The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Originally Posted by ILLIONAIRE

Wait, why would Hulk go over to Chelsea when Porto plays Champions League football?
A team who is playing in the CL final in 5 days doesn't play CL football? 
lol. k 

Wait, why would Hulk go over to Chelsea when Porto plays Champions League football?

arnold_not_sure_if_serious_gif.gif

Was looking through Del Piero's farewell pics and realized I forgot how good looking his wife used to be
pimp.gif

_44663911_sonia2_del-pierojpg.jpg

scaled.php

still not that bad for an older woman
laugh.gif

553470_10150780364676227_326971266226_9999794_1026759333_n.jpg

United are the underdogs now. They will go into next season as underdogs for the title, and in their first fixture City will undoubtedly be favored by the bookies. Doubt anyone would say City are a bigger club or have more history, but they are the underdogs unless SAF can build a stronger side and overcome them. Obviously this is a huge ask, as City's spine is easily the strongest in the Premiership (Hart, Kompany, Toure, Aguero), and because they are set to address their main weakness of wide play with Hazard. Cover for Toure may be sought too, in case he leaves again for AFCON. United were able to get back in it because City's form slipped when Yaya left.

Unsurprisingly there isn't much from the British press on United incredibly choking away an 8 point lead - which I didn't think possible of a Ferguson-led side. Luckily for him he won't get much criticism because he already owns the media.

Sad and nostalgic to see so many greats I grew up watching leave European top flight - especially Alex Del Piero. Spent a part of my life in the UK, and grew up watching Football Italia on channel 4.
laugh.gif
Hard to believe, but he would often outshine Zizou on those sides. What a legend. So pleased to see him go out having helped bring yet another Scudetto to the Old Lady.

Underdog isn't even a disparaging term, so I don't know what the fuss is about. Just means the team less likely to win, and because every bookie in Europe will favor City over United on odds for next season's PL title as well as in the next head to head fixture, United are the underdogs between the two.

Your logic seems flawed, anyway. How can the last time United were underdogs be during Arsenal's invincible season? According to your logic, United should have been favorites that season because they were on top the year before. During that Arsenal cycle I believe they won the title twice in three years. Chelsea won back to back, yet United were never the underdog during that period? No one considered Chelsea stronger than United after they finished like 10 points clear for their second consecutive title? Stop. 

IMO City don't need cover for Silva, as Hazard is coming in. He and Nasri can play the same positions as Silva, and do a lot of the same things. Toure is unique, however. There isn't another player who can provide what he provides in City's midfield. He is essentially a DM, CM, AM, box to box mid, and playmaker rolled into one.

And LOL @ Liverpool spending 200m in one transfer window. That's absurd. Only Real would do such a thing.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Underdog isn't even a disparaging term, so I don't know what the fuss is about. Just means the team less likely to win, and because every bookie in Europe will favor City over United on odds for next season's PL title as well as in the next head to head fixture, United are the underdogs between the two.

Your logic seems flawed, anyway. How can the last time United were underdogs be during Arsenal's invincible season? According to your logic, United should have been favorites that season because they were on top the year before. During that Arsenal cycle I believe they won the title twice in three years. Chelsea won back to back, yet United were never the underdog during that period? No one considered Chelsea stronger than United after they finished like 10 points clear for their second consecutive title? Stop. 

IMO City don't need cover for Silva, as Hazard is coming in. He and Nasri can play the same positions as Silva, and do a lot of the same things. Toure is unique, however. There isn't another player who can provide what he provides in City's midfield. He is essentially a DM, CM, AM, box to box mid, and playmaker rolled into one.

And LOL @ Liverpool spending 200m in one transfer window. That's absurd. Only Real would do such a thing.
laugh.gif
Regarding my logic around the Invincible era.  I'm speaking of after Arsenal lifted that trophy going unbeaten.  At the time, United were underdogs because at that time, no one could have banked on United to beat Arsenal in a  match, let alone a season. 
I'll admit I jumped the gun on Chelsea.  I actually forgot the margins in which they won back to back titles. 
Fair play....Chelsea and Arsenal at the time had United and other teams as underdogs. 

As you mentioned, Chelsea won their season by large margins (as did Arsenal).  City this season got by on goal difference.  You're making it seem as though City are favorites cause they blew everyone away this season.  

All I'm trying to say is that City had a good season, let's not jump the gun and act as if they went on an Invincible run...

As for Liverpool, they've been guaranteed 60m, but apparently the owners feel that the Red Sox have done well financially, and they're going to rather invest heavily in LFC. 

Regarding Silva...

I agree, Nasri is a good player, but I just don't think he's as creative or influential as Silva.  You're right, Hazard is pretty much coming (which is the cover for Silva that I was saying was needed). 

Truth be told, I don't even know who they could find to back up Yaya, a player of his quality is rare. 

Wasn't jumping the gun. I'm just saying City are favorites because they will be favorites heading into next season as far as the bookies and most of the football watching population are concerned.

Even if they're only slight favorites (how big a favorite they are depends on who you ask), that would make United slight underdogs, which was the original point of contention. They've earned the right to be called favorites over MU based on their title this season, the quality/depth of their side, and the fact that they beat MU twice.
And Hazard isn't really being brought in as cover. His quality is such that he'll be in the regular XI as a striker/winger. A "cover buy" is more positional than functional. If you have players that can provide what Silva does (playmaking in the final third) than you don't need really need cover for that position in case he goes out. What they don't have is a top class pivot if Yaya leaves for AFCON or gets hurt. 

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

A team who is playing in the CL final in 5 days doesn't play CL football? 
lol. k 

You missed the point.
Doesn't Chelsea have to beat Bayern to qualify for next year's Champions League while Porto already has a confirmed slot in it?

Porto is a great club and I honestly don't see Chelsea beating Bayern.

Southhampton looking to pick up Jarvis from Wolves. 
Remy will only come to Tottenham is they qualify for CL (through Bayern winning). 

Athletico have put a 50m pound price tag on Falcao. (rumor: Chelsea are willing to offer Torres + 15m)

Liverpool looking to pick up Diame for free transfer. 

Chelsea looking into Demba Ba (take this with a bit of salt)

Arsenal offering 130k per week + 5m signing bonus to RVP. (City are willing to throw him 220k a week)

Reading looking to pick up Hoilet from Blackburn.

Calm down trunks. All 3 players are different. It's not like they just replaced RVP for Podolski. They just wanted to showcase the new signing

Edit
laugh.gif
you realized it. Anyway those purple away are like nothing I have ever seen before. I don't really think they look like those united aways at all. Those would probably look pretty nice on the pitch. Not sure how they would look casually though.

I really don't like the new Arsenal kits, they should use gold as their accent colour, not navy.

Back
Top Bottom