The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Welp, LA show is on sale. No lower level seating available to purchase at all 
sick.gif
 either $350 for a floor seat or $150 for upper level. What gives breh

I'm coming around to the album :smh:, but the magic that is felt from everything before isn't here. I believe my biggest gripe is the generic production. It's like watered down XO vibes, or none at all on certain tracks. I'm addicted to that drowning in the music feeling and this album meanders, staying mostly in the light.

I'm even coming around to Angel, sheesh. Paws but dude's voice is gravitating.

I still stand by my sentiment that for him, this is sub-par. But I don't listen to anyone else tbh. It's MJ, Weeknd. Weeknd, MJ.

Last edited:
The amount of money that will be made from this tour and how much they're charging for these arenas 
eek.gif

All the floor seats are gone selling from $350-600 per ticket for the LA shows. This is nuts... I'm assuming third parties mass purchased? Two areana shows sold out in less than one minute 
eek.gif
albeit there was pre sale, but still, it's an entire arena on two different nights... nuts

Last edited:
I think the reason the album is lacking is the production

The Weeknd has always had amazing selection

He did rolling stone with just acoustic guitar and it was raw and fire

He did piano based Earned It and it was whatever but it became a hit

But the acoustic guitar/piano based songs on this I mostly don't like

Real life (piano)
Losers (piano)
Earned it (piano)
Shameless (guitar)
Dark Times (guitar)
Angel (piano)

I need them dirty synths in my life

This is probably a by product or cause of losing Doc

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you guys would like earned it if it wasn't so popular/came out in 2011 :lol: :lol:

Also how you don't like shameless :smh:

I think the reason the album is lacking is the production

The Weeknd has always had amazing selection

He did rolling stone with just acoustic guitar and it was raw and fire

He did piano based Earned It and it was whatever but it became a hit

But the acoustic guitar/piano based songs on this I mostly don't like

Real life (piano)
Losers (piano)
Earned it (piano)
Shameless (guitar)
Dark Times (guitar)

Angel (piano)
I need them dirty synths in my life

This is probably a by product or cause of losing Doc
Repped Co-sign. It's like you read my mind. Minus the Shameless hate but I wouldn't mind it over a darker beat. I still like the album though

Just copped my tickets for Oracle in Oakland..told yall I wasn't missing him this time around :smokin

As for the album, I can understand what people mean by saying it feels it bit lack luster. A lot of his core fans are use to that very dark/debauchery/drugged up type XO music (which I love too), but as seeing he's tying to go more pop/mainstream, he does have to water it down a bit to reach a broader audience (especially since he gained a lot of new fans after Earned It/50 Shades of Grey). Hence why the production is probably a bit on the simpler side compared to his past works (Also because this is the first full length album that Abel has produced most of the tracks on) . Both this album and Kiss Land seem "watered down" to most core Weeknd fans imo.

I've listened to the album a bunch the past week or so, still trying to find that one track that gives me that :x feeling, but sadly I think that track is "The Hills", which was put out already. I was hoping for another track to match that energy that wasn't similar sonically, but it just wasn't there. I think the reason why is because on the production end of things, a lot of these tracks lack the hard, modulated synths that we're use to and love to much when it comes to Weeknd's music. For me, the album plays A LOT smoother when you delete "Often" and "Earned It" from the track list. I like Often, but that came out last year and has been played out, and I never liked Earned It so..there's that. "Dark Times" is an alright track, but I dunno, I tend to skip it.

"Angel" could've been a lot better IMO, the way they handled his vocals on there was VERY VERY boring to me, but that's just me. What I do love is how they re-did "90's" and flipped it into "Acquainted", but still added a but of the original version at the end. When I burned this to a CD, after I deleted Often and Earned It, I just added the CDQ of "90's" after Acquainted for fun. I wanted to add in "King of The Fall" as well but I never got around to it.

I know avoiding leaks makes the first time experiencing the album better, but also, I love seeing how artists and producers switch up and change the leaked tracks on the final cut of the album. I feel like it helps me understand where they're tying to go with the album sonically. Even though I heard the 4 leaked tracks (Hills, 90s, In The Night, Cant Feel My Face), It didn't lose any replay value to me when I heard the full album.

Overall, a decent album. Didn't leave me feeling full and satisfied like The Trilogy, but kind of more like a really good thin crust pizza. Taste is great, but just not filling.

7.7/10

Last edited:
Don't slander Kissland

You guys will never witness the greatest of Asa Akira and London Keys go at it on the big screen during the beat change on Kissland the song with The Weeknd killing it on the mic

Last edited:
Repped Co-sign. It's like you read my mind. Minus the Shameless hate but I wouldn't mind it over a darker beat. I still like the album though

I think these songs with piano/guitar are the "BEAUTY" while the rest of the album with the dirty synths we're feeling is the "MADNESS"

I'm gonna try to split them upbas such and give it a listen

Son lowkey dropped a double EP on us

Also something weird happened today when I downloaded the album from my pre order. The hills single got taken off my iphone and then when I go to see if the it transferred as part of the album it wasn't there. When I would search BBTM on itunes store it would show up as "purchased" but I couldn't do anything with it like the other songs. Then when I searched the song single it would pop up and says buy now for $1.29. WTH

Some may disagree with me, but I don't see how you could rate an album after one spin.
I agree, however I will say that it's different in these days of leaks and what not. Think about it, we heard almost half the album before it came out

That in itself effected the perception off the bat for me. I felt like I already had such a big part of the album conceptualized and processed

At the same time, I believe you can figure out pretty quickly just how the new project stacks up against previous works. I listened to the thing non stop, and my initial opinion has stayed the same in comparison to KL-- BBTM is a good album but not held in high as esteem as his previous

Last edited:

Also something weird happened today when I downloaded the album from my pre order. The hills single got taken off my iphone and then when I go to see if the it transferred as part of the album it wasn't there. When I would search BBTM on itunes store it would show up as "purchased" but I couldn't do anything with it like the other songs. Then when I searched the song single it would pop up and says buy now for $1.29. WTH
SAMW THING happened to me, The Hills and ICFMF smh. 

Back
Top Bottom