The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Marcelo's celebration was wild
pimp.gif

You can see Ronaldinho isn't the same as he was in his peak. But he's got that undeniable ability to change a game with one pass, one free kick. He played rather deep, and was more of a distributor.

Although at the end he really out in effort I felt - they didn't want to lose to Mexico and he doesn't want to lose his place with the NT.

It's hard to say if he'll make the Olympics let alone WC in Rio.. but for now I think he's definitely a squad member whether that entails starting or coming off the bench.

I have a feeling that Mano won't make it to the WC..

Russia had a perfect game. Hopefully Wegner's scout was watching Alan Dzagoev again, he was brilliant all game.

Originally Posted by I3

Marcelo's celebration was wild
pimp.gif

You can see Ronaldinho isn't the same as he was in his peak. But he's got that undeniable ability to change a game with one pass, one free kick. He played rather deep, and was more of a distributor.

Although at the end he really out in effort I felt - they didn't want to lose to Mexico and he doesn't want to lose his place with the NT.

It's hard to say if he'll make the Olympics let alone WC in Rio.. but for now I think he's definitely a squad member whether that entails starting or coming off the bench.

I have a feeling that Mano won't make it to the WC..
I don't think Mano last more than another year. With the talent they have they should be performing well above how they are now. I think Brazil brings back Scolari after his coaching contract with Palmeiras is up

Yeah well.. the '02 WC team had established players, Ronalo, Rivalo, Roberto Carlos, Cafu etc..

This Brasilian team is brand new, Neymar, Lucas Moura, Pato, Thiago Silva.. Ganso.. they're all new faces and most of them aren't playing in Europe. Its obvious there will be teething problems, ultimately its a matter of the coach getting the right combos and exploring the pieces to the puzzle in the next 3 years.

Another note.. I don't think we'll see that generation of players from Brasil anymore.. Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.. amazing once in a lifetime players..

Originally Posted by I3

Yeah well.. the '02 WC team had established players, Ronalo, Rivalo, Roberto Carlos, Cafu etc..

This Brasilian team is brand new, Neymar, Lucas Moura, Pato, Thiago Silva.. Ganso.. they're all new faces and most of them aren't playing in Europe. Its obvious there will be teething problems, ultimately its a matter of the coach getting the right combos and exploring the pieces to the puzzle in the next 3 years.

Another note.. I don't think we'll see that generation of players from Brasil anymore.. Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.. amazing once in a lifetime players..
I agree with you up until your last statement. Can't see how you can make that argument when Neymar and Ganso are heading into that direction. Neymar has such a high ceiling, I'm actually scared of what he'll be able to accomplish once he signs for a team in Europe. He's young now but when he matures as a man and as a player, there's nothing that will hold him back from being a player among the ranks of Ronaldinho. Let's face it, the kid is talented beyond belief.

Kick it like Beckham.
Eto'o wants to help Inter during winter break.
Inter is currently placed 17th in Serie A.

Thorsten Fink apparently free for coaching Hamburg.

Probably stuck a billion pound release clause in there.
laugh.gif

Euro Playoffs:

Ireland/Estonia
Portugal/Bosnia
Czech Rep./Montenegro
Turkey/Croatia

Rooneh banned for the group stage at Euro 2012. I look forward to the anarchy when England bombs out again.

30t6p3b.gif
Damn fool. Only himself to blame. What does Fabio do? Does he even bother selecting him for the squad?

Originally Posted by bconngemini

One quick question, now that the World cup is over, what are you guys actually watching?
The World Cup is a very thin slice of the soccer pie. It's an important one, and to many the most important one, but there is a ton of other quality soccer between World Cups.
- Domestic leagues: a player's "job" is to play for a pro team in one of many domestic leagues. The WC is just a break to serve your country, like the Olympics in basketball. Spain, Germany, Italy and England are considered the strongest leagues in various orders.

- Champions League: brings together the best teams from each domestic league each year to play for title of the best team in Europe. To many, this is the most entertaining and high quality soccer around. Some of the greatest moments in soccer history have come in the Champions League. 

- World Cup and European qualifiers: for some teams, like the US, qualifying for the WC is a given because of their weak region. For other teams, like many European teams, it's a struggle because there are so many quality squads. The qualifiers are often spectacularly entertaining.

- Continental tourneys: think of it as the WC for each continent. It has become fashionable to say that the Euro tournament is higher quality than the WC. Whatever the case, these tournaments are often very entertaining.

- Friendly matches: exhibitions, but sometimes very hotly contested and fun to watch. Mexico-Brazil the other day was a great great game. 

Originally Posted by DLo13

Rooneh banned for the group stage at Euro 2012. I look forward to the anarchy when England bombs out again.
Maybe they learn that they suck.Some great players but no great team.

Honestly, if you look at the squads, I wouldn't say that England is an elite team (I mean, at this point they are discussing recalling Michael Owen), and tactically they are somewhere in the dark ages, so really Rooney's suspension should really just do nothing more than mask the problems that they have structurally. As much as the supporters want to blame Capello (which is legit, TBH) an English manager will do no better if they don't start developing and picking a new style of player. Also, the reliance of foreign talent in the top domestic league has hindered the development of homegrown talent. They need to find a balance.

Originally Posted by hugebird

Honestly, if you look at the squads, I wouldn't say that England is an elite team (I mean, at this point they are discussing recalling Michael Owen), and tactically they are somewhere in the dark ages, so really Rooney's suspension should really just do nothing more than mask the problems that they have structurally. As much as the supporters want to blame Capello (which is legit, TBH) an English manager will do no better if they don't start developing and picking a new style of player. Also, the reliance of foreign talent in the top domestic league has hindered the development of homegrown talent. They need to find a balance.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think missing Rooney will be a set back for them in the group stage (although Bent's been pretty solid) but this isn't much of a "complete" England squad, if you will. All really depends on who they draw in the group stage though.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

England hasn't been an elite side in a while.
They are to international soccer what Notre Dame is to college football. "Mystique" "tradition" "history" but very little in the way of recent results. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

England hasn't been an elite side in a while.
They are to international soccer what Notre Dame is to college football. "Mystique" "tradition" "history" but very little in the way of recent results. 
best analogy ive seen in S&T in awhile... pretty spot on

De Gea, Smalling, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Park, Fletcher, Giggs, Jones, Young, Welbeck
Did not see this coming... 
nerd.gif

Rooney, Nani & Chicharito... on the bench.

Back
Top Bottom