The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

72m pounds over 6 years.... Nike.

-Real Madrid and Barcelona are said to be monitoring Chelsea's David Luiz, 26, who may not be wanted by Jose Mourinho if he returns to Stamford Bridge. (VERY interesting call this. If this is true, I think names like Arsenal and possibly United will be watching this situation very closely, to see if they can fit him into a CDM role.)

Not trying to say that you didn't actually watch him play in this role, but I do believe that people who say this didn't really see how he played in this role. He was quite poor in the aspects that are so key in this role (positioning, passing, screening the back 4) and the discipline problems that people continually question (which are mostly from his first couple months in the Prem) will be highlighted in this key area, possibly even moreso than at the back.

I'm not saying that he could NEVER be a good player in that role, but at the moment other than his "footballing skills" there isn't much to show that he is going to be good in that role, honestly.

-Real Madrid and Barcelona are said to be monitoring Chelsea's David Luiz, 26, who may not be wanted by Jose Mourinho if he returns to Stamford Bridge. (VERY interesting call this. If this is true, I think names like Arsenal and possibly United will be watching this situation very closely, to see if they can fit him into a CDM role.)

Not trying to say that you didn't actually watch him play in this role, but I do believe that people who say this didn't really see how he played in this role. He was quite poor in the aspects that are so key in this role (positioning, passing, screening the back 4) and the discipline problems that people continually question (which are mostly from his first couple months in the Prem) will be highlighted in this key area, possibly even moreso than at the back.

I'm not saying that he could NEVER be a good player in that role, but at the moment other than his "footballing skills" there isn't much to show that he is going to be good in that role, honestly.

I've seen him in that role, and I've seen him concede goals that a CDM shouldn't. He is a bit lazy or lost at the moment, especially on the defensive side. Which is strange cause he either plays at the back or as CDM. I think because they're shifting him around a bit, he's caught up between two positions. I think if he was to settle in CDM, he would not be as lazy/lost and have a more physical presence.

I saw the headline on the cover you posted about Alcantara so I had to look it up...Damn. Thialgo was one of the young players I didn't want the Blaugrana to lose but I knew if someone was smart, they'd target him to add to their side.

http://www.marca.com/2013/05/22/en/football/barcelona/1369206060.html

HIS BUY-OUT CLAUSE FOR NOT PLAYING MINIMUM NUMBER OF GAMES
United's €18 million Thiago bid
LUIS F. ROJO. BARCELONA 05/22/2013

Manchester United is looking to contract Thiago Alcantara for next season. It will not even have to enter into negotiations with Barcelona if it stumps up a figure of €18 million, a proposal under serious consideration.

That is the total for the player's current buy-out clause. Thiago renewed his contract two seasons ago when his release fee was set at €90 million. This amount was reduced, however, to €18 million if he did not play a fixed number of games. And that is exactly what has happened.

The player's salary should also not present a problem for his departure. The midfielder currently earns €1.8 million a season, a sum which could easily be topped by a number of European clubs.

Bayern Munich would be another option. Guardiola was always one of his supporters when at Barcelona. In fact it was Pep who backed the payment of his salary, breaking from the general footballing norm that players of his age who moved up to the first team received between €1 million to €1.5 million.

Thiago has not been happy with the way this season has gone for him, a factor that could hasten his exit. Vilanova has not used him very much, at least, not as much as the player wanted. He ranks sixteenth in terms of minutes played throughout the season.

Last edited:
^^ I hope United pulls the trigger on that 18m deal. At 22, he's still got a lot of years left in those legs.

With Anderson, Nani, and PLEASE BY THE GRACE OF GOD Young gone, there will be a need for a creative midfielder.

It's a damn shame that Young is injured so it'll make his sale damn near impossible...

^^ I hope United pulls the trigger on that 18m deal. At 22, he's still got a lot of years left in those legs.

With Anderson, Nani, and PLEASE BY THE GRACE OF GOD Young gone, there will be a need for a creative midfielder.

It's a damn shame that Young is injured so it'll make his sale damn near impossible...

Looks like Kloop is driven to tears the way Man U has been using the attacking middie...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...t-breaks-to-see-kagawa-played-out-of-position

By Joe Doyle
21 May 2013 08:10:00
The Borussia Dortmund coach says the Japan international is one of the best in the world, but it brings him to tears to see the midfielder playing a bit-part role at Old Trafford

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp says it breaks his heart to see Shinji Kagawa playing a bit-part role at Manchester United on the left wing.

The Japan international departed Germany for Old Trafford last summer following two successive Bundesliga titles at the Signal Iduna Park.

But Kagawa was restricted to just 17 starts in the Premier League this season, and Klopp says it is heart-breaking to see such a good midfielder played out of position.

"It could not be our way to do things like Real and Bayern and not think about taxes - and let the next generation pick up our problems," Klopp told The Guardian.

"We need to work seriously and sensibly. We have this amount of money so we can pay that amount. But we lose players. Last year it was Shinji Kagawa.

"Shinji Kagawa is one of the best players in the world and now he plays 20 minutes at Manchester United - on the left wing! My heart breaks. Really, I have tears in my eyes.

"Central midfield is Shinji's best role. He's an offensive midfielder with one of the best noses for goal I ever saw.

"But for most Japanese people it means more to play for Man Utd than Dortmund. We cried for 20 minutes, in each others' arms, when he left."

Costs are not cheap.

Interesting NYC move though, I wonder where the stadium will be.

I guess they're setting up a derby situation there with the red bulls...

They did say Yankee stadium is an option or they might build a stadium in queens.

Looks like Kloop is driven to tears the way Man U has been using the attacking middie...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...t-breaks-to-see-kagawa-played-out-of-position

I agree 100%. Playing Kagawa out of position when Rooney wasn't even performing was simply ridiculous in my opinion. You could see Kagawa was getting comfortable and gathering pace, and Rooney simply wasn't. Having Kagawa play out in the wing is straight disrespectful to a man who just came off the back of winning 2 Bundesliga's, a DFB and a few team of the seasons...

It's going to be fun watching Pep & Kloop battling it out for the top spot of Bundesliga in the next couple of years. It sounds like Kloop wants to stay at Dortmund for a bit. I hope that's true.

It's going to be fun watching Pep & Kloop battling it out for the top spot of Bundesliga in the next couple of years. It sounds like Kloop wants to stay at Dortmund for a bit. I hope that's true.

No it's not. Dortmund will sell some of there top players, they won't be the same team next year. As for Bayern, all they have to do is what they're doing right now, with even more world class pieces. They'll run away with the league again.

Shouldn't even be close next year, again.

No it's not. Dortmund will sell some of there top players, they won't be the same team next year. As for Bayern, all they have to do is what they're doing right now, with even more world class pieces. They'll run away with the league again.

But while bayern spends money on established players Dortmund on the other hand has good youth academy and talent scouting. They ship off their best player IMO from last year in Shinji, still make the cl finals and still finish with a cl spot for next season. You never know

I beginning to get the picture that CoupeIt88 likes complaining about footy more than actually liking it... :rolleyes :tongue: :D (just kidding, kind of...)

You're right tkim1343, Dortmund has a strong youth academy as do a lot of the top Bundesliga teams. Take for example Freiburg who I think finished 4th or 5th in the Bundesliga. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of their players came up through their youth academy.

Dortmund will be fine. Losing players like Gotze & possibly Lewandowski is something that happens to teams enjoying the success they've recently experienced but they seem to have a plan/program they stick to that's worked recently but the key is in keeping Kloop. It's remarkable they've brought themselves back from being the debt ridden team they were some years ago. I actuallly think there is a chance Lewandowski will stay.

But while bayern spends money on established players Dortmund on the other hand has good youth academy and talent scouting. They ship off their best player IMO from last year in Shinji, still make the cl finals and still finish with a cl spot for next season. You never know

They shipped Kagawa BECAUSE they already found Gotze.

Who's going to replace Gotze now? Reus? Talented, but that's not where he's best.

Besides, it's risky business selling your players acting like you're growing new ones in teh backyard...especially when they're not tested and proven...

Who's going to replace Gotze now? Reus? Talented, but that's not where he's best.

Besides, it's risky business selling your players acting like you're growing new ones in teh backyard...especially when they're not tested and proven...

Tell that to Ajax Porto and Benfica, they seem fine.

Btw that circumcise thread :rofl:

I've seen him in that role, and I've seen him concede goals that a CDM shouldn't. He is a bit lazy or lost at the moment, especially on the defensive side. Which is strange cause he either plays at the back or as CDM. I think because they're shifting him around a bit, he's caught up between two positions. I think if he was to settle in CDM, he would not be as lazy/lost and have a more physical presence.

Lazy is the one thing he isn't. It's just obvious he is't a natural midfielder. As a defensive/holding miidfielder, you need to be able to play the man as a marker, play the space as a screener, and/or play the ball as a destroyer. He doesn't really excel at any of those roles as his reads from the center of the park aren't up to par. He can destroy just fine, but that alone is a waste of his talents. That said, I wouldn't mind him at Barca as a center half. He turns well, has plenty of pace, and is quality on the ball which makes him ideal.

I saw the headline on the cover you posted about Alcantara so I had to look it up...Damn. Thialgo was one of the young players I didn't want the Blaugrana to lose but I knew if someone was smart, they'd target him to add to their side.

I wouldn't be happy at all if he was sold. If any mid is to be put on the market it should be Cesc.

On the other hand, I'm very pleased Neymar looks set to be coming in.

Reus is just as good through the middle. Gladbach qualified for the CL last season with him playing there. They will be fine if they can bring in a striker like Dzeko, and a mid who can play wide and cross well like Kevin DeBruyne. Considering Bayern's side next season, the league will be a tough prospect, but they should compete on all fronts. Their most valuable asset is still their brilliant manager.

Last edited:
Random thought here.

I wonder if Moyes will hold onto Welbeck. I know SAF was a believer in Welbeck cause he really puts in a shift and gives it his all. But he did so this season, and was what some analysts say, United's most ineffective player. I know I've often said he has all the right tools, but I'm wondering if he's going to learn how to use those tools anytime soon....

I have a feeling Moyes keeps the majority of the squad for next season & then come 2014-2015, fully starts to change around the team.

If Man City gets Cavani and teams him upfront with Sergio :yikessssss

My "Pre transfers, early prediction" to win the epl next season if Pellegrini gets his targets. Especially if he grabs Isco to bring to
city

I have a feeling Moyes keeps the majority of the squad for next season & then come 2014-2015, fully starts to change around the team.

If Man City gets Cavani and teams him upfront with Sergio :yikessssss

My "Pre transfers, early prediction" to win the epl next season if Pellegrini gets his targets. Especially if he grabs Isco to bring to
city

I don't know man,with Chelsea being allocated a small countries GDP. It will be tough to call...

Reus is just as good through the middle. Gladbach qualified for the CL last season with him playing there. They will be fine if they can bring in a striker like Dzeko, and a mid who can play wide and cross well like Kevin DeBruyne. Considering Bayern's side next season, the league will be a tough prospect, but they should compete on all fronts. Their most valuable asset is still their brilliant manager.

Aside from Kloop, the other thing that's made Dortmund so good the last several years is their scouting. It's something to marvel at.

They got Kagawa from the J-league 2nd division for £300,000... They turned around & transferred him to Man U & used that money to get Rues who I think has played well. He's not a force in every game but I think he's delivered when it mattered the most in big games.

I just looked it up & he has 22 goals and 18 assists in 53 games for Dortmund & the German national team in 2012-13. :D

Bringing back Nuri Sahin was very shrewd also. I think Gotze leaving Dortmund might end up being a blessing in disguise as he's been getting injured. Tearing his hammy isn't a good sign either. That can be a nagging injury if it's not treated correctly.

I thought I read somewhere Dortmund might target Christian Eriksen (Ajax) also which would definitely mitigate the loss of Gotze.

The bottom line is Dortmund will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom