)?
Argentina beat Mexico in the World Cup just last year. Yeah, there was a botched offside call, but Argentina took a 3-0 lead on them before they pulled one back. Uruguay also beat Mexico in that tournament.

I understand that Mexico ran through the Gold Cup, but that tournament is basically a joke that highlights just how weak CONCACAF really is. There is really not much to take away from that tournament other than the fact that Mexico is clearly the class of CONCACAF. 

So basically, all we have to go on is "potential," and it certainly looks bright, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say that Mexico is better than Brazil and Argentina based on friendlies and the Gold Cup. 

Originally Posted by RuffRydya08

What are you basing that on though (Mexico's A squad being better than Brazil and Argentina)?
Argentina beat Mexico in the World Cup just last year. Yeah, there was a botched offside call, but Argentina took a 3-0 lead on them before they pulled one back. Uruguay also beat Mexico in that tournament.

I understand that Mexico ran through the Gold Cup, but that tournament is basically a joke that highlights just how weak CONCACAF really is. There is really not much to take away from that tournament other than the fact that Mexico is clearly the class of CONCACAF. 

So basically, all we have to go on is "potential," and it certainly looks bright, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say that Mexico is better than Brazil and Argentina based on friendlies and the Gold Cup. 

Better than Uruguay isn't laughable after seeing the horrible squad play them. Definitely not better than Argentina or Brazil.

Back
Top Bottom