The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

ugh Meireles to Chelsea 
sick.gif
 all the Portuguese players I like now play for squads I hate (Chelsea, Madrid,Porto) 
laugh.gif
 Please Nani don't ever leave Man U for one of these squads

Owen Hargreaves must have a guardian angel or some %**@. He still eating of that Munich rep
laugh.gif

Just been over the transfers, QPR went to work
eek.gif
..... must of been the allure of being based in London for a lot of them boys.

Liverpool mishandled Meireles here. The guy played a significant role in their "resurgence" late last season. Obviously, something had been brewing since they felt the need to sign a couple of expensive midfielders. If the price is indeed 12m gbp then Chelsea should be pleased.

One player that was underrated at Chelsea was Michael Ballack. Ballack provided versatility and was a "shadow" for Frank Lampard. As Lampard begins (or continues depending on how you feel about him) to fade away, a player needs to be waiting to fill that void. Meireles will help with that. I don't understand why Chelsea didn't look at Sneijder if he was remotely available.

Owen Hargreaves? I would've signed him to a pay per play contract for any club seeking depth. Low risk type deal.

Edit:

As far as Real Madrid: am very delighted to see Lassana Diarra stay. I don't understand his feeling at the moment because his most recent comment was contradictory to what had been reported throughout the summer. He reaffirmed his position as a Real Madrid player and Mourinho as his coach. I don't know if he said this with sincerity or as a result of fleeting transfer opportunities. In any case, Lass brings depth for midfield and right back so he is welcome to stay.

Fernando Gago can piss off. One of my least favorite players on the team for some time. This guy has gotten a pass for some weak *%@ performances throughout the years because of his occasional good game with Argentina. News flash gentlemen, just because you're Argentine and a midfielder doesn't make you the next Fernando Redondo. His talent is there. His performances are debatable. The player has a weak mental fortitude and that is fact.

Royston Drenthe has potential but unfortunately, it seems it will never be untapped. He lacks the proper mentality to become a consistently successful footballer. The majority of his mistakes are laughable. I hope he can turn it around and contribute to Everton but I'm just being blunt. Anyways, here's him rapping in Dutch lol

Originally Posted by xblaze23

Liverpool mishandled Meireles here. The guy played a significant role in their "resurgence" late last season. Obviously, something had been brewing since they felt the need to sign a couple of expensive midfielders. If the price is indeed 12m gbp then Chelsea should be pleased.

One player that was underrated at Chelsea was Michael Ballack. Ballack provided versatility and was a "shadow" for Frank Lampard. As Lampard begins (or continues depending on how you feel about him) to fade away, a player needs to be waiting to fill that void. Meireles will help with that. I don't understand why Chelsea didn't look at Sneijder if he was remotely available.

Owen Hargreaves? I would've signed him to a pay per play contract for any club seeking depth. Low risk type deal.

Edit:

As far as Real Madrid: am very delighted to see Lassana Diarra stay. I don't understand his feeling at the moment because his most recent comment was contradictory to what had been reported throughout the summer. He reaffirmed his position as a Real Madrid player and Mourinho as his coach. I don't know if he said this with sincerity or as a result of fleeting transfer opportunities. In any case, Lass brings depth for midfield and right back so he is welcome to stay.

Fernando Gago can piss off. One of my least favorite players on the team for some time. This guy has gotten a pass for some weak *%@ performances throughout the years because of his occasional good game with Argentina. News flash gentlemen, just because you're Argentine and a midfielder doesn't make you the next Fernando Redondo. His talent is there. His performances are debatable. The player has a weak mental fortitude and that is fact.

Royston Drenthe has potential but unfortunately, it seems it will never be untapped. He lacks the proper mentality to become a consistently successful footballer. The majority of his mistakes are laughable. I hope he can turn it around and contribute to Everton but I'm just being blunt. Anyways, here's him rapping in Dutch lol

Drenthe was a beast in FIFA 10.. I had a career mode with Lille and he was a skillful dude.. lol I know this is semi related just my thoughts man...

Never realized how much QPR bulked up.

Joey Barton
Shaun Wright-Phillips
Anton Ferdinand
Armand Traore
Tommaso Trani
Luke Young

Not bad, not bad at all.

Blaze, Gago should have been gone the moment he said Barca is the best club in the world. No type of loyalty despite his shoddy performances on the pitch.
I think most people don't realize that Meireles will probably crack the starting 11. In AVB's 4-3-3, I could foresee Meireles taking Mikel's place as the center holding midfielder given the liberty to go forward much like Song does for Arsenal. Meireles' versatility is so undervalued. He can play literally anywhere in the midfield: CDM, CAM, RM, LM. Strong on set pieces and gives good service/balls to his forwards.

As far as Lass goes, I love what he showed in the second-leg of CL against Barca. He was dogging Messi all game and filled the hounding CDM role for Pepe well. It seems Mourinho is enamored with Khedira for whatever reason. The German international hasn't left a lasting impression on me after his first campaign at the Bernabeu, but his new girlfriend is HOT. Plus the addition of Sahin paired with Alonso means less time/space in the midfield. 

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Blaze, Gago should have been gone the moment he said Barca is the best club in the world. No type of loyalty despite his shoddy performances on the pitch.
I think most people don't realize that Meireles will probably crack the starting 11. In AVB's 4-3-3, I could foresee Meireles taking Mikel's place as the center holding midfielder given the liberty to go forward much like Song does for Arsenal. Meireles' versatility is so undervalued. He can play literally anywhere in the midfield: CDM, CAM, RM, LM. Strong on set pieces and gives good service/balls to his forwards.

As far as Lass goes, I love what he showed in the second-leg of CL against Barca. He was dogging Messi all game and filled the hounding CDM role for Pepe well. It seems Mourinho is enamored with Khedira for whatever reason. The German international hasn't left a lasting impression on me after his first campaign at the Bernabeu, but his new girlfriend is HOT. Plus the addition of Sahin paired with Alonso means less time/space in the midfield. 
I don't see how he could play CDM. He was too scared to make a tackle when he played for us. This man would literally run away from challenges. I think people are over valuing him. He doesn't score enough or create enough chances to be able to do that. I'm not going to lie, he helped us a lot last season but he was replaced because outside of the 5 goals he scored he really didn't do much. All of the people that we signed to replace him created more chances than he did last year. And with Stevie coming back there was no place for him especially for a player who wanted a pay raise who would not be seeing much time. 
This isn't directed at you but I'm finding that the people commenting on Meireles didn't really watch him in a Liverpool shirt. They saw his highlights and rated him from there. He was good for us last year when we were on the decline but now that we have the ability to bring in more players his value declined. I would've liked him to stay to help bring more depth to our squad but he wanted a pay raise because the old owners promised him one. His move was probably more about money than anything. I just wish we wouldn't have sold him to a rival. 

Anyways,  I found this interesting "Apart from Xabi's goal in '08(which was given as OG by PL) every LFC scorer in last 8 lge games btwn LFC/CFC has been signed by Chelsea" - @BrianDurand56

[font=Georgia, Palatino, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

Originally Posted by 5dividedby4

I don't see how he could play CDM. He was too scared to make a tackle when he played for us. This man would literally run away from challenges. I think people are over valuing him. He doesn't score enough or create enough chances to be able to do that. I'm not going to lie, he helped us a lot last season but he was replaced because outside of the 5 goals he scored he really didn't do much. All of the people that we signed to replace him created more chances than he did last year. And with Stevie coming back there was no place for him especially for a player who wanted a pay raise who would not be seeing much time. 
This isn't directed at you but I'm finding that the people commenting on Meireles didn't really watch him in a Liverpool shirt. They saw his highlights and rated him from there. He was good for us last year when we were on the decline but now that we have the ability to bring in more players his value declined. I would've liked him to stay to help bring more depth to our squad but he wanted a pay raise because the old owners promised him one. His move was probably more about money than anything. I just wish we wouldn't have sold him to a rival. 

Anyways,  I found this interesting "Apart from Xabi's goal in '08(which was given as OG by PL) every LFC scorer in last 8 lge games btwn LFC/CFC has been signed by Chelsea" - @BrianDurand56

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]
Meireles wasn't amazing for Liverpool but he is a beast for the national team 
pimp.gif

Well Divided, fair points but I still feel the opposite. LFC undervalued Meireles' role in their resurgence after that horrid first half of the year. He's played CDM at Porto before regardless of how he may have looked to you in his first season in the rugged, physical EPL. AVB has repoire with Meireles and will know best how to utilize him at Stamford Bridge. Like I said, Mikel has good and bad moments prompting a move to bench in the near foreseeable future.

There's no doubt the Adam, Henderson, and Downing signings created little or no playing time for Meireles at Anfield, but why let him go to Chelsea of all clubs?

Speaking of Liverpool, Lucas has stepped up so much as a holding midfielder the past 8-10 months that people forget Gerrard hasn't even stepped on the pitch yet despite Liverpool's hot start. Downing's crosses are going to unlock Carroll for a lot of goals on headers and Adam showed how lethal he is on set pieces this past weekend. I was one of the first to predict a top 4 finish for LFC early summer. I like the Henderson kid a lot plus adding Enrique and Coates only solidifies that prediction. Now Arsenal has even more to worry about besides the usual Chelsea and Manchester United (in recent years). Arsene waited way too long to sell Cesc and Nasri, two imminent departures crippling their rebuilding process. Wenger had to scramble to fill the missing pieces only after an 8-2 drubbing at the hands of United. Spurs also made it easier for Liverpool and other top clubs by handcuffing Modric, not closing on Lass, and delaying the purchase of Adebayor. Defoe is not the long-term answer at striker in any way, shape, or form.

In closing, back to my original point about Meireles. Liverpool did Chelsea a favor filling their CAM void. Blues are going to be a different team with Mata and Meireles looking to unlock Torres at every opportunity.

Well Divided, fair points but I still feel the opposite. LFC undervalued Meireles' role in their resurgence after that horrid first half of the year. He's played CDM at Porto before regardless of how he may have looked to you in his first season in the rugged, physical EPL. AVB has repoire with Meireles and will know best how to utilize him at Stamford Bridge. Like I said, Mikel has good and bad moments prompting a move to bench in the near foreseeable future.

There's no doubt the Adam, Henderson, and Downing signings created little or no playing time for Meireles at Anfield, but why let him go to Chelsea of all clubs?

Speaking of Liverpool, Lucas has stepped up so much as a holding midfielder the past 8-10 months that people forget Gerrard hasn't even stepped on the pitch yet despite Liverpool's hot start. Downing's crosses are going to unlock Carroll for a lot of goals on headers and Adam showed how lethal he is on set pieces this past weekend. I was one of the first to predict a top 4 finish for LFC early summer. I like the Henderson kid a lot plus adding Enrique and Coates only solidifies that prediction. Now Arsenal has even more to worry about besides the usual Chelsea and Manchester United (in recent years). Arsene waited way too long to sell Cesc and Nasri, two imminent departures crippling their rebuilding process. Wenger had to scramble to fill the missing pieces only after an 8-2 drubbing at the hands of United. Spurs also made it easier for Liverpool and other top clubs by handcuffing Modric, not closing on Lass, and delaying the purchase of Adebayor. Defoe is not the long-term answer at striker in any way, shape, or form.

In closing, back to my original point about Meireles. Liverpool did Chelsea a favor filling their CAM void. Blues are going to be a different team with Mata and Meireles looking to unlock Torres at every opportunity.

AVB didn't need him before and was willing to let him go. I really think he is just a back up option. Honestly, if Frank can't play off the striker and work well with Torres and get him scoring goals, Meireles darn sure can't do it. But I've been wrong before. And not to mention he's almost 30. The players coming in are younger and have a higher upside then him in my opinion. 
Yeah I agree with you we shouldn't have sold him to Chelsea but every other player we've sold to them hasn't really worked out. I'm hoping it will be more of the same.  
Lucas has transformed into one of the most underrated CDMs in the league. Our own fans still don't appreciate the work he puts in. As far as I'm concerned Lucas HAS to start. And for some reason I don't think Arsenal is finished like a lot of people think. I think they will still be in the discussion for top 4 later on. I still think Liverpool can edge them out but I'm not counting them out yet. It's still too early. 

The rest of the MLS are praying this man cannot recover from injury..once he does, i really do not see anyone stopping Dallas..We have the best goalkeeper in El Gato Kevin Hartman, we have the best backline when in form, Ihemulu been *++#%++ up lately..George John is back, the only thing that worries me is beckham, i can just picture his passes cutting our defense, but that aint gonna hppen..George John, benitez, and Danny Hernandez will keep donovan in check..not one person can contain Brek Shea...and we have castillo coming off the bench. we do gotta get better on defending set pieces...i just dont see it.

looking for some help.. moving to Germany this coming tuesday.. was looking into getting sky (uk) tv out there but might be a bit to expensive due to the fact ill have to buy everything from a uk proxy. Was looking for a website (trusted and preferably in HD) that i can not only stream matches but also go back and see matches i might miss. Dont mind paying, any help will greatly be appreciated.. PM me is necessary

Back
Top Bottom