The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

Hope Solo/Alex Morgan on First Take...Solo is
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Not particularly. Xavi by a country mile. 
Xavi is great and all but Eto'o scored 37 goals in 50 games. Just saying. 
Hell I'd personally vote for Eto'o. 
Sammy is one of my favorite players, but scoring goals is not the end-all of footballing performance. Xavi is one of the greatest CM of all time coming off another imperious year, and is head and shoulders above those other candidates in terms of on-pitch influence, recent success, and skill.
Eto'o was the whole Inter team last year. Not saying he had more of an impact than Xavi did, but to say he was just 'scoring goals' is not giving him enough credit.

Sammy is one of my favorite players, but scoring goals is not the end-all of footballing performance. Xavi is one of the greatest CM of all time coming off another imperious year, and is head and shoulders above those other candidates in terms of on-pitch influence, recent success, and skill.
Eto'o was the whole Inter team last year. Not saying he had more of an impact than Xavi did, but to say he was just 'scoring goals' is not giving him enough credit.

Like I said Xavi is great, much of that is true, some of it debatable.

From a strictly individual standpoint looking at the 10/11 season, there's simply no way you can convince me that Xavi performed head and shoulders above Samuel.

I'm not even saying Eto'o deserves to win (even though I'd vote him just cause), just that his performance this season puts him in the running.

My guy is being slighted
laugh.gif
, of course simply "scoring goals" isn't the end all be all of performance, there's also the importance and magnitude of those goals... oh and assist, something Eto'o did more of than Xavi this year. 

I'm just saying, if we were not at the absolute peak of the late Barcelona awe, Eto'o would have walked away with this.

I'm actually curious to know the last +30 year-old to score +30 in all competitions. 
nerd.gif

Definitely not slighting Eto'o, I think he was one of the best and most valuable players in Europe last season. Just saying Xavi is rather clear cut in my opinion. Fact is Barca is being hailed as one of the greatest teams of all time, if not the greatest, and Xavi is the heartbeat of the side. Goals and assists mean nothing when judging a controlling playmaker, as he operates in the middle third and controls the tempo and flow of the Barca attack. You can't quantify such influence. At 31, the guy is the best midfielder in the world. 
I believe the last 30+ player to score 30+ was Drogba the season before last. He had around 40+. 
sick.gif

Like I said Xavi is great, much of that is true, some of it debatable.

From a strictly individual standpoint looking at the 10/11 season, there's simply no way you can convince me that Xavi performed head and shoulders above Samuel.

I'm not even saying Eto'o deserves to win (even though I'd vote him just cause), just that his performance this season puts him in the running.

My guy is being slighted
laugh.gif
, of course simply "scoring goals" isn't the end all be all of performance, there's also the importance and magnitude of those goals... oh and assist, something Eto'o did more of than Xavi this year. 

I'm just saying, if we were not at the absolute peak of the late Barcelona awe, Eto'o would have walked away with this.

I'm actually curious to know the last +30 year-old to score +30 in all competitions. 
nerd.gif

Definitely not slighting Eto'o, I think he was one of the best and most valuable players in Europe last season. Just saying Xavi is rather clear cut in my opinion. Fact is Barca is being hailed as one of the greatest teams of all time, if not the greatest, and Xavi is the heartbeat of the side. Goals and assists mean nothing when judging a controlling playmaker, as he operates in the middle third and controls the tempo and flow of the Barca attack. You can't quantify such influence. At 31, the guy is the best midfielder in the world. 
I believe the last 30+ player to score 30+ was Drogba the season before last. He had around 40+. 
sick.gif

its a tough one to pick really

like i said, xavi is certainly the favorite. but lets not forget eto won the treble two years in a row, and continues to be one of the most efficient players in europe. Along with that, giggsy (as keepie uppie

has already pointed out
pimp.gif
) has won the premier league 12 times, 12..Put that together with the fact that at 37 he is still playing competitive football, even zizou and ronaldo retired at 34. Also, raul is the

champions league all time goal scorer with 76 goals, and scored 19 goals just last season with schalke (the most scored out of all nominees). i mean, its not as clear cut as i think you are making it out to

be...but dont get me wrong im already expecting xavi to win it, and im not mad about it, but i think others (particularly giggs, eto, puyol, and raul) make it hard for me to think xavi is the obvious winner..

its a tough one to pick really

like i said, xavi is certainly the favorite. but lets not forget eto won the treble two years in a row, and continues to be one of the most efficient players in europe. Along with that, giggsy (as keepie uppie

has already pointed out
pimp.gif
) has won the premier league 12 times, 12..Put that together with the fact that at 37 he is still playing competitive football, even zizou and ronaldo retired at 34. Also, raul is the

champions league all time goal scorer with 76 goals, and scored 19 goals just last season with schalke (the most scored out of all nominees). i mean, its not as clear cut as i think you are making it out to

be...but dont get me wrong im already expecting xavi to win it, and im not mad about it, but i think others (particularly giggs, eto, puyol, and raul) make it hard for me to think xavi is the obvious winner..

Everyone appreciates what Xavi does, but at what point does the fact that he plays within the most talented offense in the history of the sport come into play? It's gotta help to have Iniesta besides you, Mascherano behind you, Messi and Villa in front of you, and Dani Alves making runs up your flank (pause).

I'm as big a Xavi fan as there is, but there's no way he wins this award by a "country mile" given what Eto'o and Raul and the other candidates have done. Props to whoever brought up Raul's season at Schalke. You could certainly make an argument for him or Eto'o. This is not a runaway situation.

Everyone appreciates what Xavi does, but at what point does the fact that he plays within the most talented offense in the history of the sport come into play? It's gotta help to have Iniesta besides you, Mascherano behind you, Messi and Villa in front of you, and Dani Alves making runs up your flank (pause).

I'm as big a Xavi fan as there is, but there's no way he wins this award by a "country mile" given what Eto'o and Raul and the other candidates have done. Props to whoever brought up Raul's season at Schalke. You could certainly make an argument for him or Eto'o. This is not a runaway situation.

If you look at it from that perspective, it goes both ways. Those players also benefit tremendously from having Xavi in the middle of the park, and his brilliance allows them to do what they do. Like you said, he plays in "the most talented offense in the history of the sport," but would they be that without him?

I just don't see how a CM who is one of the two best and most important players on a side regarded as one of the all time greatest in the 100 some odd years of the sport is not the clear cut winner of such an award. I guess that's just me. 
LOL @ Raul. We're comparing his performance and contribution last season to Xavi's? Really?

If you look at it from that perspective, it goes both ways. Those players also benefit tremendously from having Xavi in the middle of the park, and his brilliance allows them to do what they do. Like you said, he plays in "the most talented offense in the history of the sport," but would they be that without him?

I just don't see how a CM who is one of the two best and most important players on a side regarded as one of the all time greatest in the 100 some odd years of the sport is not the clear cut winner of such an award. I guess that's just me. 
LOL @ Raul. We're comparing his performance and contribution last season to Xavi's? Really?

I'm not comparing what Raul does to what Xavi does, I don't even know where you get that from what I said. I'm saying Raul's contributions in taking a team like Schalke to the semi-finals of the CL at this point in his career when many counted him out, standing on their own, are impressive enough that Xavi's work at Barca is not the only possible argument for this award. 

As has been said in this thread, there is no need for hyperbole. Xavi probably deserves this award, but not by a "country mile" or anything close to it. It's possible to recognize the achievements of other players while giving Xavi the respect he deserves.

I'm not comparing what Raul does to what Xavi does, I don't even know where you get that from what I said. I'm saying Raul's contributions in taking a team like Schalke to the semi-finals of the CL at this point in his career when many counted him out, standing on their own, are impressive enough that Xavi's work at Barca is not the only possible argument for this award. 

As has been said in this thread, there is no need for hyperbole. Xavi probably deserves this award, but not by a "country mile" or anything close to it. It's possible to recognize the achievements of other players while giving Xavi the respect he deserves.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "by a country mile," because obviously it was taken as a disparagement of the other nominees, but really I was just emphasizing Xavi's achievements. We can agree to disagree, but I think there's a clear and significant separation between Xavi's performance/contributions last season compared to the other aged 30+ candidates. And it's a performance award for players relative to other players, thus my remark on Raul.
Sidenote: Pep says they are in negotiations with Arsenal for Cesc. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "by a country mile," because obviously it was taken as a disparagement of the other nominees, but really I was just emphasizing Xavi's achievements. We can agree to disagree, but I think there's a clear and significant separation between Xavi's performance/contributions last season compared to the other aged 30+ candidates. And it's a performance award for players relative to other players, thus my remark on Raul.

pimp.gif
agreed.
About Cesc, I still don't understand why everyone is dying for him to go to Barca, including himself. How is he anymore useful there than he is to Spain? (Granted he gave Iniesta "the assist," but why go from the man on a great team in a great league to a bench player on another team? Are they buying him now for when Xavi retires? Or are they gonna reformulate their lineup just to fit him in? Unless I'm missing something I don't see why they don't let him stay at the Emirates for a couple more years.

pimp.gif
agreed.
About Cesc, I still don't understand why everyone is dying for him to go to Barca, including himself. How is he anymore useful there than he is to Spain? (Granted he gave Iniesta "the assist," but why go from the man on a great team in a great league to a bench player on another team? Are they buying him now for when Xavi retires? Or are they gonna reformulate their lineup just to fit him in? Unless I'm missing something I don't see why they don't let him stay at the Emirates for a couple more years.

UEFA/FIFA loves Spanish and especially Barca players...so yeah,Xavi's probably gonna win it...

but i strongly feel that Raul or Giggs deserves the award...

UEFA/FIFA loves Spanish and especially Barca players...so yeah,Xavi's probably gonna win it...

As stated by others I think Xavi will get it but others may be a tad more deserving given the level of talent surrounds them in comparison to the Barca midfielder. To me its kind of like when a RB and QB that are both in the running for the Heisman but the fact that they are on the same team somewhat hurts them compared to their competitors.

In other news the Tevez deal is off.  Corinthians citing not enough time to complete the deal before the Brazilian transfer window closes (Thursday 0400 BST).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/spo...hi/football/14213165.stm

As stated by others I think Xavi will get it but others may be a tad more deserving given the level of talent surrounds them in comparison to the Barca midfielder. To me its kind of like when a RB and QB that are both in the running for the Heisman but the fact that they are on the same team somewhat hurts them compared to their competitors.

In other news the Tevez deal is off.  Corinthians citing not enough time to complete the deal before the Brazilian transfer window closes (Thursday 0400 BST).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/spo...hi/football/14213165.stm

Keepie Uppie wrote:

Yeah they sure do. I'm sure this %$#$*$! got a promotion in part due to screwing us over and helping Barca progress in the CL.
[h1][/h1]
[h1]FIFA Make Villian Who Sent off Arsenal's Robin Van Persie Head of Referees[/h1]
109865512_crop_650x440.jpg

The referee who sent off Arsenal FC's talismanic striker, Robin Van Persie, in the Quarterfinal of the Champions League Quarter final second leg, has now been made FIFA's head of referees. Massimo Busacca, who harshly showed Van Persie his second yellow card in the 55th minute of a game still debatably in the balance at 1-1, has now been bestowed with the title Head of the FIFA Refereeing Department.

Many who recollect the moment can only wonder how a referee who made such an irrational error in judgement can claim to hold such a role within the most important governing body in football. The ball had been played through to Van Persie who was called offside by the linesman. Van Persie appeared to have not seen the flag or heard the referee's whistle and continued his action to attempt a shot at goal.

The ref saw this as petulance and time wasting and showed Van Persie his second yellow card of the game resulting in the player walking a painful trip down the tunnel to a lonely bath. Even critics of Van Persie in the incident can see that the overall decision was more than harsh considering the misdemeanour was barely a second after the whistle was blown.

This may appear to be small potatoes, but I am sure this news may have angered a few fans across the globe, especially Arsenal supporters.  Many people believe referees have always favoured Barcelona in the knock out stages of the Champions League indeed some paranoid Arsenal fans would go on to suggest helping Barcelona reach Champions League finals is a step up in the UEFA, and more importantly, FIFA rankings for a referee these days.

Indeed some paranoid Real Madrid fans may claim the same after seeing similar types of referee incidents going against them in both their semifinal legs against the Catalan giants. I'm sure many Chelsea fans and players would also have a few words to say about unfair officiating decisions that seem to occur against Barcelona, how can we forget the great words of Didier Drogba as he screamed angrily down the screen, "It's a fix."

I'm sure many agreed with Mr Drogba and it has become a growing concern with me that as FIFA and its delegates grow older thus the corruption and deceit amongst the organisation grows larger. Maybe I am being unfair and it has always been there except they were better at hiding it or we are better at finding it.  The rose tinted few would say there is no wrong doing within FIFA but with recent bung allegations regarding World Cup bids, you feel that may just be the tip of a colossal iceberg.

If FIFA behave in this way off field what is to say they don't behave in that manor on the field. There are still glaring problems in the game, such as goal line technology, that FIFA seem not to want to resolve for a long while yet. Surely the game is not outgrowing FIFA?

As for Busacca he has refereed two world cups(2006,2010), EURO 2008, Champions League final(2009), UEFA Cup final(2007), UEFA Super Cup final(2010) and over 250 matches in the AXPO Super League, the Swiss top flight. He has had a good career and the news of his appointment is not major but for me it does cast a shadow over this ageing super power, FIFA.

http://bleacherreport.com...-persie-head-of-referees

Keepie Uppie wrote:

Yeah they sure do. I'm sure this %$#$*$! got a promotion in part due to screwing us over and helping Barca progress in the CL.
[h1][/h1]
[h1]FIFA Make Villian Who Sent off Arsenal's Robin Van Persie Head of Referees[/h1]
109865512_crop_650x440.jpg

The referee who sent off Arsenal FC's talismanic striker, Robin Van Persie, in the Quarterfinal of the Champions League Quarter final second leg, has now been made FIFA's head of referees. Massimo Busacca, who harshly showed Van Persie his second yellow card in the 55th minute of a game still debatably in the balance at 1-1, has now been bestowed with the title Head of the FIFA Refereeing Department.

Many who recollect the moment can only wonder how a referee who made such an irrational error in judgement can claim to hold such a role within the most important governing body in football. The ball had been played through to Van Persie who was called offside by the linesman. Van Persie appeared to have not seen the flag or heard the referee's whistle and continued his action to attempt a shot at goal.

The ref saw this as petulance and time wasting and showed Van Persie his second yellow card of the game resulting in the player walking a painful trip down the tunnel to a lonely bath. Even critics of Van Persie in the incident can see that the overall decision was more than harsh considering the misdemeanour was barely a second after the whistle was blown.

This may appear to be small potatoes, but I am sure this news may have angered a few fans across the globe, especially Arsenal supporters.  Many people believe referees have always favoured Barcelona in the knock out stages of the Champions League indeed some paranoid Arsenal fans would go on to suggest helping Barcelona reach Champions League finals is a step up in the UEFA, and more importantly, FIFA rankings for a referee these days.

Indeed some paranoid Real Madrid fans may claim the same after seeing similar types of referee incidents going against them in both their semifinal legs against the Catalan giants. I'm sure many Chelsea fans and players would also have a few words to say about unfair officiating decisions that seem to occur against Barcelona, how can we forget the great words of Didier Drogba as he screamed angrily down the screen, "It's a fix."

I'm sure many agreed with Mr Drogba and it has become a growing concern with me that as FIFA and its delegates grow older thus the corruption and deceit amongst the organisation grows larger. Maybe I am being unfair and it has always been there except they were better at hiding it or we are better at finding it.  The rose tinted few would say there is no wrong doing within FIFA but with recent bung allegations regarding World Cup bids, you feel that may just be the tip of a colossal iceberg.

If FIFA behave in this way off field what is to say they don't behave in that manor on the field. There are still glaring problems in the game, such as goal line technology, that FIFA seem not to want to resolve for a long while yet. Surely the game is not outgrowing FIFA?

As for Busacca he has refereed two world cups(2006,2010), EURO 2008, Champions League final(2009), UEFA Cup final(2007), UEFA Super Cup final(2010) and over 250 matches in the AXPO Super League, the Swiss top flight. He has had a good career and the news of his appointment is not major but for me it does cast a shadow over this ageing super power, FIFA.

http://bleacherreport.com...-persie-head-of-referees

Back
Top Bottom