The UTAH JAZZ Support Group thread: Majorly updated.

:smokin that reminded me of Sunidata Gaines shot against the cavs. Hayward and Favors looked great. Gobert is insanely long (pause) Im excited for this year and how we match up. Hopefully we can get a run like the suns had only making the playoffs this time

Early returns on Snyder's offense...

Second in offensive efficiency
Fifth in true shooting
Fifth in rebound rate
12th in assist rate

Hayward is 14th in value over replacement player, 20th in true shooting and 29th in efficiency rating.

Favors is 10th in efficiency rating and 20th in value over replacement player.

Those two taking the next step. :smokin

Unfortunately, the team has been quite bad defensively, and Burke has been completely irrelevant.

Only five games, though. Really tough first six games. If they can split with a win against Dallas tonight, that would be really encouraging.

Last edited:
Four out of five. :smokin

Through 30 games...

- Just a 10-20 record, but quality wins against the Suns, Cavs, Thunder, Spurs, Heat and Grizzlies feels like it might mean something for their development.

- Hayward and Favors look like legitimate cornerstones. Honestly, I never quite expected Favors to get to this level.

- Hayward's improved shot selection and Snyder's offense have put him where he should be, offensively. He has quietly been one of best in the league at getting to the line since last season, too. And he is still the best point guard on the team, unfortunately.

- Kanter has re-established himself, but I expect the up and down act will always continue.

- Gobert is a godsend. He is first in the world in block rate, and seventh in rebound rate. On his way to being one of the best defenders in the world. Like, tomorrow.

- The question is, can Favors, Kanter and Gobert all get the appropriate amount of playing time?

- Burke has been a huge disappointment so far. I have no idea what to think of him, except that there really isn't any reason why he shouldn't be better.

- Meanwhile, Dennis Schroder looks like one of the most improved players in the league. I think Burke over him is going to haunt the organization very soon. Always preferred Schroder.

- Exum is still a mystery. There are signs of greatness, and signs of him being a 19-year-old coming to a new continent, too.

- I still like Burks more as a sixth man, and I would love to see a good, veteran shooting guard come in over the summer to push him into that role.

- Booker is perfect for this group.

- Snyder seems perfect for this group.

- They have to eventually become a great defensive team with Gobert, Favors, Exum, Hayward and Burks, right?

I haven't, really. Just can't stand 80% of the roster.

Burks will have shoulder surgery, and is out for the season. Hopefully, it affords Exum a huge increase in playing time.

Exum needs to be more aggressive. Put that unreal first step to good use. Hopefully Burks injury will force him out of his shell a little bit.

Gobert monstery...

1st in opponent field-goal percentage at the rim (among players that defend at least six attempts a game)
1st in block rate
3rd in defensive +/-
7th in rebound rate
19th in PER

The +/- one is especially impressive, considering that the Jazz aren't doing a whole lot of succeeding, and the rest of the top five are tried and true elite defenders on top-notch teams (Tim Duncan, Draymond Green, Tony Allen and Joakim Noah).

Last edited:
Of the 69 qualified for that defense at the rim stat, Gobert is 1st at 38.5%, Favors is 26th (49.0%), and Kanter is 64th (57.9%).

Rudy is the man. I love what I have seen from him this year. I still don't know what to think about Trey.

In;

Kendrick Perkins (getting bought out)
Grant Jerrett (21-year-old stretch four)
The rights to Tibor Pleiss (25-year-old seven-footer)
First-round pick (Thunder)
Second-round pick (Pistons)

Out:

Kanter
Novak

I am somewhat underwhelmed. I wanted Kanter to be moved because I didn't see him getting paid with Gobert emerging, and I understand the value of the return, but it seems like there had to be a better deal than that. Who knows about Pleiss' arrival. A first-round pick from the Thunder might as well be a second. Jerrett does intrigue me, though.

I just hope that they can work to add a starting-caliber young veteran in the backcourt. I think there is such a thing as too much youth, no matter how talented. It is about time to use all of these assets to infuse some experience to the core group.

Uodated assets:

Roughly $12-15 million in cap space
The rights to Raul Neto
The rights to Ante Tomic
The rights to Pleiss
2015 first-round pick
2015 second-round pick
2015 second-round pick (from the Nets)
2016 first-round pick
2016 second-round pick
2016 second-round pick (from the Warriors)
2017 first-round pick
2017 first-round pick (from the Warriors)
2017 second-round pick
2017 second-round pick (from the Warriors)
2017 second-round pick (from the Knicks)
2017 second-round pick (from the Pistons)
2018 first-round pick
2018 second-round pick
2018 second-round pick (from the Nuggets)
Unknown first-round pick (from the Thunder)

Last edited:
At least their GM is working. My teams list is like 4 picks the next 5 years. :lol:

Need to find what year that Thunder pick is. 2016-17 could be time to strike.

We still can't sign free agents. And everybody that is good for us leaves and becomes even better in Chicago or Atlanta :frown:

At first was really upset with the trade. I think Kanter can do really good things in this league. I'm giving Lindsay the benefit of the doubt here though, he comes from San Antonio and it seems anything that comes from there is golden. We will never get the big name free agents here but hopefully we can use that huge list of assets to do something. At least we aren't Philadelphia...

I am always a proponent of any team acquiring Morrow.

Would have taken cheerleader Lamb over Pleiss, Jerrett and both picks.

Blowing out a top-five team (season-low 76 points for the Blazers) coming out of the break and coming off of a huge trade feels like a key step in development.

Two months ago in here:
They have to eventually become a great defensive team with Gobert, Favors, Exum, Hayward and Burks, right?
It's progressing very quickly.

Last edited:
So what's up with Exum? Don't hear anyone talking about him...

After all the hype, is he just simply not the phenom everyone thought he would be?...

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't expect a fairly raw 19-year-old coming from the other side of the world to set the league on fire right away.

Poor shooter, risk-taker, needs time to adjust physically and mentally, tremendous slasher and athlete, good vision, huge defensive potential. I feel like that was pretty much the book on him coming in, and that's what has shown itself so far.

He's got a way to go. I don't expect him to ever be a star or anything. I'm not even very sure of where he fits in, positionally or role-wise. But, I think the team is finally beginning to carve out its niche - defense (and the Kanter trade speaks to it, too) - and he can be a major part of that.

I am still gassed up about the Blazers win. Huge.

Last edited:
I still believe in him. He's one **** given (and probably a new team) away from being a good two-way player.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom