The UTAH JAZZ Support Group thread: Majorly updated.

So frustrating. 20 turnovers and 12 missed free throws in a one-possession game. Against that team, at home, after those previous two wins.

Feel like Utah is the pinnacle of obscure role players emerging seemingly out of nowhere. Ingles was playing well for a stretch and now Millsap is cutting into his minutes and production.

This is so much fun right now.

All things considered, I thought the season was going pretty well. Hayward and Favors turning into legitimate leaders, Gobert developing, Kanter bouncing back after a pretty rough season, Burke starting to find his way after a terrible start to this one. The wins weren't there (and no one should have expected them to be), but progression from the core was happening.

Then, Gobert steps into the starting lineup for a few games. Then, Kanter gets traded, and Gobert is completely freed.

All of a sudden, this **** is in hyperdrive. Going from expecting growth to expecting victories in no time. MASSIVE strides.

Legitimately a franchise-changing couple of weeks.

Kanter has played well in OKC tho. One of those moves that helps both teams.

If Exum can bloom, then they really take a leap goin forward.

I don't care either way, but I think Kanter will continue to be the same inconsistent player.

The offense, before and after the Gobert/Kanter shift:

View media item 1431224
Virtually unchanged, while the defense has been exponentially better.

Heeeeeeeey

​"There's obviously different types of aggression," Exum says. "But the way I look at it is, if you watch Gordon [Hayward] play, he's looking at the second line of defense. He beats his man easy and then it's about creating the contact to finish. Sometimes I get in there and it's trying to finish over someone with the floater. It's about going in and making the contact and being aggressive in being hit."
Knowing this and internalizing it are very different matters. There are games where Exum is deliberately more assertive, whether by his own determination, Quin Snyder's instruction, or some other influence. But clearly his comfort level in handling NBA defenses hasn't reached the point where applying pressure comes naturally.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/03/03/dante-exum-utah-jazz-the-craft

Last edited:
8-3 in the last 11.

Wins:

Kings, by 12
@ Pelicans, 4
Blazers, 16
Spurs, 9
@ Nuggets, 18
Bucks, 7
@ Grizzlies, 11
@ Sixers, 6

Losses:

@ Mavs, 5
Lakers, 5
@ Celtics, 1

They should have beaten the Lakers and Celtics, but it's still a damn good run.

Last edited:
@Lockedonsports Since Feb. 1, the Jazz's defensive rating (points per 100 possessions) is 95.7, first in the league. The next closest is Indiana at 97.5, and Portland at 97.8.
View media item 1436017
Playing like the new Grizzlies. Games are UGLY. Salt Lake City is a tough place to play, too.

Last edited:
They're trading their lotto pick this year right? I feel like that's what they'll do. They got enough youngsters as is.

might just be me, but i'd love to see utah get another wing that can space the floor. whether it's through the draft, trade or free agency.

What about RJ Hunter next to Gordon Hayward? 

Quin Snyder was so overdue for a coaching job. Glad to see him getting these guys going. Lakers probably goofed by not giving him the job, but irrelevant with the roster that they've assembled anyways.

I hope they shop the pick. It just seems like it would have happened already if that was the plan.

I have long thought that a scoring guard of the veteran variety is probably the biggest need. Don't forget about Burks, though. I have never been a huge fan, and like him more as a sixth man, but he can score and got paid like a starter, so.

Last edited:
Yea, I like Burks as a 6th man type. They have to get someone else who can help space the floor in that lineup. How about throwing money at Khris Middleton? I bet Milwaukee matches anything, though. 

Afflalo and Stuckey could be some solid vet FA options. Stuckey probably would take that slight overpay and come to Utah. Can't see how Portland lets Afflalo walk after Matthews went down.

Matthews was always someone that I had in mind. Also, Kevin Martin, until I realized he was a couple years older than I thought. Danny Green, Courtney Lee...

I guess I'll throw it out there: J.J. Redick.

Deadeye shooter, can create off screens and pick-and-rolls, decent defender and locked up for two more seasons after this one.

It would help the Clippers infuse some new blood and give some breathing room in regards to their cap situation.

Edit:

Redick for like the 9 to 11th pick in the draft sounds like bad value on the surface. :lol:

Last edited:
JJ would be a good look. not sure what it would cost to get him but definitely a good shooter for the Jazz.

9-3 in the last 12.

The league-average offensive rating (points per 100 possessions) this season is 105.4.

The last 11 games (don't have tonight's yet), they have allowed:

114.1*
108.4*

League-average effective field goal percentage: 49.4.

Last 11 opponents:

50.0*

And the numbers against the Nets are going to be great, too.

Against five surefire playoff teams (four in the West) and one on the cusp in the West. Seven of the 12 games on the road.

Crazy.

Last edited:
Outstanding play as of late. We're gonna play spoiler to a lot of playoff teams this year.

Just had fun reading through this whole thread.

Man, I hated Ty Corbin. He really was the worst. Leaning on that collection of veteran dung, blackballing Gobert, running a directionless offense...

My read on Gobert from even before the draft may be my crowning achievement in life. :lol:

Burke over Schroder still burns.

It's all happening now, though. Felt pretty good about this season and Snyder, and it is turning into a magical one in its own way.

Can't help but wonder where they might be right now if the Gobert/Kanter power shift happened early in the year, but there is no way anyone could ever second-guess Snyder/management for that.

Last edited:
By all means brag about the Gobert pick... that was a great analysis and prediction.

He's a monster.

Back
Top Bottom