The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

being how the Yankees are....The Yankees :lol: I could see this working out in my city. It's just gonna take a little time though :pimp:

Looks like Dortmund's Goetze suffered a setback trying to come back from a partially torn hammy...

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...suffers-hamstring-setback-reports-say?cc=5901

Ailing Mario Goetze suffers setback
May 21, 2013
By Press Association

Borussia Dortmund's attacking midfielder Mario Goetze has reportedly suffered another setback in his bid to be fit to face his future club Bayern Munich in the final of the Champions League on Saturday.

Goetze, who has scored 19 goals this season -- more than his last two campaigns combined -- tore his hamstring during the second leg of the semifinal against Real Madrid and is still rated doubtful for Saturday's showpiece.

He started light training just over a week ago and appeared to take a step up Tuesday when he followed an individual training session in the morning by joining his teammates in the afternoon.

But Bild reported Tuesday that Goetze had been forced to pull out of that second session when he felt the problem again.

"Mario has felt something again in his hamstring. That is why he stopped. We don't know how bad it is and whether he is still suffering from it," general manager Michael Zorc told Bild.

It leaves in question Goetze's chances of playing against the club he will be joining in July after a 37 million euros ($47.7 million) transfer was agreed upon last month.

And Goetze is not Klopp's only concern with Mats Hummels, a man who switched between the two Bundesliga giants in the opposite direction in 2008, labouring with an ankle injury.

His chances of a recovery from an injury he picked up only on Saturday are significantly greater, though.

"Nothing is torn so it is not as bad as first feared," said Hummels to Sport Bild magazine. "I'm confident I'll be ready for the final."

Even without Goetze, Bayern Munich legend Lothar Matthaus believes Dortmund have a good chance of triumphing at Wembley and denying his former club a historic treble this season.

Bayern won the Bundesliga in record-breaking style and face Stuttgart in the final of the DFB-Pokal on 1 June.

"The big question is whether he can play, but then the question is how fit he is," Matthaus told Sky television.

"He has not played for the past three and a half weeks. I would say Mario cannot be 100 percent fit. If anything, then maybe he could take his place on the bench next to Jurgen Klopp because Dortmund are not reliant on Goetze," he said.

"It would also be his last game for Borussia against his future club so it would not be easy for Mario Goetze and it would not be easy for Borussia Dortmund, and it would not be easy for Jurgen Klopp either."

I'm upset about the New York team. Being from Queens, and being that soccer in my favorite sport, I was excited about this team. Until I heard that the majority owner was City :stoneface: . I can't possibly see myself supporting them. I mean I am a Yankees fan, but still...Also, I was hoping they would be called the Queens ______ instead of New York City FC.

Last edited:
Seems like the Arsenal Jovetic deal may be gathering steam, but they want 30m, which is almost half of Arsenes transfer budget for the window.

Might make Higuain more attractive option.

Typical example of how skewed the mkt has become

Man City :pimp:

NYFC will be the team that gets soccer in america booming.

Getting season tickets come 2015. :pimp:

Awkward situation.

I'm tempted to pick a Dortmund upset, 2-1.

Klopp publicly backed Kagawa and cited his discomfort playing out of position.

Coupe is our resident Porto supporter.

Every Portuguese girl I ever dated was pro-Benfica.

Well Porto is the best run team in Europe (fiscally) and has been the most dominant Portuguese team in the world. So I proudly wear it on my sleeve.

As for Portuguese girls, I don't date them, enjoy I guess. Lol

My weakness. Ironbound Newark. Women and restaurants.

Porto has a better financial record than Arsenal? I'm not well-versed on the subject. I know they've done well to profit off Ramires, Hulk, Falcao recently. Now add Rodriguez and Moutinho.

Thought AVB would surely bring Moutinho to WHL.

Champ

Porto Are The Transfer Kings of Europe

Perhaps with the exception of Barcelona, it would be hard for any European team to claim they’ve tasted as much success as FC Porto over the past ten years. In this timeframe, the Portuguese giants have secured eight League Titles, twelve Domestic Cups, two Europa League titles and one Champions League crown. What makes this truly remarkable however is that player departures have meant Porto’s team during this period has often been unrecognisable from its incarnation less than two seasons previous.

In the past decade, many players have cut their teeth at the Estádio do Dragão before earning high profile moves to some of European football’s biggest clubs, players like Deco, Ricardo Carvalho, Pepe, Anderson, Lisandro López, Bruno Alves, Hulk, Radamel Falcao and, erm, Benni McCarthy.

Yet even though the big names have all moved on, every single one of them (apart from Benni McCarthy) has made Porto a giant profit in the process. Pepe was bought for €1million, but sold to Real Madrid for €30million. Falcao cost €5million, but Atlético Madrid shelled out a staggering €47million for the prolific striker just two seasons later. The most recent star to leave was Hulk, snapped up by Porto for €5.5million in 2008, yet Zenit St. Petersburg paid €60million for the Brazilian’s services earlier this week. In total, the Portuguese champions have made a cool €365million profit from transfer dealings in the past ten years.

That’s an unbelievably impressive figure from a business perspective and Porto have factors working in their favour that mean they can continue to generate this kind of revenue from transfer fees. The club has one of the best scouting networks in world football, which is especially active in South America. Young, promising, South American players are brought in for small fees and nurtured at the club. Gifted youngsters can be lured to Porto by the team’s regular presence in the Champions League, as well as the chance to win trophies on the domestic front. However, the club unfortunately can’t offer the wages that Europe’s richest teams can and it’s inevitable that they will lose many of the stars they have unearthed.

I wouldn’t feel sorry for Porto though; as soon as big name heads out, their scouts already have a replacement lined up to fill his boots. The club may have lost Hulk this season, but they’ve brought in Columbian forward Jackson Martínez from Jaguares. Martínez comes with a reputation as an out-and-out goalscorer and has already netted twice in his first three games. If the early signs are anything to go by, Porto might have just made themselves yet another great investment.

Now add James, Moutinho for that 70 million and possibly Jackson Martinez whose also a hot commodity. We always recover too, that's what makes it so impressive. Our scouting is :pimp:

Last edited:
Yea, they said that in the 1970's also when Pele came. It's grows like molasis over here.

When Pele and others came to the Cosmos it literally brought the sport back to life in this country.

I don't see how anyone who's paid attention can the say the sport has grown like molasses here in the last 20 years.

You gotta have realistic expectations, when I look back at the aggregate growth of the sport here in the last ten years or so, it's looks more like an explosion to me.

If Goetze isn't fit I hope they let Gundogan play the 10 role and start Sahin in Gundogan's place.

Other option is to move Reus middle and let Grosskreutz on the left wing. Will be interesting to see what Klopp decides.

Neymar to Barca in June.

That video made me smile :lol:

If I have a Son know that he will be brought up playing Football and coming to Manchester United games with me

-West Ham may look at signing Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku, 20, on loan to partner Carroll, but face competition from Swansea.

-Incoming Manchester United boss David Moyes is keen to beat Chelsea to the signature of Southampton's 17-year-old full-back Luke Shaw. (maybe difficult as I think I recall the manager saying he's staying put)

-Real Madrid and Barcelona are said to be monitoring Chelsea's David Luiz, 26, who may not be wanted by Jose Mourinho if he returns to Stamford Bridge. (VERY interesting call this. If this is true, I think names like Arsenal and possibly United will be watching this situation very closely, to see if they can fit him into a CDM role.)

-Real Madrid want to sign Tottenham midfielder Gareth Bale, 23, this summer and are prepared to better Spurs' contract offer of £150,000-a-week. (not much in this, from what I've seen is that Bale hasn't signed the new Spurs deal, he's about to or agreed to sign for 130k. A cheeky bid from Real at 150k I doubt is enough to pull him away)

Back
Top Bottom