The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Yeah it sucks Gourcouff is out for a while and Lisandro is hurt too :smh:, but Bastos has been lethal this yr so far plus I think Gomis will pick up the slack and I'm glad they were able to hang on to him this window...Hugo wanted to go to the next step so I feel like it was inevitable he'd leave if a solid offer came through (even though we're both in Europa and he's gonna sit on the bench till next yr probably at Spurs :smh:) plus Spurs paid a hefty fee for him, and Vercoutre will be at least serviceable back there for them. Really happy how the season has gone so far but it's extremely early...I'd be happy with a top 3 finish this yr, we need to get back to Champion's League :smokin
PSG, Marseille, OL. Sound about right?

AVB already said Lloris is going to have to battle Friedel, the savvy veteran for the #1 keeper job. I have him in my top-5 keepers in the world after Casillas, Neuer, and Hart obviously.

Yep, that seems pretty reasonable, and yeah Lloris is very very good...only 25 too so he's got almost 15 yrs left in him for a gk. Friedel is also very capable himself but this will be his last yr with Spurs so it'll be interesting how it turns out

Ronaldo has a €1 billion buyout clause. He's not going anywhere.

:x :x oh my goodness, oh my dayum :lol:

Damn...I wonder what's Messi's buyout is...lmao

€250 million.

CR 7 to LIGUE 1, I don't see happening but I do see him moving out once Mourinho leaves. He wants a big extention, it's not happening. He's in his late 20's.

EDIT: REAL isn't playing it right either,
"Hours after his announcement, anonymous Real Madrid officials made statements to the press saying that Ronaldo's statements were "capricious and unfortunate", and bemoaning the forward's decision to make such a proclamation only days after Real Madrid won the Super Copa from Barcelona and as the players get ready to leave for two weeks to be with their national squads.

According to Spanish media sources, Ronaldo met with Real President Fiorentino Perez on Saturday to discuss his withdrawal from the team because the forward reportedly does not feel welcome in the Real Madrid dressing rooms."

http://www.allmediany.com/news/5736-cr7-sad-in-real-madrid-wants-transfer

Last edited:
Regarding Ronaldo, the timing of this was too perfect for it not to be calculated. He announced his "unhappiness" after the window was closed and right before 2 weeks of International break. The media won't have anything significant to talk about it except this. There are many theories from all over but it's safe to say that this about his contract. Several players have had their contracts renewed/extended by the club so I'm sure that's part of the bitterness.

I have no doubt that it will be resolved. Tactical move by the player and his agent.. but in poor taste because it stole the show from the team's victory.

I want to see Ronaldo back in the EPL. Dont care where, just want to see him not go to a lesser league when he does leave La Liga.

Na bro, Messi will never leave Barcelona. Messi will never speak another language but Spanish, he's just a simple dude.

Ronaldo doesn't need to leave Madrid, at least not yet. He's had an awesome career in great places. Started at Man United at 18, and won every award and trophy. Now he's broken records at Real and only thing he needs is a Champions League trophy with Real (almost guarantees world player award).

If Real do win the champions league next year then he leaves. Mourinho would go first, since its the only trophy he needs on the resume. I say Ronaldo follows his fellow countryman. Ronaldo would not stay with Real if Jose leaves, no way.

Personally I would like to see him go to Serie A so we can see him dominate 3 leagues and prove to everyone he's > Messi

So nowadays a player has to switch up clubs and league every couple years to prove he is among the greatest?

So im guessing Paolo Maldini is a cra.p defender since he played all 24 years of his career in Milan? Along with Beckenbauer, Baresi, Del Piero, Totti, Casillas, Raul, Giggs, Gerrard etc. etc. have not been football greats since they have all remained in the same club, or better yet, their "comfort zone" for 10 through 20+ years?

My cousin bought me some Adizero Responses as a gift last week. I tried them out in a game and realized they were the football kind that you see Robert Griffin III advertising in his commercials. They felt awkward at first, but I couldn't even tell the difference later on in the game. A couple games later and I prefer them to my normal Nike vapors. Just a random tidbit I guess :lol:

Also kinda sad to see Essien loaned out to Real Madrid. With Meireles leaving I thought he could have found time in defensive midfield. Hope he revives his career with Los Blancos

Personally I would like to see him go to Serie A so we can see him dominate 3 leagues and prove to everyone he's > Messi

So nowadays a player has to switch up clubs and league every couple years to prove he is among the greatest?

So im guessing Paolo Maldini is a cra.p defender since he played all 24 years of his career in Milan? Along with Beckenbauer, Baresi, Del Piero, Totti, Casillas, Raul, Giggs, Gerrard etc. etc. have not been football greats since they have all remained in the same club, or better yet, their "comfort zone" for 10 through 20+ years?
One of the biggest points of argument in the Messi vs Ronaldo convo is that Ronaldo has dominated in both EPL and La Liga while Messi had only played for Barcelona his whole career in a system tailor made for his game with the #2-3 player in the world beside him (Iniesta).

Ronaldo has also had more international success than Messi.

No player has ever won in EPL, La Liga, and Serie A so Ronaldo would be a pioneer in doing so and add point to his GOAT argument.

Some players have won a combination of two of those three titles. Examples of Premier League winners who have also won one of those other foreign titles include Thierry Henry (La Liga with FC Barcelona), Juan Veron (Serie A with SS Lazio), Claude Makele (La Liga with Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (La Liga with FC Barcelona), Patrick Vieira (Serie A with Inter) and David Beckham (La Liga with Real Madrid). The latter has come quite close to winning all three titles during the 2009-2010 season with AC Milan but no one has ever achieved that feat.

Last edited:
One of the biggest points of argument in the Messi vs Ronaldo convo is that Ronaldo has dominated in both EPL and La Liga while Messi had only played for Barcelona his whole career in a system tailor made for his game with the #2-3 player in the world beside him (Iniesta).
Ronaldo has also had more international success than Messi.
No player has ever won in EPL, La Liga, and Serie A so Ronaldo would be a pioneer in doing so and add point to his GOAT argument.

Tired debate at this point, but I'll bite.

The idea that Messi needs to prove himself in another league is just foolish. Just something perpetuated by those looking to prop up their own favorite player/league. As SAJ23 posted, what about all those greats who were one-club players? Should we discount their ability because they never deigned to play in England? The already flawed argument falls apart when you consider Messi has dominated the best competition in football - the CL - like no one else having led it in scoring a record four years running.

Tailor made system? LOL. Messi is the best dribbler and finisher in the world and would likely produce even more in a direct style, though the team wouldn't be as good. If he took as many shots as Ronaldo did last season he would have threatened 100 goals. And he plays on one of the greatest sides of all time, of course there are other greats on the team.

If you really think CR is a greater footballer than Messi your understanding of the game is lacking. He heads the ball better, and probably takes better FKs (his actual conversion rate is rather poor). That's about it. And if you think Ronaldo has or will have a case to be called GOAT you're either delusional or just ignorant about football history, although he will go down as a legend.

CR had an incredible season, and I wouldn't be mad at all if he won the Balon D'Or. But his case stems from Madrid winning La Liga, and they already won their trophy for that. It's an individual award, and Messi was basically Jordan circa '87. The greatest goal scoring season in the long history of football, and the goals are only half of his game. He deserves it.

Last edited:
CoupeIt88: Portuguese heritage? I already rock with Benfica over Porto or Braga. I also thought a Chelsea deal would get done before end of summer. But the more the contract talks dragged on, the less likely it became. I suppose from Abramovich and the board's perspective, Hazard and Moses provide enough wide-play and RDM doesn't plan to play Hulk through the middle as a lead or support striker.

SFC415: Ramos is my favorite defender in the world, and second favorite footballer after Ronaldo. He also clashed with Mou over defending set-pieces in training. It was basically Ramos and Casillas vs. Mourinho. There were rumors in recent years of Sergio moving to Stamford Bridge, but those talks have died down completely. He's too valuable at both RB and CB to sell, regardless of the fee.

A new, improved contract for Cristiano would destroy Madrid on the tax.

LyonBC1: Deschamps reported to the media that Lloris is already upset with AVB. The young Portuguese manager seems unable to handle player personalities. I feel footballers don't respect his lack of a playing career.

AZwildcats: Essien's best football is behind him. Still remember the days he bulldogged the midfield with Makelele and Lampard. Mourinho's specialty.

abovelegit1: I won't even entertain yet another Ronaldo vs. Messi debate. Both are the best hands down in the sport of football. I much prefer to appreciate their unique talents and gifts on the pitch. There is no middle ground on this discussion. 1A and 1B, I'll leave it at that. I do believe Cristiano deserves the 2012 Ballon d'Or though.

CoupeIt88: Portuguese heritage? I already rock with Benfica over Porto or Braga. I also thought a Chelsea deal would get done before end of summer. But the more the contract talks dragged on, the less likely it became. I suppose from Abramovich and the board's perspective, Hazard and Moses provide enough wide-play and RDM doesn't plan to play Hulk through the middle as a lead or support striker.

Yep, first generation Portchop.

Yep, first generation Portchop.
Not Portuguese, but I've dated many Portuguese girls and used to frequent the Ironbound area of Newark, NJ. Love the women, culture, passion for football, and most importantly food.

In terms of Madrid, seems like the club is splitting into the Portuguese (Ronaldo, Pepe, Coentrao, formerly Carvalho) vs. the Spanish (Casillas, Ramos, Alonso). Marcelo (Brasilian) seems to be leaning on the Spanish side, which is surprising because Marcelo and Ronaldo were very close and teamed up for numerous harmless pranks in the locker room in Cristiano's first two years at the Bernabeu.

Speaking of boots...if you have a Ross store in your area, I've had some luck finding some there lately. Couple of colorways of the Tiempo IIIs, Adipures, Predators, and some Puma boots. $100+ boots for $20-25.

You can find some other gear there, too. I've bought a few replica kits from there. A lot of Adidas (MLS) stuff, but I've seen some of the past US, Italy, England kits in there too. Just depends of the lots they buy, I guess.

Fair number of Nike/Adidas shin guards for $3-5 bucks, too.

@BBCSporf "BREAKING: Michael Owen retires from football at the age of 32. The striker will now spend the next few years playing rugby for Stoke City." :rofl:

@BBCSporf "BREAKING: Michael Owen retires from football at the age of 32. The striker will now spend the next few years playing rugby for Stoke City." :rofl:
:lol: All jokes aside, thought LFC had no choice but to push harder for Owen and hope he can still lead the line. They have no bench options after Suarez and Borini.

Somewhere Piers Morgan is smiling.

#Benchwarmer
:lol:
In just over a year, AVB gets the harshest criticism for his treatment of players. But how about the way Fergie has handled Berba and Owen at Old Trafford? Berbatov shares the Boot one year and can't find the pitch the next, with bench splinters glued to his gluteus maximus. Owen barely saw daylight or sniffed the grass at OT in his short time. People often forget his goal-scoring prowess at LFC, albeit in the past a significant amount of time ago.

In just over a year, AVB gets the harshest criticism for his treatment of players. But how about the way Fergie has handled Berba and Owen at Old Trafford? Berbatov shares the Boot one year and can't find the pitch the next, with bench splinters glued to his gluteus maximus. Owen barely saw daylight or sniffed the grass at OT in his short time. People often forget his goal-scoring prowess at LFC, albeit in the past a significant amount of time ago.

The problem with Berba was bad timing. SAF was re-branding the style of United. Making it a more fast paced, quick passing total football style instead of the usual long ball 2 pass goal style. Berba didn't really fit in with those plans because of his perceived lazy and lacklustre style.

He's still a very talented player.

The problem with Berba was bad timing. SAF was re-branding the style of United. Making it a more fast paced, quick passing total football style instead of the usual long ball 2 pass goal style. Berba didn't really fit in with those plans because of his perceived lazy and lacklustre style.
He's still a very talented player.
Fair enough, I can see that being true. The Rooney and Welbeck partnership is money, even relegated Chicharito's successful poacher-style to the bench after a marvelous first United campaign.

In hindsight, couldn't Fergie have sold Berba immediately for a larger fee right after his highlight season at OT when he tied for the Boot? Obviously the legendary manager knew Berba wouldn't be in the plans for the upcoming campaign at that point. Owen also could have been off-loaded sooner in my opinion once deemed excessive surplus of forwards.

in all fairness owen was very injury prone during his time at united

Back
Top Bottom