The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Interesting line-up for Brazil...I'm wondering whether Ganzo, Pato, Marcelo, and Kaka will make it into the final squad.

Just read somewhere the celtics could be joing the English premier league. Anybody think that could happen? I think it'll be dope

Last edited:
Just read somewhere the celtics could be joing the English premier league. Anybody think that could happen? I think it'll be dope
really?

There's been talk about it for a while. I think it will be difficult to do because EPL already has their promotion relegation system in place. It would mean, either booting a team off their spot, or just adding another team. With 20 teams already in the EPL, I just don't see where they would fit (if they were just adding on another team at the bottom).

The consensus that I've read around from most comments is that people say it'll never happen because the FA doesn't want to hear pro-IRA (Irish Republican Army) songs at every game.

really?

There's been talk about it for a while. I think it will be difficult to do because EPL already has their promotion relegation system in place. It would mean, either booting a team off their spot, or just adding another team. With 20 teams already in the EPL, I just don't see where they would fit (if they were just adding on another team at the bottom).

The consensus that I've read around from most comments is that people say it'll never happen because the FA doesn't want to hear pro-IRA (Irish Republican Army) songs at every game.

I'd like to see Celtic join EPL...Also like to see Scotland's Rangers join too...I enjoy watching those clubs play...

Last edited:
Anybody have any perspective on how Ronaldinho is playing in Brazil? Scolari included him in his first squad since his return.

He's done well this past season, though he fell off a bit in the second half. Atletico MG came out of nowhere to sign him, and he was a main factor in them finishing second in BSerie A. Previous season they were 15th. I love the guy, but as playmakers go, Oscar, Hernanes, Willian, and Kaka should all be ahead of him. Still has vision and class on the ball, but has lost too much pace and work rate to help against top intl comp. Don't think he'll be in the main plans for 2014, but if he is it'll be R9 in 2006 all over again.

louislagerfield- Silva's out till Feb with injury.

edit: Valdes is a terrible keeper. Barca's possesion makes him look good. When he's properly tested, he fails.

No offense, but that's just a stupid opinion. So I guess he wasn't ever properly tested while he was winning one of the 20 or so trophies he's won? Do you really think a 'terrible' player could play for Barca, let alone start for as long as he has? There is hardly a keeper in the world who is better with the ball at his feet or in distribution. His shot stopping and command of the box is good too. He's a top keeper. Like many GKs, he's only noticed when he makes the occasional mistake, leading people to spout off some nonsense about how poor he is. Because he's at a high profile club it's further exaggerated.

I assume he's leaving because he can get paid a lot more elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he already has a verbal agreement with a club; perhaps outside of Europe.

Last edited:

edit: Valdes is a terrible keeper. Barca's possesion makes him look good. When he's properly tested, he fails.

No offense, but that's just a stupid opinion. So I guess he wasn't ever properly tested while he was winning one of the 20 or so trophies he's won? Do you really think a 'terrible' player could play for Barca, let alone start for as long as he has? There is hardly a keeper in the world who is better with the ball at his feet or in distribution. His shot stopping and command of the box is good too. He's a top keeper. Like many GKs, he's only noticed when he makes the occasional mistake, leading people to spout off some nonsense about how poor he is. Because he's at a high profile club it's further exaggerated.

I assume he's leaving because he can get paid a lot more elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he already has a verbal agreement with a club; perhaps outside of Europe.

Some posts have alluded to Valdes' people already having a verbal agreement in place which would be kinda outlandish. I've read his reps came to Barca told him he's leaving after the current deal & then left without hearing any proposals or offers.

What do you think of the possibility of Pepe Reina for Barca or do you think Pinto can handle it?

louislagerfield- Silva's out till Feb with injury.

Valdes has become more and more costly to Barca over the years. On various occasions he lets the club down. Lately, not even in big occasaions. Valdes is simply fortunate that he's Catalan and that he's at a team who loves to keep possession, who are so strong in the midfield and defense. That possession covers Valdes' flaws since he's not very busy to be honest. Over the last 3 seasons, Barcelona have had an average of 3 shots per game on their goal. I hate to be the one to tell you man, it's not very difficult to win all those trophies when you're only seeing 3 attempts on target per 90min (what's even scarier is that some of those shots on target include miss-kicks, and some of them goals. My Lord, how many saves does this guy have to make per game then? :smh: ).

But fortunately, we don't have to sit and argue back and forth about fantasy stuff, we can just wait for him to transfer to somewhere like Liverpool and watch people ship goals passed him on a weekly basis.

^Yeah, the fact that he didn't want to listen to any offer could mean he already has something lined up elsewhere. Or perhaps he just wants new challenges and wants to experience new cultures like he says. Regardless, he's already won everything there is to win at the club so can't blame him if he wants to pursue his own interests.

Reina is the obvious possibility having come through the academy, and being a good distributor, but I think they may go for a long term solution since he's already 30. De Gea and Courtois are the other names being bandied about in the press, but both players would have to want to leave and both would be expensive. I'd prefer Vicente Guaita of Valencia or ter Stegen from Monchengladbach.

Valdes has become more and more costly to Barca over the years. On various occasions he lets the club down. Lately, not even in big occasaions. Valdes is simply fortunate that he's Catalan and that he's at a team who loves to keep possession, who are so strong in the midfield and defense. That possession covers Valdes' flaws since he's not very busy to be honest. Over the last 3 seasons, Barcelona have had an average of 3 shots per game on their goal. I hate to be the one to tell you man, it's not very difficult to win all those trophies when you're only seeing 3 attempts on target per 90min (what's even scarier is that some of those shots on target include miss-kicks, and some of them goals. My Lord, how many saves does this guy have to make per game then? ).

But fortunately, we don't have to sit and argue back and forth about fantasy stuff, we can just wait for him to transfer to somewhere like Liverpool and watch people ship goals passed him on a weekly basis.

LOL where to start? I see you're an avid reader of goal.com, but that doesn't make you an expert GK scout. You can't use goal attempt stats to prove anything because it doesn't tell you the quality of the attempt. There is no side in the world that plays a higher line than Barca, and thus all attacks against them are on the counter, and the vast majority of those counter attacks are clear cut chances no keeper can stop.

FYI, there has been 9 attempts on his goal per game this season, and the majority of the season has been played with a makeshift backline, yet they have one of the best defensive records in the league and are on top of the table. The defense hasn't been great, especially last season with injuries and lack of form, but he has been consistent.

He is a busy player. I'm sure he gets the most possession touches of any keeper in La Liga, and there isn't a keeper more involved in build up than Valdes. His technical quality is his best characteristic, and can't be dismissed because of some stats and a few mistakes that stand out in your mind. And there isn't a stat for his excellent distribution.

I could go on and talk about how he compensates for lack of team height on set pieces, and all the times he's saved a match or big goal, or all the trophies the club has won with him in goal, or the fact that he just almost always delivers in cup finals/semifinals/big league matches, but I'll leave it at that. He isn't the best, but he's easily top ten. To call him terrible is moronic.

Last edited:
Yeah, the fact that he didn't want to listen to any offer could mean he already has something lined up elsewhere. Or perhaps he just wants new challenges and wants to experience new cultures like he says. Regardless, he's already won everything there is to win at the club so can't blame him if he wants to pursue his own interests.

Reina is the obvious possibility having come through the academy, and being a good distributor, but I think they may go for a long term solution since he's already 30. De Gea and Courtois are the other names being bandied about in the press, but both players would have to want to leave and both would be expensive.

I'd prefer Vicente Guaita of Valencia or ter Stegen from Monchengladbach.

Rumours have been that SAF is ready to let him go because he lacks physical presence for the premier league. (There was talk of United trying to pick up Stokes Begovic as a replacement). So there's potential for him to come on to the market soon. It'll be interesting though because they claimed that De Gea was the long term replacement for Casillas.

Phil Dowd being such a fat **** always makes me laugh. Dude must pound the pints in between matches. :lol:

South Africa just scored a beauty against Angola....

Sweet finish for a centre-back.
Yeah, it was a nice finish. Are you enjoying the tournament as a whole? I think it's been pretty lackluster thus far, but it has been improving as more games are played.

When Gervinho scored yesterday, the commentator said his finishing is right up there with the best in the world
sick.gif
roll.gif

South Africa just scored a beauty against Angola....

Sweet finish for a centre-back.
Yeah, it was a nice finish. Are you enjoying the tournament as a whole? I think it's been pretty lackluster thus far, but it has been improving as more games are played.

When Gervinho scored yesterday, the commentator said his finishing is right up there with the best in the world :x :rofl:

Majoro just scored an incredible goal for SA. An individual piece of brilliance finally! 2-0 :smokin

So far the tournament hasn't been that great. Sluggish play, wasteful chances, low scoring games, poor tactics are all things we've seen too much of.

But as you say it's getting better in the later stages. Let's see how things pan out...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom